Magazine articles

Anderoo

i wrote this using a kongsley ball point pen on conqueror 80GSM paper on a homebase 1254 desk ,whilst i did so my realtree sock fell down into my urg boot ,i had to lift my XXXXxx trousers to get to it ,ETC ETC ETC

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youve hit the nail on the head there.

I have bought course fisherman since the early years and have seen a very clear change in the way in which articles are composed. In just the ast few years its has become evident that the magazine or the people featured in the magazine are sponsored by certain companys. Personaly Im sick of hearing pallatrax this, fox that, sonus baits......the list goes on and on. There are occasional articles that are both well written and interesting, I also like John Baileys monthly piece but all in all, its going downhill fast as more and more of the regulars push certain brands.

I do like reading Carp and Course Angler as it seems to be a higher quality magazine, but for the most part, the monthlys and weeklys are getting worse.

Excuse and spelliings and typos im struggling to type this on a tiddly little netbook!

Phil

I am more of a game angler and as said above there is very little product placement in game press- although still far too much advertorial about best 14' salmon rod etc. I read AT and the gratuitous namedropping of brands is embarrassing. I recently read a piece about 'simple tactics for winter chub' and lost the will to live after reading of a ridiculously complicated set up awash with Fox, Korum etc references and referring to insanely expensive baits.God knows how I catch chub on cheesepaste using Maxima...and I do seem to catch my share, honest. But the worst is the picture of some glum looking bloke holding the inveitable fat carp and reporting that it fell to the new xyz34 mk2 bait he was 'fieldtesting '. Which translates as ' going fishing with some free bait my mate knocked up in the hope of flogging it to the gullible angling public'

No, his blog disappeared about the same time he joined Drennan. Whether those were connected, I don't know. I agree, a very good angler, good writer and seems like a very decent chap. I think he used to work at J&K in Bicester.

Presumably due to Drennan's zero tolerance policy of the internet! ;) (Is there any other company of Drennan's size that doesn't have a website?)

I've never seen Coarse Angling Today on sale up here, so I couldn't offer any comment on that, but I do distinctly remember actually hurling a copy of Coarse Fisherman into the bin a few years back after a particularly shameless and clumsy bit of product placement. The whole magazine just seemed so amateurishly put together that they didn't even have the wit to try and hide what was going on, which was a real shame as the contents always promised so much more than the other coarse fishing titles.

I lost the will to live when "Pliquatic" lures and "Luron" line were advertised in Mr. Crabtree books. He even product placed Allcock and J.W. Young reels for goodness sake :P

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

devil ,if the youfs dont know what luron is i have an unused box of 4x25yrd spools some whereabouts.

theres always been product placement and big name dropping about but that was by companies not by everyone that happens to be able to write and catch carp or tout poles in matches hoping for a goody box to drop on their door mat ,DAMN to late for an intrepid one !curses:D

hmmmmm this delkim keyboard and microsoft mouse are just so smoooth or is it the matched pair of kingston memory :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It drives me up the wall.

I buy them occasionally, when bored or before a long journey and every time I regret it. There is one I like, Coarse Fishing Today or something, not particularly informative, but a nice read.

Other than that I only like Trout and Salmon .

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I lost the will to live when "Pliquatic" lures and "Luron" line were advertised in Mr. Crabtree books. He even product placed Allcock and J.W. Young reels for goodness sake :P

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: I've not bought a weekly for decades - still subscribe to Waterlog - though that can get a bit esoteric at times!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

But almost straight away he was onto the rod he uses, and which has transformed his trotting - a Drennan something or other. A certain amount of detail is provided on this. The reel he uses is not so important, apparently, so no need to mention who makes that (I don't think Drennan make reels)

They now market a couple of reels which by all accounts are very good especially for the price. However I have to agree with the rest of what is said as surely the object of the mag is to generate an interest and hold it there so you will have thought it a worthwhile read and look out for it next month. The way it is going the tackle companies are promoting their products and we are paying in the vain hope of either learning something or congratulating yourself for already doing it like the proffesionals

I've not bought a weekly for decades - still subscribe to Waterlog - though that can get a bit esoteric at times!

I thought that was the point

The general public see anglers as nutty/esoteric/eccentric/out to lunch

Most anglers see Waterlog readers as especially nutty/esoteric/eccentric/out to lunch

Waterlog readers see Waterlog contributers as extremely nutty/esoteric/eccentric/out to lunch

Waterlog contributers see the Waterlog cruciverbalist as cataclysmically nutty/esoteric/eccentric/out to lunch :lol:

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...