Spring's here and I can't resist it.

Rusty

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never liked the lift method myself, I much prefer a normal waggler set-up.

I'm anticipating it to be a method which'll need a bit of practice before bites are reliably indicated. With the bait effectively anchored I would have thought that any undertow or change in line tension will make the float move, the theory sounds good but I bet in reality it's quite difficult to consistently get the setup right. We'll see.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

You could always put your name down for the Wingham Fish-In when Steve opens for invites. They have some very nice Tench at Wingham.

Good idea, I think ill put my name down next time.. now im getting better anyway, never wanted to make a fool of myself infront of everyone (ive read some of the catch reports!) :D

Also be good to meet everyone!

I'm anticipating it to be a method which'll need a bit of practice before bites are reliably indicated. With the bait effectively anchored I would have thought that any undertow or change in line tension will make the float move, the theory sounds good but I bet in reality it's quite difficult to consistently get the setup right. We'll see.

Tis my much prefered method - pretty much ALL my still water float fishing is done with a lift method rig... :)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I've always found the lift method hard to set up, unless the bottom of the lake is nice and flat I seem to be constantly fiddling with the depth of the float to get it sitting "right"

The float rig I've come up with after a lot of experimenting is a bit of a hybrid between a standard waggler rig and the lift method - I use a drennan tench perfection float fished a little overdepth, with most of the weight locking the float, and "oversize" dropper shot usually a BB or no1 a couple of inches from the hook

might not be "textbook" but it works for me :)

Mat

Mat

Float ledgering is an excellent way to fish also. I actuallly like to use a peice of peacock quill fixed via a rubber bottom only so very easy to alter depth as often as is required.

Tench tend to feed at different times of the day on different types of water. For instance on many ponds and estate lakes the best time is dawn, and to a lesser extent, dusk.

On all the gravel pits I've fished mid-morning has usually been the best time. That said, my biggest tench have all come outside the normal feeding time, especially around midday. My only 10lber came early evening. It may be that these tench are loners as I've never caught more than one at once. Being willing to feed at these odd times may be one of the many reasons they get so big.

Interestingly, I stocked Wingham with a mixture of estate lake and gravel pit tench. For some time the estate lake fish (that were black in colour) continued to feed dawn and dusk. Eventually (over a few years) they turned blotchy and became more like the dark green fish both in colour and feeding times.

It's also worth bearing in mind that at this time of year the Wingham tench often come out at night. This may not apply to other waters, especially estate lakes, but I'm not qualified to comment as I haven't fished for tench anywhere but Wingham since the close season was abolished.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

As Steve says feeding times can vary from water to water.I must admit though that Ive fished more waters where evening has been far better than the "traditional" dawn. And as Steve says many are totally contrary to tradition in that latter in the morning is much better than early!

Best to try all periods until a pattern emerges Rusty but this can change during the year (as opposed to different conditions).

A lot of my fishing is done "carp style" these days as Anderoo points out its so effective and can make tricky tench easy! but float fishing for them is one pleasure that shouldn't be missed regardless of float style!

You coming up to Wingham this year now you are giving still waters a go? Despite the carp stylee tenching they can still be caught on the float and many members do have a break from "trapping" for a few hours to do this.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As Steve says feeding times can vary from water to water.I must admit though that Ive fished more waters where evening has been far better than the "traditional" dawn. And as Steve says many are totally contrary to tradition in that latter in the morning is much better than early!

Best to try all periods until a pattern emerges Rusty but this can change during the year (as opposed to different conditions).

A lot of my fishing is done "carp style" these days as Anderoo points out its so effective and can make tricky tench easy! but float fishing for them is one pleasure that shouldn't be missed regardless of float style!

You coming up to Wingham this year now you are giving still waters a go? Despite the carp stylee tenching they can still be caught on the float and many members do have a break from "trapping" for a few hours to do this.

Thanks Budgie, if I can shake off this bloody cold the first trip will be Sunday (Knotts for NAA members). I'll try mid morning first more for convenience than anything, I don't really want to be setting up an unfamiliar method in the dark. I'm having to make a list of preparations and things to take as it's so different to how I normally fish, wagglers, rod rests and a chair wouldn't usually go with me. Groundbait will be liquidised bread with hemp and corn mixed in, hookbait will corn. The Harrison float rod should be fine once I've prized off the centrepin as should 6lb mainline and a 4lb double strength hooklength.

It's all a bit pre-meditated I know but for the first couple of trips it'll have to be until I gain some confidence in the method and can be sure I won't forget any vital gear. After that I can experiment with different times and baits etc. I've seen raking mentioned again on some IAC e-mails so I'm going to knock something up tomorrow, that should be interesting.

Wingham would be a great opportunity, we'll see how this weekend goes.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thanks Budgie, if I can shake off this bloody cold the first trip will be Sunday (Knotts for NAA members). I'll try mid morning first more for convenience than anything, I don't really want to be setting up an unfamiliar method in the dark. I'm having to make a list of preparations and things to take as it's so different to how I normally fish, wagglers, rod rests and a chair wouldn't usually go with me. Groundbait will be liquidised bread with hemp and corn mixed in, hookbait will corn. The Harrison float rod should be fine once I've prized off the centrepin as should 6lb mainline and a 4lb double strength hooklength.

It's all a bit pre-meditated I know but for the first couple of trips it'll have to be until I gain some confidence in the method and can be sure I won't forget any vital gear. After that I can experiment with different times and baits etc. I've seen raking mentioned again on some IAC e-mails so I'm going to knock something up tomorrow, that should be interesting.

Wingham would be a great opportunity, we'll see how this weekend goes.

Good luck Sunday Chris but as it`s Mothering Sunday i will have to give it a miss ,Your how i built a weed rake from 6 old coat hangers and a broom stick would make an interesting stand alone thread though B):lol: Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: