AnglersNet fish-in, Lower Itchen Fishery

Rusty

Too light I reckon, there's a chance of chub and pretty big trout. If you're using mono I'd go fo 6lb mainline, that should cover most surprises and won't put the grayling off.

They've also had their best year for salmon since the 1950's - and they can be partial to a maggot or two (as I found out last year) So I'd agree with Rusty...

C.

Cheers Guys, I don't want to go to light and loose a good fish because of it.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I use a 10lb braided mainline but normally use 1.7lb bottoms and had no problem with 3lb Grayling,4lb Chub or 3lb ish (not weighed) trout. And if ever I hook one of the Itchens salmon or 20lb + carp I will just deal with it! (Albeit with trembling legs and possibly soiled pants!) If I loose the so be it they were just an unexpected extra to the day!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I must addmitt my standard set up is 6lb sensor straight through to the hook, no weak spots :). Obviously in certain situations I'd stick on a lighter bottom, 4lb with a 6lb mainline . If I was to use a lighter bottom then I step my mainline down to suite... 4lb mainline to a 3lb bottom etc.

Looking forward to this! Just had a few hours trotting on the Thames - had three chub between about 2lb and 4lb and a surprise spotty of about 2lb. That's the third Thames brownie I've caught by accident in the last ten years, hopefully they are recovering.

I managed to get out and have a couple of hours on the tiny river mole at horley and its the first time in nearly 20 years that ive done this kind of fishing and im glad no one was around to witness my antics :lol: i got tangled in some brambles , then caught up a tree , but got the feeling back for it after a while and was so happy to catch a 2lb chub , it wasnt in the best condition thou and looked like it had been caught a million times so i didnt exactly feel like it was down to any technique on my part , but it was just nice to get out today and put those tangles and bad casts out the way before next week.

Can anyone tell me what floats to bring to the itchen as today all i could use to get any decent presentation in the flow was a 3g carp pellet waggler float and i dont want to be seen using that next week :rolleyes:

Im guessing 4lb mainline on an abu 501 to a 3lb bottom will be alright line & reel wise ?

Still unsure on what rod would be suitable for trotting so any advice as to what properties it needs to have ie do the eyes want to be slightly bigger so the line flows throu better etc ? , ive got a good selection of match float and feeder rods old and new so hopefully ive got something suitable .

Thanks everyone as i need all the help i can get with this style of fishing .

They've also had their best year for salmon since the 1950's - and they can be partial to a maggot or two (as I found out last year) So I'd agree with Rusty...

C.

I've had good fish from the LIF and similar venues on 3-4lb mainline, good chub, big trout and nice grayling and roach, all of which were on 1lb 9oz bottom. 6lb mono seems equivalent to rope :P

Also, does anyone know what the river conditions are like on the Itchen at the moment?

Tony only floats Ive found needed are a few different sizes of Drennan Loafer from 2 SSG - 4SSG. I use a 15' match rod with a spliced tip but before I (well Andrew!) broke the hollow tip I used that! Extra length is handy for controlling the float in the strong current (hence forth the big floats) but I would happily fish with any match rod.

Make sure your mainline floats (that's why I prefer braid) but it usually ain't that hard if conditions are half decent! Grayling ain't the brightest of fish.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes I'm looking forward to it also. So is Norma (she explores the nature reserve to the north while I am fishing)

One question - at what time are we to be off the river? In previous years we've left early because of the long drive home. This year we will overnight on Saturday at a pub in Havant, so will stay on the river until we are kicked off.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Line strength will basically be dictated by rod choice - I use quite a light trotting rod, so using it with 6lb mainline would be a bit pointless because I'd never be able to apply that sort of pressure anyway! When I used mono for trotting I used 4lb mainline, with lighter hooklengths (I think 3lb low diameter stuff at the Itchen). I've now got 10lb power pro on the pin which is extremely thin, and will probably start off with the same 3lb bottom as last time. There are next to no snags there to worry about.

I would echo the advice to use heavy chubber/loafer floats, it makes float control so much easier. Light floats will get buffeted about all over the place.

A decent trotting rod should have a fast tip action and eyes on long legs (what's the proper term? stand-off eyes?) to keep the line away from the blank. Also, the lighter the better as you'll be holding it all day.

As long as conditions aren't horrendous we should be fine for a few grayling each. There are lots of them and as Budgie said they are almost (almost!) on a par with trout when it comes to intelligence. Pretty, but stoopid :D

I think we have to off the river 'at dusk', so interpret that as you will!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've had good fish from the LIF and similar venues on 3-4lb mainline, good chub, big trout and nice grayling and roach, all of which were on 1lb 9oz bottom. 6lb mono seems equivalent to rope :P

Also, does anyone know what the river conditions are like on the Itchen at the moment?

A guy i know went yesterday and they had lots of the usual suspects Trooot,Grayling,Roach etc so guessing the conditions are good and with little rain should stay that way , Alan Tigger catches some mighty fine fish on his rope ;) Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Tony only floats Ive found needed are a few different sizes of Drennan Loafer from 2 SSG - 4SSG. I use a 15' match rod with a spliced tip but before I (well Andrew!) broke the hollow tip I used that! Extra length is handy for controlling the float in the strong current (hence forth the big floats) but I would happily fish with any match rod.

Make sure your mainline floats (that's why I prefer braid) but it usually ain't that hard if conditions are half decent! Grayling ain't the brightest of fish.

It has to be my daiwa spectron 13ft match rod as thats the longest rod ive got , its also extremely light and has fuji alconite guides so sounds like that will be my best bet . Ive hardly used this rod in the 4 years ive had it so im looking forward to putting a decent bend in it ( hopefully ) :)

Cheers