Bait Boats

Chris Plumb

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam Anslow, manager of the Monument Fishery, a well-known carp complex near Telford in Shropshire, agrees. “We have an outright ban on bait boats here. They take the skill out of fishing and can easily lead to conflict. Ninety-five per cent of our anglers feel the same.”

There's a certain degree of irony in that statement, comming as it does from a guy who set out to create an instant big fish lake.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I don't have a problem with bait-boats provided their use doesn't interfere with other folks.

Not my idea of useful and no, I won't be buying one.

It amazes me that folk are prepared to pay such silly money for them though. For the price of a baitboat you can pick up a real one!

Not my idea of angling, but then bivvies and bolt rigs aren't either! But each to their own.

There's a certain degree of irony in that statement, comming as it does from a guy who set out to create an instant big fish lake.

Ken, that was my first thought too! Hardly a position to take the moral high ground is it.

Bait boats make me feel just a little sad and disappointed more than anything else. But then I sometimes use buzzers and self hooking rigs, so I'm sure my own fishing provokes the same reaction in other anglers.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

He didn't. Rob Hales dod.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I don't have to say what I think of them. Along with bite alarms and bolt rigs, they are on my 'not to do' list. :rolleyes:

But they have been the source of some amusement to me.

I was out with a relative from Scotland, and was driving near to a lake that I haven't fished for some time. (it got a bit too 'carpy' for me). <_<

I stopped and we went for a look at the water.

There were several bivvies set up, and as we stood near some trees, back from the water, a couple of guys decided to cast out.

When he saw the large weights being cast into the distance, my brother-in-law said, " That's just like fishing from the harbour wall back home, but without the boats".

The look on his face was priceless, when from behind some willows, came the biggest bait boat I've ever seen 'steaming' across the lake to dump it's cargo.

He stood there speechless, and watched as it made it's return trip.

He mumbled something in his broadest Ayrshire accent, that even I couldn't understand, and headed back to the car.

He still mentions it in disbelief some 2yrs later.

But as I said to him, each to his own. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Bait boats make me feel just a little sad and disappointed more than anything else. But then I sometimes use buzzers and self hooking rigs, so I'm sure my own fishing provokes the same reaction in other anglers.

I feel exactly the same.

Bait Boats are probably just big boys toy's like the Train sets were in the old days and give the Carp boys something to occupy their minds during their long sleeps.

As long as the boats don't interfere with my anglng (or other water life) why should I really care?.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

The main problem is that bait boats are limited to the model boat/land model radio frequencies by law, but a lot of them are imported and are being used illegally on other frequencies allocated to model aircraft etc. I have not heard of a conflict so far but the day cannot be far off. Plus of course if more than one boat is being used on a lake legal frequency or not then there is always a good chance of a couple of them using the same channel with some pretty interesting results.

Perhaps we ought to build some mini submarines to sink their Bait boats if they cause problems. they wouldnt even know why their boats sank if you didnt make it obvious. :D

Sorry I was daydreaming; It was just the boy in me coming out. but it was a pleasant dream though.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I suppose bait boats are useful in some situations but the thought of carrying yet another item to a peg is making my back ach.

As Peter says you can buy a proper sized boat for the same price.