More Power To The Police

Elton

at one time you had to have parking lights on your car in certain circumstances (we volvo drivers are lucky if its reintroduced ;) ) whether it was the law or a suggestion in the highway code though i do not know.whether its ignored or repealed i know not either.

if the police really wanted to get the dosh then perhaps rather they pick on a driver making an error of judgement that in most cases only results in a red face should pick on the less well known laws which are far more dangerous in everyday life especially parking on bloody corners and pavements

there used to be a "lighting up time" in every paper but thats long gone ,having a volvo is fine its always lighting up time but in many cases after the lamp posts come on theres unlit cars moving about ,probably in towns with street lights theres far more? i'v done it myself but my excuse is in every other trip the nearest lamp post is 2 miles away so i notice it getting dark :D

just reminded me of my old MK2 golf ,very occasionally i used to park it up then after dark if i looked down the garden i noticed a light on ,i ofcourse went down and wobbled and switched everything in sight resulting in it going out.

after a couple of years with probably a dozen annoying episodes i mentioned it in passing to my bro in law ,he called me a silly F...er ,if you leave the indicator on when you park the car it operates a parking light that side :oops:

none of my previous cars had this function

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell ya what I'd give ya and thats some French CRS or Gendarmes then you would see what a police force is about.

If you don't do what your told "get in the back of the friggin van". If you end up in the nick, tough ****. No TV, no pool tables, to video consoles, no conjugal friggin vists, but you might be lucky to get without without a size 11 ****. If ya don't like it tough ****, it's voluntary, you don't need to come back.

Hello Mr Compact Disk, :P

Yes, you could be correct, its been suggested by other AN members [sir Sportsman being one] that I should perhaps shed my provincial shell & in so doing travel more. Well, I have been around a bit, & one place I did stop off at was The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, did more than 8 years there I did. <_<

Whilst enjoying the country's hospitality [Despite the stories regarding the country, I have no complaints whatsover!!] it was advisable to keep clear, well clear, of 'Saudi's Finest'. It was also said that not only could one, if circumstances warranted it, receive some serious stottie, but one could also disappear for a time, maybe permanently? <_<

In terms of the world's polis being polite, or otherwise. Whilst in Saudi I shared a flat with a New Yorker & he once told the story of being lost in an unfamiliar area of 'The Big Apple' & he espied a motor-cycle cop standing in a shop doorway, it was raining & the cop's HD was parked nearby. The cop 'was the whole bit', helmet, reflecting shades, a leather jacket with 'big badges' thereon, riding britches with stripes down the side & to cap it all, leather motor ciccle boots; like I said, the whole bit & then some. So, my pal went over & asked to way to wherever, to which the copper replied "Eff off". A man born with good manners, not! <_<

No matter, I did not 'log on' to bore you with my travel stories, I logged-on to apologise for my response [last night] to a thread from our good mate 'Cranfield'. I was perhaps a little harsh in responding, the reason being that I had just lost a contest on points with 2 bottles of half-good 12% white wine. Also, it was not the 'eff word' I twice used, it was the 'sh*t* word, so there. So, 'sorry once again' Mr C!

I hear what you all say regarding the UK's police force. Perhaps we should do as a friend of mine suggests, "What they should do is keep the best 40%, sack whats left, and then start again". In my humble opinion the police should be sorted top to bottom, one of he reasons being that an organisation that receives continuous 'bad' press as the police certainly do has to have something fundamentally wrong with it? <_<

Regards,

H of The River. :)

I'll tell ya what I'd give ya and thats some French CRS or Gendarmes then you would see what a police force is about.

If you don't do what your told "get in the back of the friggin van". If you end up in the nick, tough ****. No TV, no pool tables, to video consoles, no conjugal friggin vists, but you might be lucky to get without without a size 11 ****. If ya don't like it tough ****, it's voluntary, you don't need to come back.

Hello CD, :)

I've just had a glance out my window here & as far as I'm aware I'm still residing in the country of my birth, Albion. Nothing much seems to have changed outside over the last 20 minutes or so, there's definitely no sign of men wearing 'Beau Geste' hats, smoking gaulois & maybe carrying sub-machine guns, sorry. <_<

Its not them across The Channel I'm worried about mate, its our lot over here that should be sorted out. In my humble opinion they're paid too much for the work they do. Now, before you get to be hot under the collar, don't anyone go saying to me, "They should be well paid for the job they do"? Maybe so, but no one forced them to join up did they, & please no s??t along the lines of "They joined up because they had the welfare of the public at heart". Anyone who falls for that load of cobblers will also believe in Jack & The Beanstalk & all the rest of the fairy stories. <_<

Never mind, I'm off for a pint :)

He of The H.

There is a far more serious issue in relation to this new idea.

The integrity of the Police Officer.

I remember watching as a child the end result of a lorry spill. It was carrying bottles of Whisky. I and my Father watched Police Officers seemingly burying bottles in the field alongside the accident. On our return journey, at around 11.30pm, over twenty cars lined the side of the road beside the field. Too dark to see, but you can guess.

I have seen Officers first hand ignore blatant bad driving only to go for an easy target.

I have also seen bad examples of driving from the Police also.

Unless an Officer has his/her blue lights or siren he/she must obey the rules of the road himeself/herself.

The fact that, as said before, the idea of going to court to challenge the Officer issuing the ticket will mean easy bucks for the Government coffers.

All we will have now is an Officers interpretation of Law and this without proof of actual wrong doing.

