Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

It actually is 2mm steel rod! I've just ordered 5 lengths of it from ebay (2 spares in case of mistakes). Now I just have to hope it's stiff enough. In the shorter lengths it's perfect...

Be interested in how you get on with the stainless because if its stiff enough like you say the ultra thin diameter will certainly be a bonus.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Anderoo, if you are thinking of making the whole swinger arm out of 2mm dia stainless I think that you will find that it bends like buggery at anything over a foot long in fact I have several lengths of same left over from previous experiments that you could have had to play with. The key to stopping the swinger arms wobbling is to contain the sideways movement of the arm which is difficult to achieve from the fulcrum point unless it done with very fine tolerances and the larger the dia of the pin and width of the housing then the less movement there woul be. It is for this reason that when playing about with the swingers that I found the most effective way of reducing wobble was to ensure that the arm either side of the fulcrum point was contained within a slot and even then there will always be a degree of wobble unless the arm was mounted on a bearing (similar principle to a centrepin) which I also tried but the amount of work involved in my opinion did not warrant the end result. The outline shown in the bottom sketch is fine in principle but for it to work properly you would need the appropriate degree of stiffness and rigidity in the swinger arm which I do not think you would get in solid low dia rod. For the shorter length for the balance weight it would not be as much of a problem as demonstrated by the numerous variants of swingers that are currently on the market. I honestly think that you will struggle with anything under 6mm dia hollow section with regard to maintaining a reasonable degree of stiffness.

Edited by tincatinca

For some reason, my gut instinct is that the wingham bream may be a bit easier to catch than bream which live and compete with big carp in many waters. I have not heard of any of the wingham men complain of carp taking their baits intended for bream :)

The ones I am after I have labeled as EDB's :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

For some reason, my gut instinct is that the wingham bream may be a bit easier to catch than bream which live and compete with big carp in many waters. I have not heard of any of the wingham men complain of carp taking their baits intended for bream :)

The ones I am after I have labeled as EDB's :)

Den

There's a publicity ban on reporting carp Den. Carp are thick and easy. I expect the Wingham bream are easier to catch than similar stock bream in carp lakes, if you've got loads of those idiot mud-hoovers to deal with :P They don't half ruin a good bream swim, blundering along like morons sucking away at the floor as they go.

Paul, thanks for that. I expect you're right (you usually are!). I've got some 2mm solid stainless rod on the way from ebay so I'll see what it's like when it arrives. I may well try to make these new ones a bit shorter than my present ones, I don't think I really need them that long in practice.

If not, I will go back to the 6mm solid ali tube, which is easy to get hold of and work with.

PS those free bits arrived from Solar - really excellent customer service :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Like Anderoo says Den we are banned from publicising big carp..................but they are such a pain in the backside!Landing them on bream gear wastes so much valuable bream fishing time! ;):D

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The 2mm stainless steel rods have arrived :) First impressions are that yes, they are rather bendy in the longer lengths. However, I think that once I've got the counterbalance on and the line is in the line clip, the wind won't affect them very much. I'll have a go at knocking one up soon and let you know if it works or not...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If you are struggling with the rigidity of the stainless why not think about using tool/silver steel instead? There are also a few ways to get around having a robust fulcrum point and still having thin rods but alot depend on what you have available to you to manufacture the items.

I 'm not sure if i am grasping hat you are trying to do but it may also be worth going and having a look for swing bolts and fork ends, as i can see one person has access to a lathe you can drill a hole into a swingbolt into the ceter by clocking it true then loctiting in a rod that will give you a close tolerance fulcrum point if you then get a matching fork end and a close tolerance pin you'll get the reduction in lateral movement you are looking for plus a threaded portion that may make any other atatchments easier.

Edited by Austin