the man who wants every zander dead

mark barrett

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought .... if the EA choose not to prosecute, would it not throw into doubt all future EA prosecutions of any law breach ? The rationale behing this being the defendant could (quite reasonably) claim discrimination (as the EA were prosecuting him, but failed to deal with Collins as he was a pensioner).

The EA are a waste of space. Always have been and always will be.

Sorry to interupt the, "foaming at the mouth" and "lets burn his house down", rhetoric.

"Over 35% of the children born in Africa, do not live to see their fifth birthday".

Source: US Department of State. 4th February 2004.

I just felt that the World needed putting back into some perspective.

I have sent me calm, measured email, by the way.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Just got this reply from the EA.

Dear Sir/Madam:

COMPLAINT REGARDING ZANDER

Thank you for your e-mail received on 25 February 2004.

I am sorry you have cause to complain. The Environment Agency is committed to use all complaints in a positive manner, not only to answer your individual complaint but also to improve our standards for all our customers.

My understanding of your complaint is principally that you believe Peter Collins should be prosecuted by the Environment Agency for his admitted illegal fishing activities.

If your complaint has been misunderstood in any way then please advise the undersigned.

I have established the best person to look into your complaint is Mike Atkinson, Environment Management Team Leader. Mr Atkinson will contact you by 10 March 2004 and will advise you if there is any delay.

To help us communicate with you more easily, please tell us if you have any specific needs.

Yours faithfully

ERNIE PEARCE

Customer Contact Assistant

Standard reply by the look of things! But at least my email was read and the meaning was understood.

Good response from Cranfield!

We do need to keep things in perspective.

Coln

SNAP!!

"Dear Sir/Madam:

COMPLAINT REGARDING ZANDER

Thank you for your e-mail received on 25 February 2004.

I am sorry you have cause to complain. The Environment Agency is committed to use all complaints in a positive manner, not only to answer your individual complaint but also to improve our standards for all our customers.

My understanding of your complaint is principally that you believe Peter Collins should be prosecuted by the Environment Agency for his admitted illegal fishing activities.

If your complaint has been misunderstood in any way then please advise the undersigned.

I have established the best person to look into your complaint is Mike Atkinson, Environment Management Team Leader. Mr Atkinson will contact you by 10 March 2004 and will advise you if there is any delay.

To help us communicate with you more easily, please tell us if you have any specific needs.

Yours faithfully

Ernie Pearce

Customer Contact Assistant

Direct dial 01480 483822

Direct fax 01480 483823

E-mail ernest.pearce@environment-agency.gov.uk"

Do you reckon old Ernie is getting a bit fed-up by now. :D:D

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Zander are an invasive alien species, just like mitten crabs, mink, coypu et al. They should not be permitted to live in our waterways and returning a captured zander back to the water should be an offence. The EA should be netting them, not protecting them IMHO.

[ 25. February 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Dear Cory,

You said quote;

"Zander are an invasive alien species,"

Prove they are invasive.

And the issue "IS", the chap was caught performing illegal actions. Admitted to many more. And the EA refused to prosecute. Why? That’s the issue here.

Fact. The EA has a statutory duty to uphold the bye-laws it polices.

I would imagine if the club where the offences took place were to get their solicitor to write a letter of protest to the EA, then the EA would have little choice but to climb down and prosecute.

John also highlights a very real danger of precedents being set. I would imagine a clever barrister could use this issue as a case "against" the EA enforcement policy in the future? Crazy.

Regards,

Lee.

Well Corydoras, that's balanced things up a bit!! As a matter of interest, what's your favorite species? As if I can't guess !

Zander, in itself is not the issue. Every reasonable angler surely wishes to see the laws of our sport upheld fairly. Irrespective of species, or age, these law should be respected and obeyed.

As a matter of interest I have caught one zander, by accident! It is not a species that concerns me overly much. But what does concern me is the fact that the EA is NOT doing its job as it is duty bound to do.

[ 25. February 2004, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]