Thanksgiving Day coming up!

Phone

I firmly believe that a preference for "well done" beef is a minor perversion - similar to sniffing used women's shoes - strange but harmless and I'll still gladly be friends with someone as long as they are otherwise fun to be around.
:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

Newt is right, no beef this afternoon, ham and turkey (coming soon!). Well, I'm not exactly sure that is true. We will have mincemeat pie (made with Pippin apples) and a dollop of artery clogging whipping cream ( a favorite of mine too). Does mincemeat have beef in it? I don't believe so? I'll attempt to set a record and eat it all. The others will have pumpkin pie and whipping cream.

Phone

We call them sweetmince over here. if thats the same as your version.

Here's a recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/oldfashionedsweetmin_90635

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

All,

Newt is right, no beef this afternoon, ham and turkey (coming soon!). Well, I'm not exactly sure that is true. We will have mincemeat pie (made with Pippin apples) and a dollop of artery clogging whipping cream ( a favorite of mine too). Does mincemeat have beef in it? I don't believe so? I'll attempt to set a record and eat it all. The others will have pumpkin pie and whipping cream.

Phone

Go for it Phone

The whipping cream will not clog your arteries ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Go for it Phone

The whipping cream will not clog your arteries

Oh dear. I fear that Sportsman may be about to rehabilitate lard as part of his diet.

Related to both food and thanksgiving (and indeed lard) I have a question.

What is this American fascination with being able to fry a whole turkey ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I have nothing against lard :)

Hot toast and beef dripping with salt and pepper. Better than fillet steak ;)

An interesting blog

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011...t-increase.html

"The next study to discuss is the 1976 Tecumseh study (5). This was a large cardiovascular observational study conducted in Tecumseh, Michigan, which is often used as the basis for comparison for other cardiovascular studies in the literature. Using the 24 hour dietary recall method, including an analysis of saturated fat, the investigators found that:

Cholesterol and triglyceride levels were unrelated to quality, quantity, or proportions of fat, carbohydrate or protein consumed in the 24-hr recall period.

They also noted that the result was consistent with what had been reported in other previously published studies, including the Evans county study (6), the massive Israel Ischemic Heart Disease Study (7) and the Framingham study. One of the longest-running, most comprehensive and most highly cited observational studies, the Framingham study was organized by Harvard investigators and continues to this day. When investigators analyzed the relationship between saturated fat intake, serum cholesterol and heart attack risk, they were so disappointed that they never formally published the results. We know from multiple sources that they found no significant relationship between saturated fat intake and blood cholesterol or heart attack risk***."

Brink on the lard sandwiches :lol:

Edited by Sportsman

Here we go again :offtopic:

But there are also some interesting studies on salt.

There are a proportion of people who's hypertension is made much worse by salt (from memory its about 5%) and obviously this brings with it increased risk of cerebrovascular events, however, for a very large proportion of people, and increased salt intake has no discernible risks associated with it and the usual NHS advice is simply precautionary.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Here we go again :offtopic:

But there are also some interesting studies on salt.

There are a proportion of people who's hypertension is made much worse by salt (from memory its about 5%) and obviously this brings with it increased risk of cerebrovascular events, however, for a very large proportion of people, and increased salt intake has no discernible risks associated with it and the usual NHS advice is simply precautionary.

Err you started it.

A bit about lard:

"Animal fats such as lard are around 43% Saturated, 47% Mono-unsaturated and 10% Polyunsaturated - which the evidence suggests is just about ideal."

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/cholesterol_myth_2.html

My old man used to take beef dripping sandwiches down the pit for his bait, said it was better than meat.

Same as me da for the shipyard mate.

Beef dripping banjo's and tripe cut small in milk in a flask.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Err you started it.

Guilty as charged - but even I'm struggling to keep up with the twists and turns.