What is the strangest thing you have caught?

larsagi2010

Didn't one of our members hook onto a dead body some time ago? :unsure:

Not caught anything really strange, but nearly landed a pike that decided to take my cheese bait when carping. And there was a landing net too....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so what is the strangest thing you have caught when U.K course fishing?? This doesn't include just fish, but anything in general... Perhaps an old boot (Like the cartoons) Fish can be included though if strange!

Also what is the strangest thing you have caught (Fish) on??

---------------------------------------------------

1. Strangest thing I have ever saw fish caught on.

A batch.. Yep a whole Tesco value batch!

To prove the Pike were so aggressive in a small pit in the local field a mate actually got the lid of a Tesco value batch.... Put two trebles in the top and twitched it along the surface. He had 5 double figure pike in about 2 hours on that method.

2. As for strangest thing I have ever caught: Probably a safe which was located in the margins right in front of me. While pike fishing I hooked something solid and when I wen't to grab the trace to give it a good pull I spotted an oval badge....

After bending one of the trebles to get it out the side of the safe we used a fishing trolley and lowered it into the water.... It took 4 of us about 2 hours to get it onto the bank it was that heavy (Heavier than my motorbike which weighs 124kg's)

The badge read ''E.Hipkins & Co, Dudley'' and apparantly was a badge used some time ago to show the item was insured by the fire brigade against fire. If your house had the badge on the door... They extinguished the fire! If not.... Tough :lol:

The safe I imagine had been stolen. The side was cut out and looking at the thickness of the metal it must have taken some serious tools to do the job. It took us 5 crowbars to finally prise the door open... Sadly there was nothing inside GRRRR

But yea! Interesting thing to hook lol

a cage feeder when i had 10mins preveously said "i wish i had a cage feeder", a 7lb pike when fishing worm&caster on a size 18 hook and a landing net complete with attached landing pole!

I got a gudgeon on a mepps once - fished from a canoe over a weebed. I assumed it grabbed the wool over the treble rather than attacking the spinner, but strange nonetheless.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I have had 3 fish on the same spinner at the same time. A small roach fowl hooked in the side that was grabbed by a small Jack and hooked on the treble and then an even bigger Jack around 4/5 lb grabbed the small Jack across the back and held on all the way to the landing net by was not hooked. The 2 Jacks went back ok but the poor Roach was well and trully munched :(

I guess no baits are that odd these days with almost everything you can think of be used as bait from lumps of plastic to foam.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Ok, so what is the strangest thing you have caught when U.K course fishing?? This doesn't include just fish, but anything in general... Perhaps an old boot (Like the cartoons) Fish can be included though if strange!

Also what is the strangest thing you have caught (Fish) on??

---------------------------------------------------

1. Strangest thing I have ever saw fish caught on.

A batch.. Yep a whole Tesco value batch!

To prove the Pike were so aggressive in a small pit in the local field a mate actually got the lid of a Tesco value batch.... Put two trebles in the top and twitched it along the surface. He had 5 double figure pike in about 2 hours on that method.

2. As for strangest thing I have ever caught: Probably a safe which was located in the margins right in front of me. While pike fishing I hooked something solid and when I wen't to grab the trace to give it a good pull I spotted an oval badge....

After bending one of the trebles to get it out the side of the safe we used a fishing trolley and lowered it into the water.... It took 4 of us about 2 hours to get it onto the bank it was that heavy (Heavier than my motorbike which weighs 124kg's)

The badge read ''E.Hipkins & Co, Dudley'' and apparantly was a badge used some time ago to show the item was insured by the fire brigade against fire. If your house had the badge on the door... They extinguished the fire! If not.... Tough :lol:

The safe I imagine had been stolen. The side was cut out and looking at the thickness of the metal it must have taken some serious tools to do the job. It took us 5 crowbars to finally prise the door open... Sadly there was nothing inside GRRRR

But yea! Interesting thing to hook lol

Greetings Mr ? [sorry, I cannot spell your username] :)

A good read is that thread of yours, a very good read in fact. But, back to the question, last summer, 2009 it was, I was fishing a well-situated commercial in Northumberland. A lovely day, but I hadn't caught much at all. Then, a bite, a bit of a battle, not much, & 'it' came to the net. I'm still wondering what it was I caught, looked a lot like a perch, but didn't have the stripes, looked a bit like a small common carp, but it was shaped more like a perch. Colour, similar to that of a common, but not as 'scaly'; but it did have the 'spikey dorsal' of the perch. Weight, before I forget, about 1.25lbs. Talked to the only other angler there, he didn't have a clue either. <_<

Anyone got any ideas, is there such a thing as a carp/perch cross? <_<

Regards,

Mr H. :)

I was fishing a well-situated commercial in Northumberland. A lovely day, but I hadn't caught much at all. Then, a bite, a bit of a battle, not much, & 'it' came to the net. I'm still wondering what it was I caught, looked a lot like a perch, but didn't have the stripes, looked a bit like a small common carp, but it was shaped more like a perch. Colour, similar to that of a common, but not as 'scaly'; but it did have the 'spikey dorsal' of the perch. Weight, before I forget, about 1.25lbs. Talked to the only other angler there, he didn't have a clue either. <_<

Anyone got any ideas, is there such a thing as a carp/perch cross? <_<

Regards,

Mr H. :)

I have caught Perch before from commercials that have had no colouration what so ever, no stripes, no green and no red or orange on the fins, just a pale white/yellow colour. But I guess if it was one of them you would recongnise it as a Perch, but they do look rather weird. Could it have been a Zander or some form of Bass?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned the capture of condoms, (I think man has stocked them in most urban waters). It was a regular (if unpleasant) experience on the Calder. :yucky: If hooked in the open end, they took some landing in fast water.

One of my strangest catches was on the local canal. Fishing a warm water outlet for perch, I struck into something heavy, that kited away in the in the flow. I eventually saw that I'd hooked a sack. Curiosity got the better of me and I cut it open to find a couple of decomposed kittens, which with the heat from the water gave of an almighty stench. So much so. that both my mate and me threw up.

An old guy I used to fish with used to love telling how he once had a salmon from the Leeds & Liverpool canal, and had the press cutting and photo to prove it. He told of fishing the tow path one day, and a cyclist hit a mooring ring and fell in, and he pulled him out. The cyclists name? Freddie Salmon.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Here's quite an interesting one - I had a day afloat on the Severn yesterday, jigging for zander. It was a great day and I ended up with 4 different species on the jigs. Three you'd expect - perch, pike (quite big ones too!) and zander. The fourth was a surprise...a 5lb bream hooked fair and square!

I saw Julian Chidgeys presentation at the PAC conference. Whilst jigging for Pike in Germany, large bream were hooked neatly in the mouth on numerous occasions. Given the brackish water he could only presume that the Bream were used to eating such crustaceans.

I'm sure many of the U/L guys have had similar results, too? Maybe not as uncommon as you'd think but still not the best method of specifically targeting Bream!

I've seen Bream foul hooked by lures when running a lure deep, through a shoal, but I don't think for one second they were actively trying to feed on the lures?