Not sure what to make of this

Ken L

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying that your RE teacher is using his position to preach Christianity to you?

Well he teachs all religions

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

In my school when you get to year 10 you have to pick 3 subject you want to do. you have to take English, Maths, Science, IT, A language ( in my case Spanish), and religious. I have Religious more times in two weeks than 1 off my chosen subjects History. Plus religious is only half a GCSE, so to be honest i would rather revise for history than religious. Plus one of the teachers is very religious and he is christain. In class we wore debaiting one what we thought of christianity and this is how the convasation went:

Me- "I am not religious sir"

Sir- "give me a good reason why"

If it's a real issue and you are genuinely prepared to work on other subjects in the time available, I suggest that you discuss the matter with your parents with a view to them writing to the school and excluding you from RE.

Punishing students for not believing silly religious stories is in any event way beyond acceptable behavior.

The ability to formulate opinions and preparedness to defend them in debate should (given the proviso that you are prepared to acknowledge when your argument is proven false) be positively encouraged - but that's no way to make little religious drones is it......

I'm interested though.

Is your school self identified as a religious school - Catholic, CofE etc ?

and

Is your RE teacher actively promoting Christianity whilst paying lip service to telling you what those strange foreigners believe or is he giving equal time and credence to each religion covered ?

Actively promoting Christianity whilst paying lip service to those strange foreign religions was certainly the way of things when I was at school.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I just confused my RE teacher by asking about the hydrodynamic propeties of the Ark.

Cory, my first guess... The A stands for... Aardvark? :lol: It stands as you actually ARE an Aardvark, sent by God (the almighty prankster), to test our faith, much in the way that Dinosaur fossils are purported to... Am I close? :P

NTARU, the most important question, is not whether Eve was created from a spare rib at all but; Was it marinaded first? And; What flavour?

In all honesty, even though I am an Atheist, I do find the history behind the various religions interesting.

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Actively promoting Christianity whilst paying lip service to those strange foreign religions was certainly the way of things when I was at school.
Not always. We had a really good RE teacher. He wasn't a real RE Teacher, we had one of them, but German Geordie was a Classics teacher (when I went to school in Scotland you could study classics in a comprehensive, if you had the nous). He had been a fighter pilot during the war and was taken POW. The Germans didn't like his repeated attempts to escape so they beat him up a bit and lopped his ears off in the process, so he looked mean, but wasn't, anyway I digress.

He had also been an archaeologist and had worked in Ur, in this place he called Mesopotamia and we call Iraq. All it took was for someone to mention Ur, Tigris, Euphrates, the Chaldeans or the Sumerians and he would be off at a tangent and we got to leave religions (at least extant ones) behind for the last two periods of a Friday afternoon.

PS. He was called German Geordie because he had a very square shaped head and used to flutter around in his black robes and mortar board and since he had no ears, often sported a monocle. He really did look like the archetypal Teuton.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I just confused my RE teacher by asking about the hydrodynamic propeties of the Ark.
I remember asking an Church of Scotland minister, who came to chat to us about Bible stuff (if your parents were no Churchgoers, they'd get you at school) what God did on the 8th day. He told me that on the 8th day he made Hell, for little boy's like me who asked too many questions.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

All it took was for someone to mention Ur, Tigris, Euphrates, the Chaldeans or the Sumerians and he would be off at a tangent and we got to leave religions (at least extant ones) behind for the last two periods of a Friday afternoon.

In our school, RE was mostly taught by the local priest, who also took under 12s rugby and ran the school theatrical productions and a couple of holidays away - mention of any of these other interests were sufficient to sidetrack him from RE for the whole lesson.

We had two other RE teachers at various times, one of them left to become a priest and I believe the other was a lay preacher. This wasn't a church school either.

In our school, RE was mostly taught by the local priest, who also took under 12s rugby and ran the school theatrical productions and a couple of holidays away - mention of any of these other interests were sufficient to sidetrack him from RE for the whole lesson.

We had two other RE teachers at various times, one of them left to become a priest and I believe the other was a lay preacher. This wasn't a church school either.

Strange that. Neither of our RE teachers were religious, or at least were not overtly so.

If it's a real issue and you are genuinely prepared to work on other subjects in the time available, I suggest that you discuss the matter with your parents with a view to them writing to the school and excluding you from RE.

Punishing students for not believing silly religious stories is in any event way beyond acceptable behavior.

The ability to formulate opinions and preparedness to defend them in debate should (given the proviso that you are prepared to acknowledge when your argument is proven false) be positively encouraged - but that's no way to make little religious drones is it......

I'm interested though.

Is your school self identified as a religious school - Catholic, CofE etc ?

and

Is your RE teacher actively promoting Christianity whilst paying lip service to telling you what those strange foreigners believe or is he giving equal time and credence to each religion covered ?

no lip service when i was at school ,everyone was a christian whether you were or not and jews excused to wherever they went.

even stranger our teacher of both religion and english was a indian chap who had problems with some english words (melancholy was a great bit of fun and half a lesson could be used up not only getting to say it once but repeatedly to the suddenly deaf pupils ) :D

he didnt last long nor the "african" guy either,the worst foreigner was a bit part actor who retaliated to the bile of the class with frequent and repeated hitting across the knuckles with two rulers on their edge ,this was his down fall! leaving visible injuries

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I asked my religous teacher if I could meet "God"...I was told only when I die.

I asked my religous teacher why, if God was so great, did he need to get Joshua to sack Jerrico?..no answer.

I asked my religous teacher to prove that God was real.. He said he couldn't but believed in him because of his faith.

He stated he heard Gods calling and I got 2 detentions for saying that schizophrenia does that to you... <_<<_<

I am Atheist but look at what Ralians say with interest.

If say many thousands of years ago ET's came here with our level of scientific knowledge or better they would be called Gods.

The Bible speaks of war in the heavens and technically there is a missing Planet, where the Asteroid belt is, perhaps a species of ET needed to relocate and had to mix with indiginous humanoids for their species to survive.

Example:

1. Population of the world from meagre resources---genetic cloning and modification.

2. The voice of God---someone sitting in an aircraft in the clouds with a loudspeaker.

3. Private conversations with Noah---ET attaching a mike to his clothes.

4. Angels---ET with a jetpack and a light attached to his head.

5. The immaculate conception---ET with a syringe full of...you know what.

6. The destruction of Jerrico---concentrated sound waves, hence the emphasis on the Horn.

7. Lazarus---could have been nothing more than a drug induced coma.

8. Jesus --- a real Man but one with medical knowledge such as that we have today or even more advanced.

To someone from say 2,000 to 5,000 years ago such things would be beyond comprehension and deemed miraculous.

Makes you think and after all why would a God need to bury millions of Dinosaur bones?