Is the euphoria justified?

Steve Burke

Is the euphoria justified? Will those celebrating feel the same in the future?

On balance I believe they will. This could be one of the defining moments of the 21st century.

Indeed, I feel that the history books will show that the 21st century effectively started not on January 1st 2001, but on November 4th 2008.

One of the most telling comments I've read was from a man who said "Yesterday I was a black American, today I'm just an American!"

Obviously the economic situation played a big part in Obama's win. It usually does at a time like this. However will Obama and his administration be able to solve the economic problems quickly enough?

More than anything else though America has voted for change. Perhaps that's not surprising after 8 years of George W. Bush.

However Obama's election could well be pivotal. Not so much to America, but to the world as a whole. As an Internationist who believes global problems need global solutions that heartens me.

Some things about Obama worry me though. In particular his protectionist policies on trade.

Nonetheless, I see this election as a golden opportunity.

But will it prove to be a missed one?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not often you feel the weight of history on your shoulders and i think you have to go back to the berlin wall coming down to even get close to how historically important this is. I am old enough to remember Martin Luther King being assassinated and felt very emotional this morning. how good a president he is for the US and how he conducts himself on the world stage remains to be seen. But i am already feeling more kindly disposed to the US in a way i have not felt for some time. Long may it last.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I have many friends in the US, some of them committed Republicans (who voted for Obama) and from all of them I get a sense of "relief" that the Presidency of G W Bush is over.

A lot of the "bright , new beginning" euphoria is born out of the "things couldn't be worse" belief.

I believe that the US is now in for a period of stability and reasoned actions, which will be good for them and the rest of the world.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

a pitiful shameful televised showing of mentally ill people crying ,who the F cries when some jerk is made boss ,crying with shame hopefully is what was really being shown.as for his tearful "black" brothers they'l be dropped like a stone when his creditors call for their cut ,just a white man with a suntan.

no doupt these same poor disturbed people cried when bush was promoted ,perhaps they dont understand what they are crying for?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

a pitiful shameful televised showing of mentally ill people crying ,who the F cries when some jerk is made boss ,crying with shame hopefully is what was really being shown.as for his tearful "black" brothers they'l be dropped like a stone when his creditors call for their cut ,just a white man with a suntan.

no doupt these same poor disturbed people cried when bush was promoted ,perhaps they dont understand what they are crying for?

:D

Now im going to awnser that Just in case you ment it ?

The symbolisum alone speaks volumes, us inlightend people of Europe arnt any where close to haveing a person of colour, in such a position, and wont likley to be for some time,I am glad that my family and I have lived to see today, for good or bad.

By the way on a lighter note any one see the American streaker on GMTV?

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

i did mean it ,crying???????????? ,yes if your kid survives an accident or maybe your dog turns up after its been missing but for someone thats going to extract money from you ,kill your children and bring world unrest !who gives a monkey what colour they are

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i did mean it ,crying???????????? ,yes if your kid survives an accident or maybe your dog turns up after its been missing but for someone thats going to extract money from you ,kill your children and bring world unrest !who gives a monkey what colour they are

No you can't of ment it :D

not an eternal optermist like your self! your winding me up :lol::lol:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Is the euphoria justified? Will those celebrating feel the same in the future?

Ask me again in a couple of years Steve.

Actually, in a couple of years you won't need to ask since the beginnings of the answer should be pretty clear by then.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Is the euphoria justified? I'll leave that to future historians to decide.

But if you look at the percentage vote, (about 52% Obama, 46% McCain), there's not a lot in it.

From listening to a few Americans, and the media, it seems that some think it's brought 'hope' for the future.

Speaking as an old cynic, I can just about remember hope.

I had it as a school kid in the early 60s. But somebody killed it.

I had it as a young man in the late 60s/early 70s. But it was stolen by commercial interests.

I had it in the late 80s. But that was short lived.

I had it in the late 90s. But I was desperate, and was taken in by a con' man.

I seem to have misplaced it now, and can't think where/when I will find it again.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John