Salami

ayjay

We probably have 'orses older than you Newt, never mind the tack. ;0

But if we made Salami we might have eaten them by now. :o

Flavour: Guiness, Marmite, Gentleman's Relish, Abbot Ale, Pickled onions, Horseradish sauce, I'm sure there's many more and better examples, but British food is full of flavour if you want it.

Ayjay

I think the rationing of the two world wars is what did for traditional British cooking, it is only the likes of Rick Stein with his food heroes and others, that have started a renaissance in what was a fine culinary tradition.

Unfortunately for most cooking still means a frozen pizza or burgers or a take away;, still whatever floats your boat it’s no good getting snobby about it.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Tony - I do understand irony after a hitch in the Navy wearing starched cotton white uniforms but quit doing it some years ago.

Don't own a boardy and while I think we may own an irony, I have no clue where it is. All perm press or other irony-free garments these days.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

But if we made Salami we might have eaten them by now. :o

Flavour: Guiness, Marmite, Gentleman's Relish, Abbot Ale, Pickled onions, Horseradish sauce, I'm sure there's many more and better examples, but British food is full of flavour if you want it.

I don't think that horse meat makes good salami. I have yet to see 'saucisson de cheval' for sale, but that is not to say that there is not some corner of France or maybe even Belgium where it can be found. Donkey meat salami is proper tucker. I don't know of any French folks who regularly buy horse meat. My sister-in-law buys it from time to time, but only because she is earning a fairly low salary as an auxillary nurse. We have a simple rule in our house, a rule enthusiastically enforced by my two nippers. You don't need to eat anything offered to you at table, but you must taste a particular dish before you can say 'I don't like that' and you have to revisit your dislikes from time to time too. Escargot anyone?

I may be getting a bit pedantic, but I thought that Guinness was Irish. Most Scots are not much better when it comes to food. Nine years in the Merchant Navy followed by ten married to a French lady changed my outlook on food no end.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Most Scots are not much better when it comes to food.

Good haggis is quite spicy, though. Having said that, my wife won't eat it, and the native Scottish dish she most craves is plain mince and tatties "with no herbs in it" :rolleyes:

It's a shame that the Auld Alliance didn't infuse traditional Scottish cookery with French cuisine.

Most traditional French cuisine is nothing to get excited about though Steve, the only two European native cuisines to get excited about are Spanish and Italian to my mind.

my old boss took us several miles down a dusty track to sample one of the best goose pate ? in france (he was always trying to impress me with french cuisine),turned out the resturant wasent much more than a tin shack but every table was full ,they enjoyed their goose whilst i ate the owners rabbit dinner not entirely happy with the manner the goose is treated ,he enjoyed his no doupt very expensive dinner whilst i certainly enjoyed the rabbit :D

a bottle of something no doupt very old was produced to drink ,i had french ribena i cant abide wine either.

i do like the ham though and had ham sandwiches for every meal whilst staying there once we tracked down real bread ,chesters1 is set in his ways.

went miles to sup something in a cafe under the marquis de sards castle ,i had a poor beer substitute ,pernod for the locals seemed to be the main tipple ,they enthused about the frenchness ,i only saw the matted mutt belonging to the owner begging for titbits and the rundownnesss of the place,

never the less on outings i did sample non goose food but couldnt taste anything because of the strange gravy ,gravy should only cover spuds not get slopped over everything so it all tastes the same. :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i did sample non goose food but couldnt taste anything because of the strange gravy ,gravy should only cover spuds not get slopped over everything so it all tastes the same. :rolleyes:

That's French food in a nutshell, over complicated sauces to make up for general shortfalls in the meat.

Jeepster

I am still using that Chorizo and white bean recipe of yours :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Good stuff Tony, it's a cracking dish :)

Spurred on by this thread I made some chorizo yesterday with a view to making that dish which I haven't had for a while. I also made some pork and sage sausages which will be the filling for my breakfast butties this weekend :)