Don't be frightened by the "My word against his." scenario.

Law still states that you are Innocent until proven guilty. Guilt can only be determined by a Magistrate or Judge.

Not a Police Officer. An Officer can only allege an offense has been commited.

A Police Officers job is to provide community service, deter crime, detect crime and detain the offender.

After that their responsibility ends.

Must admit, I read this with despair earlier:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13356057

The police seem to be obsessed with road users.

My father-in-law got his car hit by a motorbike last week. Damaged his car, but no harm to him. Poor young lad who did it went flying, but was lucky enough to not injure himself. He was incredibly shaken up, though, and I dare say he won't do that again in a hurry.

Apparently, the Old Bill tried to convince my father-in-law to press charges, but he wasn't interested. It was a genuine accident and the kid had suffered enough. When they eventually gave up asking him, they then told him that they might press charges themselves, in that case.

Hello Elton, :)

Before I continue & I'm shot-down by 'them that watch, read & nit-pick' I here admit that I haven't read all the answer 'threads' to this post, nor am I terribly familiar with the topic.

But, due to the fact that I'm of the opinion that the police in-toto are a monumental pain in the anal duct; God, its the arrogance that getsme, cannot abide it!! But, they are obsessed with nicking road users, this could be for the following reasons-

[1] 'Doing' road users is easy, & coppers like it easy. The majority of people are normally law-abiding in their lives generally, will pay-up no bother & will give the time-wasters back chat. <_<

[2] Then, I could be wrong here, unusual, but it can happen. In some intances police authorities don't have to pass-on 'driving/motor fine' money to the treasury, in other words they can keep the fine money for themselve, so to speak, & this could be one of the reasons they hit the drivers. Now, as we all know, the police never have enough gelt notwithstandign the fact that we have one of the best funded police services in the world, they are ALWAYS short. Its paying for sicky-days, the overtime rip-off + a lot more dicking around that does the financial damage, or so the papers say. [sorry Pal Sportsman, you really should get 'The Times' posted onto your overseas address!] <_<

There's been a situation recently, could've been Oxfordshire way-on, where the polis had stopped funding speed cameras, they were too expensive. Now, how did they get around that one, I'll tell yee if you listen. You must be aware that if one pulls a driving offence & garners penalty points as a result one can, nowadays, elect to go for a advisory course on how to become a good boy [or girl] again in terms of your driving. Well, the money the heat have raked in for this skive-off was sufficient to re-commission the speed cameras once more. Good eh. <_<

Currently the 'powers that be' are considering a root & branch reform of 'Britains Finest; 'not before bloody time' is all I have to say to that. If style, image, strut & arrogance plus the overuse of ''keep-out' barrier tape' in any way equated to efficiency we WOULD have the best police force in the world. Some chance.

But, enough said & regards to you all,

H of The Pond. :)

There's been a situation recently, could've been Oxfordshire way-on, where the polis had stopped funding speed cameras, they were too expensive. Now, how did they get around that one, I'll tell yee if you listen. You must be aware that if one pulls a driving offence & garners penalty points as a result one can, nowadays, elect to go for a advisory course on how to become a good boy [or girl] again in terms of your driving. Well, the money the heat have raked in for this skive-off was sufficient to re-commission the speed cameras once more. Good eh.
It wasn't Oxfordshire it was Wiltshire. It wasn't the Police it was the County Council that withdrew funding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-10853753

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Hello Elton, :)

Before I continue & I'm shot-down by 'them that watch, read & nit-pick' I here admit that I haven't read all the answer 'threads' to this post, nor am I terribly familiar with the topic.

But, due to the fact that I'm of the opinion that the police in-toto are a monumental pain in the anal duct; God, its the arrogance that getsme, cannot abide it!! But, they are obsessed with nicking road users, this could be for the following reasons-

[1] 'Doing' road users is easy, & coppers like it easy. The majority of people are normally law-abiding in their lives generally, will pay-up no bother & will give the time-wasters back chat. <_<

[2] Then, I could be wrong here, unusual, but it can happen. In some intances police authorities don't have to pass-on 'driving/motor fine' money to the treasury, in other words they can keep the fine money for themselve, so to speak, & this could be one of the reasons they hit the drivers. Now, as we all know, the police never have enough gelt notwithstandign the fact that we have one of the best funded police services in the world, they are ALWAYS short. Its paying for sicky-days, the overtime rip-off + a lot more dicking around that does the financial damage, or so the papers say. [sorry Pal Sportsman, you really should get 'The Times' posted onto your overseas address!] <_< There's been a situation recently, could've been Oxfordshire way-on, where the polis had stopped funding speed cameras, they were too expensive. Now, how did they get around that one, I'll tell yee if you listen. You must be aware that if one pulls a driving offence & garners penalty points as a result one can, nowadays, elect to go for a advisory course on how to become a good boy [or girl] again in terms of your driving. Well, the money the heat have raked in for this skive-off was sufficient to re-commission the speed cameras once more. Good eh. <_<

Currently the 'powers that be' are considering a root & branch reform of 'Britains Finest; 'not before bloody time' is all I have to say to that. If style, image, strut & arrogance plus the overuse of ''keep-out' barrier tape' in any way equated to efficiency we WOULD have the best police force in the world. Some chance.

But, enough said & regards to you all,

H of The Pond. :)

Thanks for the advice Mr H but double quilted toilet tissue is widely available here ;)

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/