So Ghadaffi dies

Sportsman

Now,

Well you seem to have the podium alone.

Given the history of mankind for at least the last 50,000 years rather than to censure or find fault with those of us who have a sense of relief why don't you suggest a practical non-religious alternative?

I believe Gadaffi did receive "due process" by his own definition.

Phone

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that golden pistol was planted on him? Possible, I suppose, but he was previously known to possess such a weapon.

When he was killed was he unarmed? Yes.

When pictured in the mob he was unarmed. Yes.

Did not a young fighter hold his golden pistol which was his only weapon to hand. Yes.

Was he afforded internationally recognised protection in respect of the Geneva Convention. No.

An unarmed combatant is protected by the Geneva Convention, unless you in your bloodlust you know of a different convention.

The idea of International law is for it to protect everyone.

The fact he is documented as begging for his life means he was coherent and had surrendered.

People should remember that we have not the right to say who does or does not have protection from international law.

I don't shed any tears for Gadaffi but if the rebellion was to uphold the rights of the population then it failed at the first hurdle for Gaddafi himself was a member of that same population. Those with the bloodlust need to see the whole picture.

It is not about the individual but about the idea.

Gadaffi was denied the fundamental rights that we all take for granted, some seemingly more than others.

Is it clear yet that he was definitely executed and did not subsequently die of injuries sustained while resisting capture? No

Do we know properly what happened at all? No

Was the local militia which captured and allegedly executed him under the control of national or foreign governments? No

The fact he is documented as begging for his life means he was coherent and had surrendered.
That's a documented fact? Please show me the document that states that this is a fact. Show me how you know what you claim to know.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Where do you draw the line? Hitler, Mussolini, Saddam, Bin Laden? What would you have done in their cases?

I wouldn't go as far to say the death sentence should be reinstated, but, possibly contradicting myself i do think in the execption these type of people should be executed.

Personally i think they should have publicly hung him, but whatever floats their boat.

dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Is it clear yet that he was definitely executed and did not subsequently die of injuries sustained while resisting capture? No

Do we know properly what happened at all? No

Was the local militia which captured and allegedly executed him under the control of national or foreign governments? No

1. Gadaffi was shown on recorded film in full control of his faculties. If he was mortally wounded it would not have been so.

2. We know what happened. He was taken prisoner alive and ended up dead. He was a P.O.W.

3. The militia that captured him had a duty under international law to adhere to the rules of the Geneva convention.

More so when the west funded them, armed them and assisted them.

The militia behaved no better that the soldiers of Gaddafi.

No one has an answer for this. All I hear is, "Gadaffi deserved to die."

Well, this maybe true but a Country trying to break the yolk of tyranny commiting an act of tyranny in doing so is no better, in fact far worse, than the original regime.

Gaddafi should have been treated in the same way as captured Germans at the end of world war 2, unless there was some other motive for his death.

That's a documented fact? Please show me the document that states that this is a fact. Show me how you know what you claim to know.

He was shown on UK television alive amidst the sea of militia.

He was talking. He was begging for his life. He was asking questions. He was walking.

What more proof is needed that he was coherent?

You seem to be the kind of person who would say, " Do as I say not as I do."

Until something happens to you of course then you would probably scream you ass off.

The Law is there to protect all not a select few.

@ Dave Dave....it is not the individual but the principle of Law. You obviously feel that it can be turned on or off like a tap.

If a person is captured they are automatically protected by the Geneva Convention.

Unless you know of a different convention??

Hitler commited suicide.

Mussolini was executed without trial.

Bin Laden died in combat.

Only Mussolinis death broke recognised conventions.

He was shown on UK television alive amidst the sea of militia.

He was talking. He was begging for his life. He was asking questions. He was walking.

What more proof is needed that he was coherent?

You seem to be the kind of person who would say, " Do as I say not as I do."

Until something happens to you of course then you would probably scream you ass off.

The Law is there to protect all not a select few.

@ Dave Dave....it is not the individual but the principle of Law. You obviously feel that it can be turned on or off like a tap.

If a person is captured they are automatically protected by the Geneva Convention.

Unless you know of a different convention??

Hitler commited suicide.

Mussolini was executed without trial.

Bin Laden died in combat.

Only Mussolinis death broke recognised conventions.

I have seen the the same broadcasts you have. Unless you speak Arabic, you like me have no clue what he was saying. I hear what you are saying about the Geneva Coventions, but they are often broken in war, especially in a civil war.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

At the end of the day he would of only have been arrested, spent a short time having the sh*t kicked out of him in prison, then had a biased and corrupt trial and then shortly executed.

Putting it simply he was a murdering scumbag and doing the it way they did saved everybody a lot of time and money.

-

I know how they died i was using them as examples. Bin laden killed in combat? So you're saying he wasn't assisnated? He couldn't of been captured alive, is that what you're saying?

-

In principal i kind of agree with you, but a fair trial was never going to happen in a country like Libya, now nearly in complete control under the rebels.

He's probably just happy they didn't torture him first

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

In a way I wish he had not been killed. I would like to see him hung in Green Square (now martyrs square) in Tripoli, as he condemned so many to die and so many many more that didn't make it to a public execution but just disappeared.

Whilst he remained alive the Libyan people would always worry that his supporters would come back. Don't forget, they spent 40 years of not being able to have a normal discussion or argument in the street for fear of his secret police. It needed Gadaffi to die to remove that feeling of oppression. He needed to die, and the people needed to see it with their own eyes. His killing may turn out to be unlawful but his death serves the greater good, of that there can be no doubt.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/