bait table

viney

Looking for suggestions on a 'bait table' to set up mid river as I plan on doing more trotting on the kennet this year and don't really fancy a bait smock as I will be staying in the same place for a few hours to try and draw the fish upstream from a section not accessible from the bank, the chances are I will end up making one but if there is something that fits the bill for a reasonable price I will save myself the trouble

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try a long bankstick with a normal bait table, as long as the river is not too deep

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Drennan bait table with three 3 pint bait boxes on a long screw tipped bankstick or a storm stick/pole. On the fourth corner velco on a shallow 1 or 2 pint bait box to balance it out. You now have ten or eleven pints worth of space for bait / sundries.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Rudd’s screw tipped storm pole suggestion is good advice. You’ll be surprised how far you have to push the pole into the river bed to make sure it stays up in even a gentle flow. You’ll also find weed and general crap gets wrapped around the pole making it even more susceptible to being pushed over.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Just hang a bag or bags round your neck with your bait in them.

Yep, sounds good to me.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I had a posh bait apron which I lost somewhere along the line. I use a carrier bag now - works fine.

Food for thought - on Frensham ponds where you need to wade out, I take 2 long bank sticks with me to use as rod rests and on the nearest one I 'thread' a modified bait bucket containing all my bits and maggots. The bait bucket is modified by strapping with duct tape a bit of plastic tube vertically to the site. The bank stick goes through the tube and the bucket floats on the surface - just where you need it. I did try it on the Kennet on a wading stretch but like Rusty I found that you could not get the stick into the river bed deep enough to stop it all disappearing downstream at a rate of knots.

M

Have you thought about a platform ?

I always used one in Ireland, and some rivers , depth and flow permitting. Great to use and a handy thing to sit on.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Collapsible water bowls make great bait rafts and you can get loads of stuff in one. Just tie some string to it and the other end to you. Don't matter how deep the water or how hard the river bed and they are light and can just be stuffed in your bag.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trakker-NEW-Collapsible-Fishing-Water-Bucket-Bowl-/2 e31115496727?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item35cf8e9d17

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep