Charter Boats

Prelude

Welcome Gary. I think your first post must have been just about right if it made chesters1 grumph. He is our resident 'Grumpy Old Man'. :D:D

Sounds like some good advice so far but the best piece of it was probably that you stick around and post stuff. We have a very varied group of posters here and chances are, if you have a question, someone has an answer.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to know, in all seriousness, how any charter skipper makes money.

I run a business myself and struggle, and have tried the sums before. They just didn't work, even without accounting for cancelled trips!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Gents,

Many thanks for the prompt and very useful advice.

I have been a sea angler for many years with my own boat. I progressed to a larger boat after having completed my commercial skippers qualification.

I run the boat not so much as a business but as a way to subsidise the cost of owning a larger vessel, hence I want to make the anglers happy so they keep coming back.

I always allow the anglers full use of the boat, including access to the cabin, galley and wheelhouse (it is surprising how many anglers welcome this after not so good experiences on other boats).

If the weather is such that it is safe to fish but it would be uncomfortable, I offer the anglers the chance to rebook for another day, and carry over the deposit. This is something that I would have liked on several occasions when booked on other charter boats (especialy on the south coast), however, I am quite surprised that some people do not appreciate it. I guess some people are never happy!

kind regards

Gary

www.preludecharters.co.uk

Hello Gary,

I think the most important thing is the skippers attitude towards his punters, wether their young, old experienced or novices. And if you supply tackle make sures its good quality and in a good condition, theres nothing worst than using crappy rods and reels when your on a charter trip. And I totally agree with spasor, a hot cup of tea always goes down a bundle with the anglers on the boat, we're a very fickle lot.

Good luck for the future

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

At the end of the day, please don't start the engine as the signal that it's time to reel in without saying anything. It's nice to know if there's an hour, half an hour left. This personal involvement also helps throughout the day, it makes the punters (at least) feel that the skipper is interested in the fishing, rather than just the money.

Prelude, I like your atitude and honesty. Having a bigger boat and working it part time to subsidise the little things like mooring fees, insurance, maintenance, life raft hire etc etc makes good sense. You have also made the effort to get your skippers ticket which is more than can be said for some "skippers".

I like to know the house rules in advance ie 2 fish limit, no freezer boxes, Bass over a certain size will be returned etc. I don't have a problem with house rules, just like to know what they are.

Besides a welcoming cuppa I like to have a map of the area and where to park and at what cost, B&B helps as I have to travel a long distance.

Do you have different scales of charges? ie 12 hours far offshore wrecking compared to 8 hours inshore bassing or Plaice fishing?

I also like to see a skipper fish, they usually catch when others are blanking which encourages anglers to change there tackle to suite the conditions resulting in more fish on the deck.

Good luck

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Alan Taylor:

Prelude, I like your atitude and honesty. Having a bigger boat and working it part time to subsidise the little things like mooring fees, insurance, maintenance, life raft hire etc etc makes good sense. You have also made the effort to get your skippers ticket which is more than can be said for some "skippers".

I like to know the house rules in advance ie 2 fish limit, no freezer boxes, Bass over a certain size will be returned etc. I don't have a problem with house rules, just like to know what they are.

Besides a welcoming cuppa I like to have a map of the area and where to park and at what cost, B&B helps as I have to travel a long distance.

Do you have different scales of charges? ie 12 hours far offshore wrecking compared to 8 hours inshore bassing or Plaice fishing?

I also like to see a skipper fish, they usually catch when others are blanking which encourages anglers to change there tackle to suite the conditions resulting in more fish on the deck.

Good luck

Alan

:cool: SAN posted today Alan. :D

Hi Prelude,

I am thinking along the same lines as you, running a charter boat part time to offset the costs of running a bigger boat, although in some ways I think the days of the BIG charter Boats are running out, particually with the forthcoming huge hikes in Red Diesel.

I have progresively increased in boat size over the years except about three years ago when I decided to downsize a ways and bought a Warrior 165 intending to trailer it to my preferred fishing ground and fish.

Having quickly discovered that all those people who write about, and show you on the telly how to launch a boat are total unadulterated LIARS...

In my considered opinion there is NO WAY whatsoever that a boat on a trailer goes backwards in a straight line :o

After launching my warrior several times at The Folly at every concievable angle except straight down the ramp I moored her up on my mooring and went from there

Now I have made myself a big problem, Bassing is great around Cowes, Gurnard and at varying times it is OK for Cod, Rays Macki etc... But the best Cod Fishing is around the Needles and Bembridge a trip to either and return was costing me a lot of dosh in Petrol

I decided to accept an offer from my Brother to go on a Charter out of ******* with some mates and took along my Son, there was 6 of us in all, we booked the whole boat which was licenced for 10/12 paying the extra as I don't like cramped fishing.

Boarding the boat and stowing gear we departed the harbour in a good sea and were feeling good...

Now, being a nosy bar steward, and also a bloke who likes to chat with people and whenever I get on a boat I like to have a nose at the equipment, especially electronic gear as you get a feel for stuff on the market rather than looking at adverts

I walked into the cabin with my usual bag of wine gums and said hello to the Skipper and offered him a sweet (no I aint a purv!)

The greeting which was returned was not verbal at all but was a look similar to "who has just walked dog **** into my cabin!") I thought "fair enough" and walked out looking at the bulhead to find the "private, no persons beyond this point" notice which I have seen displayed on other boats but there was none.

We steamed for about 20 mins and wondering which mark we were heading for, as between us on the Boat we have about 120 years experiance of the Needles, paid attention to our course and location by landmarks.

Stood near the Cabin I heard the Deckie say "let me know when to get the anchor ready?" to our amazement the skipper turned from his helm without any referance to his gear and replied "here will do!" and the anchor was shot.

Oh well, thinking we had a new mark we started to fish, changing tactics after only catching dogfish we caught a few pout and then excitement as somebody caught a whiting and we bashed a few of them in for tea. A single Bass followed later and as far as fishing went that was it.

During the proceeds my son got feeling rough, after waiting for him to groundbait the area for us I wanted to let him go to sleep as I find that best and, seeing the Vessel had a forward berth I asked the skipper If I could use it for me nipper, "He can sit down there if he likes" was the forced reply pointing to the corner of the cabin :mad:

During the fishing we were 'joined' by the skipper and the deckie who both used our bait, not that you mind that, but both fished downtide from the back of the boat where the ONLY two rod rests were.

As was stated later, we were informed of the end of the trip by the engine starting, reeled in our lines and after stowing the gear, as is our practise, washed down his boat for him.

On the way back to Harbour we were discussing the dissapointment over the lack of Cod (ie. not a single one) and were informed by the crew that it was our own fault for a bad days fishing as he had noticed that somebody had brought a Banana on board in their nammit box :confused: :confused:

Now I apologise for a long post as i cannot from the above suggest how to run a succesful charter boat, but take from it the lesson I learned, How NOT to run a charter boat. No prizes for guessing how many times we have booked that boat since that day three years ago.

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Hi HV,

i feel for you on that one and thinks it's a bit of a rip off, I myself suffer from a bit of sea sickness, but the times i have been out the skipper has gone and moved gear so I could sleep in the cabin, for your boy to sit in a corner is "out of order", . I was over on the IOW this year and took my two boys out mackeral fishing, my 7 yr old loved it and now wants to do a bit more, the skipper was friendly and helpful unike the one you unfortunatly had. We went out of bembridge as well.

Keep it reel!!