Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

I havn't contributed to the youth/violence discussion as I'm pointedly giving myself a break from such stuff. The last 3 full time working years I had were managing a development project aimed at supporting socially marginalised young people, specifically those who identify as LGBT (lesbian, gay,bisexual and transgender), many of whom had become the victims of the type of hate and violence which you have talked about. As part of my work I took a post grduate diploma in 'youth and community' studies and so am up to the ears in the theories which set out to explain the latest 'moral panics' over the behaviour of young people.

The role included conducting workshop type sessions and leading discussions in schools and colleges to increase awarness on the implications of discrimination towards what are loosley labelled minority groups, in some, but not all instances the venom directed towards those who do not fit into accepted as 'normal' categories based upon sexuality, gender expression and ethnicity was alarming.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are too many threads to answer bu I will post this one for you to think about - sorry but I don't have my microphone in order to be a comedian!

I have never made any bones about my religion. I am a Christian and proud to be so. I listen to others saying I'm a fool but so be it. In the Bible there are 10 commandments and one of them is THOU SHALT NOT KILL! - now this doesn't state Foxes, Rabbits, People or anything like that. It just states a fact. Please don't tell me what about food, I could fill pages about that (maybe the words for"sport" should be added).

I don't care be it a hedgehog that has been used for football practice, a dog, ignored and starved to death, a mangy old fox being killed by "the hunt", or a member of another gang in London - a killing for 'fun' is a killing.

As Cory said, his parents would have half killed him if they had caught him killing another wild animal. The answer is simple - RESPECT. I wish more people had it!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I sense a pause, perhaps a collective intake of breath? Do we really want to introduce religion into our debate? The can of worms, (as well as the box of maggot, tin of sweetcorn, bag o' boilies etc) will be well and truly opened wide!

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

There are too many threads to answer bu I will post this one for you to think about - sorry but I don't have my microphone in order to be a comedian!

I have never made any bones about my religion. I am a Christian and proud to be so. I listen to others saying I'm a fool but so be it. In the Bible there are 10 commandments and one of them is THOU SHALT NOT KILL! - now this doesn't state Foxes, Rabbits, People or anything like that. It just states a fact. Please don't tell me what about food, I could fill pages about that (maybe the words for"sport" should be added).

I don't care be it a hedgehog that has been used for football practice, a dog, ignored and starved to death, a mangy old fox being killed by "the hunt", or a member of another gang in London - a killing for 'fun' is a killing.

As Cory said, his parents would have half killed him if they had caught him killing another wild animal. The answer is simple - RESPECT. I wish more people had it!

Amen

Salmon for tea and if Jesus pops round I'll share it with him.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I sense a pause, perhaps a collective intake of breath? Do we really want to introduce religion into our debate? The can of worms, (as well as the box of maggot, tin of sweetcorn, bag o' boilies etc) will be well and truly opened wide!

What's wrong Emma? Are you frightened of religion?

Lutra - you can fun if you like -but the fact remains that people today have lost that one important word RESPECT!!

How many complaints, idiotsnot indicating before turning, kids on cycles doing what THEY want and showing a fnger when you complain, parking on double yellows, insisting that WE want the fox hunt retuned,etc, etc.

Religious or secular it is the SAME!!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

My first thought about that statement is , 'another christian who is so full of themselves that they imagine that they are the only ones who have it right when it comes to spiritualty.

Not in the slightest 'frightened' , however I would have thought that a follower of any of the Abramic cults/religions wopuld have kept their head well well and truly down when it comes to theology and the relationship with other species. Yours for example has so many glaring contradictions as to make the whole concept ridiculous. 'thou shalt not kill' as you point out does not not specify which species should not be killed. Some see it as applying to humans only. If your propose extending that to other creatures then why doesnt the cult of christianity prohibit its followers from eating meat and wearing parts of the bodies of dead animals? or do you excuse yourself if others have killed them for you. Even if the latter is the case then I would level an accusation of guilt by implication and gross hypocracy. If you consider that the misery meat industry extends your 'respect' towards it's victims then your delusion is complete.

The bible states that god is pleased by the smell of burning animals of the sacrificail altar! So animals get their throats cut in his name, The same god who admonishes his followers for not commiting genicide as 'he' instructed, the same god who whispers in the ears of world leaders and tells them to go to war. It would be a joke of cosmic proportions if it weren't so tragic.

Edited by Emma two

THOU SHALT NOT KILL

Hmmm, That's always been a bit 'negotiable' KB, It depends on who's getting killed and whose doing the killing. Be careful when quoting scripture, it's easy for an opponent to quote back at you.

"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"

I'm not frightened of religion KB, but I find some of the religious as scary as hell.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Plenty of killing of fatted calves for returning bad boys in the Bible Klein! ;)

Seriously thopugh what you call "Religon" I simply call common human decency. Respect is a word used by both of us what ever we call it. And you are rght the youth have no respect for anything just listen to the way they talk to each other!

What ever is causing it we are just watching "cultural evolution" happening before our very eyes just as our predecessers did. Where it will lead to I dont know.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

"Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"

Christians have a whole hit list of people who they are arrogant enough to put in the 'not suffer to live' category you can find it it the book of levicitus. While secular law happily prevents them from going around stoning us to death, they still manage to do their best to try and make life miserable for those who do not fit into their deluded views, ther last job I had involvesdincluded trying to repair the damage caused by jesus inspired hate crimes. To suggest that the cult promotes universal 'respect' is nonsense.