Which record fish?

Pangolin

Following on from the 'King of tiddlers' thread, if you were going to catch a new British record fish, which species would you choose, and why? I think I'd go for tench: lovely fish, fight well, and I'd still be able to lift the record fish off the ground for a photograph!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go for roach - I might enjoy all the "it doesn't look as big as you claim" letters as much as catching the fish

....and the "it's a hybrid" letters too

[ 05. May 2004, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I don't specifically target records, instead preferring to go after difficult fish. Often of course these are the bigger ones anyway.

Of course I'd love to catch a record fish, preferably a record perch, which many of you know is my favourite species. It would be even better if it came from my own lakes, which is a possibility once my fish are fully grown.

The best chance I have of a record is with bream, and plans were made last year to catch a big un. As AN readers will known Wingham recently produced a bream only ounces away from the record, even though the fish have several years growth left. Hopefully, by the autumn......

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

RUDD - suprise suprise

Big Rudd very rarely hit the headlines and are very hard to catch.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

if iwas gonna go for the record , it would have to be a river bream,not one of those big lake things,a natural big slab of running water bream,a big feeder , loads of bait and an eager eye waiting for the quiver tip to move.

Hmmmm,might go now actually.

Chub for me!

Paul

i would also go with Rudd, for two reasons. firstly because they are one of my favourite fish and one of the most stunning fish going and secondly because the last record stood for the longest of all records, but the one that took it away was, in my humble opinion very dubious and subsequent catches from the same place all have a look of hybrid about them to me.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

a 6lb Perch for me please...

Mr Goddard...fingers crossed for those jelly lures you kindly mailed over....

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields