Knife Laws

Elton

What seemed a little strange to me with this case was the fact he was stopped leaving a pub car park, took a breath test which was negative, so far so good. The police then went on to search his vehicle, WHY ?

a) Maybe the chap took an aggresive stance, hence further police action.

b ) Maybe the police just wanted to screw him, not happy with the fact he was not over the limit.

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i find it unbelievable that when someone's arrested and protest their innocence they are then convicted on a section 5 ? and the original so called offence is dropped ,truly a police state we now have where police can get away with such arrogance :angry:

if some plod is twisting your arm up your back for no reason (as seen when the "offence" responsible for it is later is dropped) then the coppers in the wrong and you should be able to take any action to remove the lawbreaker (in this case the copper) from your person just as you would with anyone mistreating you ,you are being convicted of defending yourself :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

What seemed a little strange to me with this case was the fact he was stopped leaving a pub car park, took a breath test which was negative, so far so good. The police then went on to search his vehicle, WHY ?

a) Maybe the chap took an aggresive stance, hence further police action.

b ) Maybe the police just wanted to screw him, not happy with the fact he was not over the limit.

It does seem strange that after passing a breath test that the police decided to search the car i wonder what reason was given if any for the search to take place (i'm not sure but i thought the police had to have a justifiable reason to search a person or vehicle.) the video(I believe it may have been shown before on here but its always worth looking at again) in this link shows what you can get away with if your polite and know the law.

• 2 years later...
Folding knives with locking blades are not illegal under current UK laws but are classified as the same as knives with fixed blades(sheath knives) and if you carry one in a public place you must have a legitimate reason to do so (i.e a chef carrying his knives to and from his work place, those worn as part of a national costume i.e the sgian dubh, or those carried for religious reasons i.e the sikh kirpan).

Carrying a locking knife (if that is indeed what this gentleman had) in his car all the time would be illegal because he does have a legitimate reason to have that knife with him all the time( e.g if you were to take a filleting knife with you in the car when you went sea fishing that is a legitimate reason to have it with you but to be compliant with the law as I understand it you would have to remove the knife from your vehilce and take it back into your house at the end of the days fishing if you were to leave the knife in your vehicle all the time you would be breaking the law as once your fishing is finished so is your legitmate reason for carrying it) so unless he was camping and having a picnic everyday he was indeed in breach of the law.

However it does seem an overly harsh decision to prosecute the gentleman.

Be aware that even folding knives with edges of less than 3" or indeed any pointed or bladed implement can be classified as an offensive weapon depending upon the circumstance you are in when found carrying it (or indeed if you are foolish enough to admit to carrying it so as to be able to defend yourself should you be attacked infact in this circumstance virtually anything can be classified as an offensive weapon).

The only knives that are illegal to carry in a public place fullstop are knives such as flick knives, gravity knives, balisong or butterfly knives, so called stealth knives(these are made of reinforced plastics and therefore cannot be detected using metal detectors) and knives disguised as other objects(i.e those made to look like pens or belt buckles) and this is because these items are illegal to buy,sell, import, carry or even give away in this country (although if you do happen have one already they are not actually illegal to own but have to be kept in your house and never taken anywhere)

Trouble is about traditional weapons is the machette now a "traditional" weapon for africans here ,look at any news footage and there they are being "traditionally" waved about and for hacking off limbs they are the "traditional" favourite ,sorry its one law for everyone no options because its a so called tradition

Blimey Leon been asleep since 2010 i just realised the date

"laughing crazily" was it john wilson :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ive had cause to explain myself to police on various occasions for varying types of weaponry and knives; from swords and axes and armour to katana and martial arts weaponry and through to machete, parangs and sheath knives.

at no point have I had anything confiscated, been accused of being a lunatic or even had my car unduly searched for further implements of death!

even had one surreal experience after being pulled over in King's Lynn one night/very early morning; the police man was after a car that had been reported stolen and mine fit the description so he pulled me...took one look at my license and insurance then proceeded to say "hey your the guy who does all the martial arts and make weapons aint ya?" I nearly fell over!! never seen the chap before; didn't recognise him from any martial arts clubs id frequented and yet he knew full well who the hell I was! LOL!

regardless; in my experience; and I have to say in my brothers as well (he's a game keeper and as such is always being stopped with various guns and knives thrown about in his car) the police "know" or react to something they consider out of the norm. If your calm and honest and open I have never encountered an issue with any of the police I have encountered who have questioned my weapons or my carrying of them.

im focusing on the fact they decided to search this guys car after the breath test....something made them do that; might be bad attitude; might be something in his mannerisms or whatever.

I routinely carry a small multi tool in my pocket here at work; I routinely have a machete and parang and an axe in the boot of my car for when I walk round the lakes and need to trim some stuff back; and this time of year they are also in their for beating and shooting. my fanny pack actually has a 4 inch sheath knife permanently on it because im too blood lazy to take it off!

im gonna play devils advocate here and say the police; in general; have a bloody tough job and sometimes they get things wrong. In most cases though they react to how they are reacted to. at least that's my experience.

searching through the website of the article brings up a bit more info..the knife in question was one of the buck whittaker knives with a locking blade..not a standard swiss army knife; so legally the chap would have required to defend his carrying of it in a public place (yes your car is considered a public place). cutting fruit whilst on holiday seems to have been his reasoning.

Edited by kirisute

Sounds like a little bit of "Ways and means Act".

Someone gives a copper grief....... time to employ ways and means......

I wish we were more like Australia mate. Give an Oz cop grief and this is what you'll hear.

Youtube Video ->

They don't need "Ways and Means", "Failing to follow the instructions of a Police Officer" is a crime.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote