Thanksgiving Day coming up!

Phone

A world of difference between a wild goose shot over the marsh and a domesticated "thing"

I too prefer Pheasant but I really like a partridge as well. You need one each. Now I don't shoot any more they are not so easy to get.

Have to say though that my absolute favourite is a saddle of Roe deer. Red currant jelly Roast potatoes, parsnips and carrots.

We have ordered 3 haunch roasts of venison from Scotland for the Christmas period and there is a British couple down the road who run a free range farm so we will be having Sanglia (Wild Boar) crossed with Gloucester Old Spot pork and a free range Norfolk Black Turkey for the main meal.

We are having our French neighbours round for a traditional Christmas lunch with all the trimming. A bit nervous making as he is a Chef ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yum yum, venison and decent pork. I'm sure your French chef neighbour will love it. Anyway the French seldom criticise a meal when dining at someone else's house. You eat what's put in front of you and say it was good. Turning up your nose at somebody else's cuisine is the height of bad manners.

PS it's spelt sanglier ;)

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

A world of difference between a wild goose shot over the marsh and a domesticated "thing"
Yeah you have to pluck it before you get to the fat and bones ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

All,

I like it that this thread turned into a "food thread".

Three of my favorite oxymorons (sp)

BRITISH FASHION

BRITISH GOURMET CUISINE

BRITISH HUMOUR

I nearly starved to death choking bits down whilst visiting the UK.

I noticed an article (maybe a year ago) that said pizza had passed Chinese as the number one takeout in America. How about American pizza?

Phone

(although I confess to a "liking" for the humour)

How about American pizza?
Got to be better than American Chinese food. I remember having a sweet n' sour in the chinese restauraunt in the Imperial Palace Hotel, Las Vegas. It was a radioactive red colour and it had Marachino cherries in the Sweet 'n Sour sauce.

I stuck to pizza and steaks after that.

Another gut-churning experience was in the Marriot hotel in New Orleans. Myself an a couple of dozen or so other Merchant Seamen had flown out to New Orleans to join a ship. Fortunately for us the ship was delayed, so we had a couple of days to kick the gong around.

The first night we went to the French Quarter and whooped it up in a few saloons and Jazz Bars. It's New Orleans, it's gotta be done. Next morning I was feeling a bit fragile, a few too many Hurrican's in Pat O'Brians being the probable cause, but I figured I could handle breakfast all the same so off to the restaurant I go. I'd never had breakfast in America before (I'm sure there is a song about that) , but it looked pretty much like the stuff we eat so I decided I'd just have what the guy in front was having. He puts a potato waffle on his plate, so I grab a waffle; next he grabs some bacon so I grab a few rashers too. Ditto with the hash brown, mushrooms, etc, etc. Then the jerk in front of me picks up a bottle of maple syrup and squirts it all over his breakfast :yucky:. I abandoned my plate and headed of in the direction of the nearest "rest room".

Which begs the question. Why can't Americans just say "toilet"?

Edited by corydoras

Not so. Hamburgers originated in 15th Century Germany (The clue is in the name ). Chicken is domesticated Jungle Fowl, and has it's origins in India.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good burger and good chicken - I just loathe McD's, KFC and all the rest.

I'm not knocking American food either (Although it's easy to pick on a country that invented spray cheese) because there's some very fine food in the US. I well recall Keith Floyd being gobsmacked at the sophistication of American cuisine - especially in the south.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good burger and good chicken - I just loathe McD's, KFC and all the rest.

I'm not knocking American food either (Although it's easy to pick on a country that invented spray cheese) because there's some very fine food in the US. I well recall Keith Floyd being gobsmacked at the sophistication of American cuisine - especially in the south.

Best burger I ever had, after a home made one was in Woolworth's in New Orleans. It was so good I had another. Some rough eatin' down south too. I never plucked up the courage to visit one of those "all the catfish you can eat" for $5 joints.

Some people are never satisfied. Food snobbery is what it is.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Some people are never satisfied. Food snobbery is what it is.

Erm, No it ain't.

I have a freezer full of meat and most of it is marked up as a quarter of it's usual retail price or less because it was reduced and I regularly shop for ingredients at Lidl. I really ain't proud or snobbish but I do care about the quality of what I eat enough to cook from raw ingredients and don't mind putting my hand in my pocket once in a while to by good quality produce.

I don't eat at McD's because it's foul tasting garbage.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I'm easy to satisfy. Some nice French pork chipolatas, 100% pork, no added rusk, no added breadcrumbs with real chips, cooked in a real deep fryer, all accompanied by a hunk of good French bread and a glass of red wine.

I can't go into a supermarket and buy that here. It doesn't matter how much I'm willing to pay, I can't get a 100% pork sausage in a supermarket here. You can't buy a sausage that has got rusk or breadcrumbs in it in France. If its not 100% pork, you can't sell it as sausage. The French bread in all our supermarkets is overpriced and is crap. The only French thing about it is the shape.

There is a French attitude to food that just does not exist here. If I go to my local bakers and as for un pain he is going to ask me; how do I like it fired? Do I want one that was baked in a mould, or on the sole of the oven?

Another example is buying mince. When you buy mince in a butcher's in France the butcher always takes the meat and minces it in front of you. They never have mince that you don't know what might be in it sitting on display on the counter.