Injury whilst fishing

stooby

Hi all,

Its hit Friday afternoon and I'm sitting at work.... and you know how your mind wonders at this time of day, anyway, I wondered what peoples worst injurys were whilst fishing? a bit grim I know, but hey.... makes good reading :rolleyes:

Luckily the worst I've had is catching a size 12 deep in my finger so only just the tip of the shaft was visible! it hurt like **** but after a quick clean, some anti-bac I was all good again and back wetting a line!....

....however, I am sure some of us are not as fortunate and have suffered far worse incidents, if so please feel free to share :D

Cheers,

Stu...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily the worst I've had is catching a size 12 deep in my finger so only just the tip of the shaft was visible! it hurt like **** but after a quick clean, some anti-bac I was all good again and back wetting a line!....

It's well-known situation for me. I have seen such accidence in my last fishing. At that time it looked like a terrible show but now this situation calls smiles on our faces when we remember it.

Hi not had a hook in the finger but ...

I have had a size 6 barbed go through my nose when I was younger , the person who caused it was my cousin picked up my rod and went to cast it when I was walking into divvy , next min he shouts where has the float gone followed by my howling turned around to see that the hook had burryed itself into my nose up the nostril and back out the front , blood everywhere bloody stung like hell had to get it pulled straight through front and rinsed by paramedics as I had passed out to the sight of blood :s not good hahaha

Not trusted him since when casting any rod haha

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza

Pinning my jeans and my knickers to my bum...I did a daft trick and slipped a mepp type spinner into my back pocket instead of putting it away properly in a box. At home I sat down, flet sharp pressure then a 'pop' as one of the treble points went all the way in past the barb. It took a trip to hospital, a local anesthetic with a bit of 'cutting away' to get it out. I recovered from the experience, but the jeans and knickers were never the same again!

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Stooby,

Worst? Well, I'm not sure. I exited stage left. Two catfishermen (drunks) had a 3/4 oz egg sinker fight with slingshots. One got hit in the ear region on the side of his head. He was knocked colder than a hammer and they had called for medical assistance about the time I was leaving. (Never did get that rod and reel back).

Can't even begin to count the number of "newbies" I assisted at "fishins" on free fishing days sponsored by various groups. We have, usually, one day a year you can fish without any sort of permits. Kids and inexperienced adults are how show up. They usually "hook" each other one way or another. Had one lad "intentionally" wind line so tightly around his finger we had to send him to the hospatal to have it removed. Still don't know how he accomplished that little trick.

Phone

Where do I start lol

Cracked myself in a the head with a 2oz lead that got stuck in a weed bed.....lesson learnt, dont pull with the bend of the rod!

Chopped my finger to the bone going for a big chuck without a stall, braid goes through flesh so easily! still hit 200+ but my Tekken skills have been hindered lol

Broke my ankle a mile from where my dad was fishing......my dog Jack went to get him....then he had to carry me back to the car lol

Broke my ankle again after slipping down a bank......Dad was used to carring me by this point :D

Dropped off of a jetty in winter, straight into the Ouse whilst trying to retrieve a lost float.

Lures stuck well past the barb in my thumb, more busted joints.....

Im 31 and I still havent learnt my lessons fully :D

One is described at post #18 here.

Another time I bent down to recover some dropped sunglasses on Brixham breakwater and slipped, and kept on slipping until i was swimming. Between the slipping going in and the slipping coming out and all the barnacles, I ended up looking as if I'd been thrown into a potato peeler. I was very, very sore the next day.

My luckiest escape was fishing the Severn from a grassy outcrop when the whole thing gave way dropping me chest deep into the river. As I landed on my feet, I felt the whole thing roll forward to touch the backs of my calves and then stop. If it had carried on moving, there's every chance that it would have pinned my legs and me with them underwater.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I have found several items that hurt more than a hook, at least they go in cleanly (most of the time).

Pole floats - At present I have a 5mm by 5mm chunk out of my right hand - playing a rather large carp on the pole last Sunday, went to net it using top two sections and off it went like a steam train, preston hollow 17 elastic has some power and as I could not add more sections the hook pulled and my hand was hit by a 100mph float - OUCH

Years ago tried pulling one from a tree by yanking elastic - it ended up sticking out of my hand stem end first - OUCH

Carbon - several years ago slipped and tried to break my fall by grabbing no 4 section - A massive splinter of carbon went in my hand - belive me carbon splinters hurt. OUCH.

Catapults / 20mm halibut pellets - not being round 20mm halibut pellets have a mind of their own in flight - coupled with a powerfull catapult firing them 60 yards they are deadly - espicially the one's that miss fired straight into my hand. OUCH

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Had a few hooks stuck in me over the years, but the worst "incident" was when a Moorhen took my breadcrust bait. I heaved and the bird came at me with claws outstretched and hit me in the face. One set of claws was embedded above and below my right eye and the more I tried to free one claw the more the other one went in deeper. I ended up throttling the bird before getting its claws out. Ended up in Crawley hospital, covered in blood, lucky (?) not to lose an eye. Still bear the scars 55 years later.

Oh yeah, poles and elastics can be lethal as well..................

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic