M5 crash

Andrew

This is not, I repeat not intended to be light hearted but it would appear that I'm not alone in thinking that tailgaters are arseh0les!

Youtube Video ->Original Video

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

It is your "responsibility" I agree.

"Fault", in everyday life implies "personally preventable". If you run into the back of me it may have been a defect or imperfection or flaw - the failing or a "fault" in my brand new brakes. Still my responsibility.

Phone

If you run into the back of the car in front, it's your fault. Who else's fault could it be?

A woman knocked on my door and wanted me for a "witness". She had run into my neighbours dustbin!

Neighbours were out (lucky them) so this woman wanted to establish they were at fault in leaving this dustbin at the top of their drive.

On pointing out the dustbin had been emptied, so the last person to position it was a council employee, she wanted to sue the council.

At no point did it occur to her that she was in any way to blame.

Eventually her insurance company sent me a witness statement to fill in

You can imagine the fun I had in filling in answers to such questions as "Speed of other vehicle" :rolleyes:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I remember a foggy morning on a dual carriageway outside Aberdeen some years ago

There had been a multiple car pile up with a dozen cars nose to tail due to driving too fast.

Myself and a colleague (both offshore medics) had stopped to help, parking my car well back with hazards on. We were soon joined by Ambulance, Police and Fire service. The Police were reluctant at first to close the road completely as it was the major route into Aberdeen, in the rush hour.

I clearly remember the sounds of braking and skidding tyres as drivers howled out of the fog, oblivious to flashing blue lights and high vis men and machines. One white van man actually drove into a fire engine which are usually quite easy to see.

Because of danger to the rescuers the road was closed, much to the disgust of those wanting to get to work.

A Police Inspector on the local TV news later that day described it as the worst driving he had seen anywhere in the world

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Steve,

It is your "responsibility" I agree.

"Fault", in everyday life implies "personally preventable". If you run into the back of me it may have been a defect or imperfection or flaw - the failing or a "fault" in my brand new brakes. Still my responsibility.

Even then, one should leave enough gap that there is room to stop if the car in front performs an emergency stop - whether by brake malfunction or because they can see a hazard that you can't. There might be some mitigation if the car in front has no brake lights, but arguably you shouldn't be relying on that.

(there are gangs who deliberately cause car crashes in order to claim trumped up personal injury compensation, and their normal tactic is to disable the brake lights and then stamp on the brakes in a situation where the car behind would not expect it)

......None of them supply me with a reason to accuse unknown drivers of driving dangerously or tailgating, and none of them give me any justification in calling any of the victims of the M5 crash Arseholes.

I never said any such thing Den, as well you know.

Do you base all your other "research" on the same basis of speculation? or are you one of those people who are blessed with such extreme knowledge of the world that you are always right, so never have any need to apologise for your words?

Den

No I based my view of the crash on observation of the aerial photographs of the crash site showing 1. A car jammed under the tailgate of a lorry that had stopped in a straight line...obviously the car driver had been too close to stop in time. 2. Jack-knifed lorries on a dead straight stretch of road. Explain that one Den. 3. Most importantly the description of the crash as a "pile up". They cannot happen if people are travelling at a safe distance.

I feel no need to apologise for saying that there were arseh0les involved, at least two drivers were arseh0les (statistically probably more as the crash covered three lanes). If those drivers had driven safely nobody would have died!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I never said any such thing Den, as well you know.

No I based my view of the crash on observation of the aerial photographs of the crash site showing 1. A car jammed under the tailgate of a lorry that had stopped in a straight line...obviously the car driver had been too close to stop in time. 2. Jack-knifed lorries on a dead straight stretch of road. Explain that one Den. 3. Most importantly the description of the crash as a "pile up". They cannot happen if people are travelling at a safe distance.

I feel no need to apologise for saying that there were arseh0les involved, at least two drivers were arseh0les (statistically probably more as the crash covered three lanes). If those drivers had driven safely nobody would have died!

I totally agree with you. People on UK roads drive with a death wish...they drive like they have to be where they're going yesterday.

Today on the A57 in poor visibility I watched some idiot drive in excess of 70 mph towards a roundabout only slowing down at the last minute...imaging if the brakes had failed.. <_< <_<

I watched a Women in a 4 x 4 on her mobile phone turning out of a T Junction oblivious to the oncoming lorry...it missed her...what a shame to be honest. She still never put down the phone...

Another Women overtook me, whilst I was doing 60 mph on a single carriageway, in her new BMW narrowly missing the motorbike overtaking her....

So I went home and parked up....safer that way today me thinks.

I have no knowledge of the crash.

I did observe that it was at a junction. From my experience in perfect visibility not all people merge easily into the flowing traffic at a junction.

On the same night and only an hour before the BBC were carring a report that celebrations were cancelled in Bridgewater due to torrential rain.

Then we get reports of smoke fog mist.

Hmmm not a good night to be on that stretch then.

Poor surface, impaired visibility and traffic problems.

Hmmm

"Muddlin' along"

I remember a foggy morning on a dual carriageway outside Aberdeen some years ago

There had been a multiple car pile up with a dozen cars nose to tail due to driving too fast.

Myself and a colleague (both offshore medics) had stopped to help, parking my car well back with hazards on. We were soon joined by Ambulance, Police and Fire service. The Police were reluctant at first to close the road completely as it was the major route into Aberdeen, in the rush hour.

I clearly remember the sounds of braking and skidding tyres as drivers howled out of the fog, oblivious to flashing blue lights and high vis men and machines. One white van man actually drove into a fire engine which are usually quite easy to see.

Because of danger to the rescuers the road was closed, much to the disgust of those wanting to get to work.

A Police Inspector on the local TV news later that day described it as the worst driving he had seen anywhere in the world

I remember that one too Sportsman. It even made the news down here.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote