Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

Amazing efforts guys, well done to both of you. One from the machine shop and one from the kitchen table top (my working environment) both designed to do the same thing. No news as to whether Anderoo's have registered any bites yet. Doesn't that boy take his laptop fishing?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Amazing efforts guys, well done to both of you. One from the machine shop and one from the kitchen table top (my working environment) both designed to do the same thing. No news as to whether Anderoo's have registered any bites yet. Doesn't that boy take his laptop fishing?

I did but Steve has once again failed to get power outlets and free wifi in every peg sorted out. It's like the 3rd world over there.

Several people saw the swingers over the weekend, some even saw them in action. Some people liked them, some didn't and some were not at all interested! Strange but true!

It was a good test of them actually, very varied conditions inluding a very strong and blustery NE wind, and plenty of bites. They do wobble in the wind but this doesn't cause false beeps like it did with bobbins. They show bites really well, including dropbacks, don't tangle and stay on the line until you strike, when they ping off nicely.

So basically they do everything I hoped they would and I'm really pleased with them!

Here's a couple of (anti)tackle tart shots:

DSCF1563.jpg

DSCF1568.jpg

PS 'varied conditions' included daytime sun so strong I am now burnt and night-time frost so hard I wrote the month and year in it:

DSCF1569.jpg

Brr!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I did but Steve has once again failed to get power outlets and free wifi in every peg sorted out. It's like the 3rd world over there.

Several people saw the swingers over the weekend, some even saw them in action. Some people liked them, some didn't and some were not at all interested! Strange but true!

It was a good test of them actually, very varied conditions inluding a very strong and blustery NE wind, and plenty of bites. They do wobble in the wind but this doesn't cause false beeps like it did with bobbins. They show bites really well, including dropbacks, don't tangle and stay on the line until you strike, when they ping off nicely.

So basically they do everything I hoped they would and I'm really pleased with them!

Here's a couple of (anti)tackle tart shots:

DSCF1563.jpg

DSCF1568.jpg

PS 'varied conditions' included daytime sun so strong I am now burnt and night-time frost so hard I wrote the month and year in it:

DSCF1569.jpg

Brr!

They look really good. Well done :thumbs: Looking at the pictures I am more frustrated than ever as it will be at least another two weeks before I will be able to make my first trip. Really really really looking forward to it.

Brr!

Sounds like a job well done, it must be very satisfying to see them action.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

It was fun to have a proper play with them, and a relief that they work OK. They do wobble more than I thought they would in a stiff wind but the alarms only beeped because of fish or undertow, which I can counter with added weights.

However, no indicator in the world makes any difference if your bait's in the wrong place, as Terry proved so well!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 4 months later...

I have been looking around for a milling machine for a while but to get something half decent means that they are either very expensive or too big for what I want. The main reason I wanted one is to machine the slots in swinger bodies as the slots are the most important element in controlling the movement of the arms and the way that I was doing them by drilling a series of holes, sawing through then filing was taking up a large amount of time. After some deliberation I finally decided to aquire a collett chuck for the lathe along with a set of collets and some end and slot mills.Tried a bit of milling for the first time last night and the result is quite good.It did highlight another problem though and I now need to get a graduated wheel for the leadscrew so that I can control the depth of cut. Hopefully I should have this on and fitted by the weekend but by going this way I will have saved myself a fair bit of money. I think a 6" 4 jaw chuck is next on the shopping list and some 5" aluminium blanks

First attempt below

post-8110-1282298750_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So Tinca and Richard, how have your bobbins/swingers worked out this season?

I've been very pleased with mine. They've worked very well considering how basic they are, showing bites, drop-backs and liners well, not tangling, and pulling off easily on the strike. They do wobble a bit in big winds but it doesn't cause the alarm to beep, so they are as windproof as I was hoping for.

However, for no good reason, I would like to stop the little wobbles. I guess once you start tinkering there's no end to it! I am also coming round to Tinca's view that a counterbalance is a good idea in some situations. So I have just ordered another set of 3 slightly different swingers off ebay (for less than a tenner) to butcher with those things in mind.

(I also just picked up a good condition Shimano baitrunner 5000 GTE for £38, bargain!)

So the Anderoo Mk II swingers will soon be in production :)

Edited by Anderoo

Now that is something to look forward to. The Anderoo Mk 2 swinghams. I think that you must have worn the Mk1s out this season :D I do not think that you will be able to completely stop the wobble but it does help considerably if you can contain the arm around the pivot pin. This is the one area where monkey climbers really come into their own. As far as my own swinghams are concerned, they have worked well but you will always be likely to get the odd beep in heavy wind and waves when striking a balance between too much weight and not enough. I did have a fiddle and tried making a housing which utilised a small needle bearing but it was far too comlicated and time consuming to make without giving any significant improvement. The big advantage to adjustable counterweights and balance weights is that you can set the indicator sytem to suit the conditions and the methodology used. Do you think that Richard may be having a little leaning toward swinghams as opposed to bobbins :o

Now that is something to look forward to. The Anderoo Mk 2 swinghams. I think that you must have worn the Mk1s out this season :D I do not think that you will be able to completely stop the wobble but it does help considerably if you can contain the arm around the pivot pin. This is the one area where monkey climbers really come into their own. As far as my own swinghams are concerned, they have worked well but you will always be likely to get the odd beep in heavy wind and waves when striking a balance between too much weight and not enough. I did have a fiddle and tried making a housing which utilised a small needle bearing but it was far too comlicated and time consuming to make without giving any significant improvement. The big advantage to adjustable counterweights and balance weights is that you can set the indicator sytem to suit the conditions and the methodology used. Do you think that Richard may be having a little leaning toward swinghams as opposed to bobbins :o

I'm not sure about Richard, I think he still loves his super-duper bobbins!

I'm not too concerned about the wobble really, it certainly doesn't affect performance, but I am keen to try to add in some sort of counterbalance. On my last session (in a big wind) I tested how much pull is required to move the swinger, and it is quite a lot. There's a fair amount of friction from the alarm roller, rod rings and swinger line clip. Again, in practice this hasn't been a problem and has probably helped, as proper bites are clear as day, but I'm getting into the winter tinkering again I think!

These are the ones I got this time - no idea if they'll be any use, but I think I have a plan for them:

post-8161-1284710876_thumb.jpg

I am also going to splash out on some ball clips for the swinger heads (they are solar, so easy to swap). That should reduce friction. The ones I have now are plastic.

Overall, I'm really pleased I made the switch from bobbins to swingers. On these big windy pits they are much better.

Sorry about the poor sketch but this may be one way that you cpould modify your existing swingers to incorporate a removeable counter balance. The attachment would sit on the arm in front of the pivot point to which the arm for the rear adjustable balance weight could also be inserted. If you need something making let me know.

post-8110-1284714128_thumb.jpg