Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Yes it is rubbish isnt it! Ive just tried here-

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ringwood-Precision-Engineering

They do a stainless 2mm wire but only in short (30cms ish) lengths. Might be worth enquiring?

Cheers Budgie. I don't know why I didn't learn from last time, it's NEVER easy!

You know how some old school carpers say they gave up carp fishing the day they saw packets of boilies in tackle shops for the first time? I reckon as soon as you can just go and buy a set of long-arm swingers, it's time to call it a day with the bream :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

2mm seems very thin the stainless on the swingers I originaly got to try and convert was 4mm if I remember right? If your sure it is 2mm you want (and they stock it) I could ask bruv to get you some (he has a "Metal Supermarket" near him he gets all our metal from.)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ebay was a good idea - just found this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STAINLESS-STEEL-ROUN...313db93ffbdcebb

If I can't get it locally, that'll do nicely. Now I just need to check that it's definitely 2mm I need...

Just saw your reply Budgie, yes I think you might be right! I need to check when I get home, 2mm does suddenly sound wrong.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

You got me at it now! think it might have been 3 not 4mm got to go and check! What Im realy interested in seeing is how you intend to counterbalance them. I couldnt figure out a good way of doing it on mine.

You got me at it now! think it might have been 3 not 4mm got to go and check! What Im realy interested in seeing is how you intend to counterbalance them. I couldnt figure out a good way of doing it on mine.

I couldn't do it on the old/present ones (the same as yours) and assumed that it wasn't actually necessary anyway, which did turn out to be the case. I'm tinkering now for the sake of it really, but I reckon the new ones will be better all round if they work like I hope they will.

There are 2 ways I can counterbalance them, and won't know which is the best until I get the right steel rod to play with.

I just tried and failed to describe it, and deleted it because it was gibberish! I'll do a couple of simple pics and attach them...

Bottom one looks like a contender.Dont see how the top one would work though.Even though the weight is behind the fulcrum. Maybe Paul will be able to tell us.Mind you after looking again it might be that Im just talking bollo!

Edited by BUDGIE

Yes, I think you're right (would also be good to get Paul's view). The top one is how they arrived from ebay, with short arms, and it's enough to counterbalance them currently. But I think with longer arms it won't be enough. The bottom one should work as I can leave as much arm as I like pointing backwards for the weight to sit on.

The wobble is solved because the 'hinge' is just the arm going through a hole in the plastic bit, which holds it nice and steady while still being very free running.

The weight is sliding on the arm, so can be set anywhere.

I really want the steel rod to be stiff enough because the wind just won't catch it. It does with the 6mm ali tube and is I think the main cause of the wobbles.

EDIT: another reason for the counterbalance is that I now have the stainless steel ball clips, which are not exactly light, and will add a fair amount of weight to the swinger head.

Edited by Anderoo

It actually is 2mm steel rod! I've just ordered 5 lengths of it from ebay (2 spares in case of mistakes). Now I just have to hope it's stiff enough. In the shorter lengths it's perfect...