Anyone had some good eels this summer?

Dave H

The weather has not been great for them so far although the last few weeks with the night temperatures being better I am wondering if any of you guys have caught some specimens

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

To be honest, I've not caught an eel since the early 80's despite fishing plenty of waters where they used to be caught regularly.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I think you have to go targeting them now john to have a chance of a good sized eel

I have, but not very often. Way back in the day, I targeted them in a local dock that was blocked off from the Humber, caught quite a few there until one day (when I wasn't there) a lad fell in and, although he got out without any problems (walked up a slope), he died a couple of weeks later from Weil's disease :(

Now the council have built a shopping centre on part of the dock, fishing is no longer allowed :cry:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• 3 weeks later...

The local stillwaters near me have produced a few up to 3lb but no where near as many that normally get caught.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

The River Wharfe, Tadcaster used to be stuffted with 'em - in the 80's.

There was a paper mill, which used to pump bi products (jelly) into the river, & Eels were almost all one one could catch at the time!!

Matches were very often won with Eels, mostly bootlaces at that!!

Thankfully the paper mill has since shut down & mostly scale fish prevail these days!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

The last eel that I caught was from the river Lodden about 15 years ago when I was barbel fishing using double caster over a bed of Hemp & caster; it was only around 1 to 2lb.

Back in the 70s I used to catch quite a few eels from different moats around Fareham (near Portsmouth) and the mother-in-law used to make jellied eels from them (she was a Londoner Lol.).

Keith.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I've been unfortunate enough to catch a few eels this season (by accident of course), i've had some whilst trotting on the rivers and some whilst fishing on still waters.I think they've all been over 3lb with a couple of the larger ones appearing to be 4lb plus. I say appearing to be as I didn't weigh them so my estimates may be wrong but not too far out I don't think. I reckon if I used maggots and worms and legered on the river i'd be booted out with them!