Picture Of The Month .. Nov 07.

MrWiggly

Gozzer, exactly what has happened? Topic was/is open for comments, I have posted my comments.

Did you not expect anyone to pass an opinion?

No critisism of how they were picked, no "badgering of the judge",just a plain and simple comment on the final 6.

I expect the old "sour grapes" to rear it's head again.........................but I really would like to hear other comments, if only to see where I am going wrong :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gozzer, exactly what has happened? Topic was/is open for comments, I have posted my comments.

Did you not expect anyone to pass an opinion?

No critisism of how they were picked, no "badgering of the judge",just a plain and simple comment on the final 6.

I expect the old "sour grapes" to rear it's head again.........................but I really would like to hear other comments, if only to see where I am going wrong :)

Den

I didn't say you had Den.

Topic is 'open for comments', That I presumed was comments about the entries, not about the judging.

Maybe 'badgering' was too strong, (I apologise), but I still feel that there is pressure being put on Judy to justify her selections. (That's how it looks to me).

Ajays comment about using a pin was uncalled for, in my opinion.

As I said, some are not able to give explanations, (I know I would struggle myself), so I think that the judges choices should be accepted and voted on as they stand.

If a judge feels able to justify his/her choices, then thats great, but not everyone can.

Yours was a constructive post on the merits of the last six, as you see them, that's fine.

But some of the posts weren't, and wanted something that Judy either couldn't, or didn't want to provide.

As for "sour grapes", the thought never entered my head. It makes no difference to me who wins, I didn't enter this time.

But Judy's quite capable of explaining the situation herself, and no doubt will, when she gets the time.

This was just my view on the comments so far.

The last thing I want is for an argument to spoil a comp' with a great selection of photos, like this one. But I would ask those of you that are 'into' photography in a big way, to remember, that to most it's a 'fun comp', and that's the best thing about it.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Cheers Gozzer :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Ajays comment about using a pin was uncalled for, in my opinion.

Really? Well it obviously wasn't your pic that lost out to a pin.

Now just read the quote below taken from here

Judging.

-----------

The judge for the current competition will select what he/she considers to be the best 6 (six) entries.

Entries will be judged on their technical merits (Exposure/Sharpness/Colour etc.) as well as subject matter and presentation.

No mention there of a pin (or a hat).

So, please tell me how do you take a picture which might be considered one of the best by a pin?

Edited by ayjay

Afraid I really dont care anymore ,I really tried hard to pick these pictures ,which ever picture I had picked someone would be disapointed.I even asked if I could have more than 6 winners then the pin would have been irrelevant.... perhaps instead of a set number of pictures to be picked it should be a percentage of the total entered then when there is a big entry the judge could be allowed to pick more ... I am not knowledgeable enough about photography to give the bloody technical stuff you all want ,I have just picked the ones I liked .

Thank God I won't find my self in this position again as I will be sticking to "Photo of The Day" in future after all I have won the competion three times all ready. :P

I take pictures because I love taking them,

I was going to make comments tonight about each picture and my reasons but afraid I feel really angry and let down after a week's deliberations so I will not be contributing anymore for a while.

Judith

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

NurseJ - you've done an extremely difficult job very well. I would be very disappointed if you decided not to contribute to December's comp because of this.

In one comp that I had to judge, I had to toss a coin between two entries that I felt equally deserved to be in the final three. It shows that the standard is that good. I'd be interested to hear of a better, more 'objective' way of having to make a decision, in circumstances where the quality of photos to go into the final melting pot are such that you cannot decided that one picture deserves to go in over another. There is, quite simply, no other way to do it. I'd have done (and have done) the very same thing myself, if I considered that I could not choose one over another.

This is a 'fun' comp. The whole idea of this format is to encourage more and more entries. To get people who have not entered before to become involved. So lets do that, huh?

Judy - good job, well done.

Rant over.

Edited by Westie

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Amazing sour grapes from some people here, Judy isn't a professional photographer, or critic, as she says, she takes pictures because she loves taking pictures, simple as that, so to take her to task for daring to make a selection that either doesn't include your picture, or isn't the selection you would have made is ridiculous.

As far as I know there are no professional photographers using this competition, only amateurs with varying degrees of keenness and ability, some who presumably take pictures for the love of it, some who need to take perfectly exposed, sharp, well composed and framed images, and some who do a bit of both. It's not always the case though that the technical photographers take the best images, in fact from what I've seen it rarely is, people either have an eye for a good shot or they don't, and all the swanky kit and knowledge of f-stops won't make up for an intrinsic lack of talent.

Keep taking pictures Judy, and don't let anyones negative comments here put you off, the forum is a better place with you actively contributing.

Whatever anyone says though, if Westies frozen fence post doesn't win, it's an outrage :)

There's no sour grapes here.

I just feel that pictures for the final should be selected on merit (as seen by the judge), if mine are not amongst them then that's fine, I have no problem with that, but a competition should be a competition and not a lottery.

There's no sour grapes here.

I just feel that pictures for the final should be selected on merit (as seen by the judge), if mine are not amongst them then that's fine, I have no problem with that, but a competition should be a competition and not a lottery.

What would you do to choose between two equally (in the mind of the judge) photographs then :rolleyes:

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Jeeps, "if Westies frozen fence doesn't win" Only one vote so far.....mine :) Perhaps you should vote?

Where is the sour grapes, losing out to a pin is not sour grapes, can't anyone make a simple comment without being accused of sour grapes?

Perhaps there should be a rule saying "No comments or critisism allowed", until after voting has closed.It still won't change my mind about any of the final 6, I speak as I see it. I did not ask Judy to justify her choice, I did not critisize her choice, but I did say what I thought about the pics. Others seem to agree with my constructive comments, which would have been the same regardless of who chose them. This is not to say my comments were right, though it was pointed out that the saturated sky in one shot, may have been due to using a polaroid filter. I learnt something from that, and maybe others will as well.

This should not be about who chose what or why, simply about the pics on show

Den