Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

I would love to see air rifles banned, as I honestly can't see any justification for them being allowed.

James Huckle, a young sportsman who began shooting with air rifles, has just won three Gold medals in the Junior Commonwealth Games. Matt Skelhon, who shoots air rifle 10-metre competitions, won Gold at the recent Paralympics and Mick Gault, who has won more medals for our country than pretty much anyone else, is a committed air rifle shooter.

Shooting air rifles has given me, and countless millions like me, untold hours of pleasure, in competition and in the hunting field. There are dozens of air rifle shooting clubs throughout the UK, filled with responsible shooters who enjoy the many pleasures shooting provides.

Some of us even earn a living in the airgun industry, and this country makes the best sporting airguns in the world, sustaining over 5000 jobs in the process.

Through teaching my sons to shoot successfully, they enjoyed achievement and the practical example of putting in extra effort for improved results. By teaching them to handle air rifles properly, I taught them to be responsible, safe, and aware that their actions could affect others. When involving my sons in work parties at my shooting clubs, I taught them to contribute and the value of working together for a common goal. Together, we helped raise thousands for charity, too.

Just a few of the many 'justifications' for owning and enjoying an air rifle - and there are many, many more.

As for 'being more controlled', do you realise just how 'controlled' they already are?

You can't buy an airgun until you're 18, by which time you can be driving for a year and married for two years.

Anyone under 14 can only use an airgun if under full supervision of an adult over 21. Over 14s can only shoot unsupervised on private land after permission to shoot has been granted. In both cases a crime is committed if a single pellet strays beyond the boundary of the designated shoot.

Any airgun used unlawfully is covered by EXACTLY the same laws as firearms, such as shotguns or live-ammunition guns. Breaking a window with an airgun is criminal damage and carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison. Even attempting to wound someone with an airgun carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.

The controls are already there - they just need to be used when people break the law.

Just a heads-up, really. Sorry about the long post.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your post was fine, you just needed the space to sum up how you feel.

I agree with you, specifically about the use of an air weapon as useful in introducing a young peson into safe an responsible gun use. I did exactly the same with my son who went on to use weapons as the tools of his trade, his sister wasn't interested as much, but she too knows the rudiments of weapons safety.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Some of us even earn a living in the airgun industry, and this country makes the best sporting airguns in the world, sustaining over 5000 jobs in the process.
I think I'd rather have a Weihrauch.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The last one i used lots was a Webley Tracker, and it did everything I wanted it to do. I found it especially useful because of it's short barrel and was easily manouvered in a land rover.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Your choice, but have you seen the latest Daystates? Electronic firing systems, chronoscopes built into the action, 16 levels of power adjustment, total consistency of output, and they'll put pellets on top of each other at 50 yards.

Marvellous. ;)

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Your choice, but have you seen the latest Daystates? Electronic firing systems, chronoscopes built into the action, 16 levels of power adjustment, total consistency of output, and they'll put pellets on top of each other at 50 yards.

Marvellous. ;)

I didn't even know they existed. Air Rifles for geeks!. I'm drooling over their web server as we I post. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote