Flotation Suits

Elton

Orca,

Can you send me some more details, if possible?

I said that I'd review the one I have, but don't think my review will involve actual submersion!

If I could have some details from you (and your kind permission to use the details, of course), it would prove really helpful.

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elton:

Orca,

I said that I'd review the one I have, but don't think my review will involve actual submersion!

If I could have some details from you (and your kind permission to use the details, of course), it would prove really helpful.

:cool: Fladen have been advertising their suits with me for the last couple of years and I must say that they back them up with lots of scientific figures, which don't mean a lot to the average angler but at the end of the day, they are comfortable, they keep you warm and dry and most importantly, they will keep you afloat and save your life if you are unlucky enough to need it. Oh, and they are nice bright colours and sensibly priced. For details read the SAN or phone Tina on 01305 821111 for all their details and tell her, "Norman sent you". :D

Tight lines,

Elton

Do these flotation suits actually keep the water out? If so, how does a two piece keep it out? It's just that I know one may have only a few minutes to live once immersed. I am the holder of a survival suit from the rigs, this is a one piece heavyweight goretex suit with waterproof zip and cuffs.

No they are not to keep the water out, they just aid bouyancy. Most two piece suits will have groin straps to stop the jacket pulling up over your head if you go in the water feet first, if you have all the straps and buckles done up tight when you fall in they would work like a wetsuit, by keeping a small amount of trpped water next to you.

Like most people I bought my 2 pc suit for warmth and weather protection when fishing from the shore. I do use it on my boat as a warm coat but don't really consider it as a life saver. My boat is only in the water in the summer and it would be too hot to wear all the time, so unless I had prior warning that I was about to fall in and could suit up it would be useless. I would say if you use them from a boat and are not prepared to wear the whole suit all the time you should use another type of protection like a life jacket.

Bob

Norfolk Boy:

Do these flotation suits actually keep the water out? If so, how does a two piece keep it out? It's just that I know one may have only a few minutes to live once immersed. I am the holder of a survival suit from the rigs, this is a one piece heavyweight goretex suit with waterproof zip and cuffs.

:cool: Most Fladen flotation suits are also survival suits which means they keep you warm when immersed. They do this by restricting the flow of water, so the trapped water warms up and helps fight the onset of hypothermia, unlike a standard flotation suit which only keeps you afloat, you don't drown but you die of hypothermia. I KNOW THIS SOUNDS LIKE SALES TALK BUT HAVING BEEN A DIVER FOR 22 YEARS I KNOW THAT MORE PEOPLE DIE AT SEA FROM HYPOTHERMIA THAN DROWNING. So, get a suit that not only keeps you afloat but keeps you warm and dry too. Obviously a one piece suit will keep you warmer and dryer than a 2 piece suit but, comfort etc. comes into it, so it's individual choice at the end of the day. :D

Elton:

Orca,

Tight lines,

Elton

The RYC course covers all this

[ 09. January 2005, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: SandTiger ]

orca,

you said that only your feet got wet i was in the sea with my 1 peice floatation suit on and just shorts and tshirt underneath i was soaking wet my hole body was soaking but i was boiling warm and my suits a fladen sounds like a 2 peice is alot better than a 1 piece

scrabster for ever

~-~KAZ~-~