Spinning for trout thread

AddictedToScopex

1. A simple Mepps will outscore just about everything but sometimes a small minnow plug is handy as a change bait.

With spinners, I tend not to drop below size 2 because even small trout will inhale a lure and the smaller sizes seem to cause more gill damage than big ones, sizes 2 and 3 should cover most situations.

2. Clear water but as Emma says, a bit of colour after a spate is OK so long as the level isn’t to high.

3. Fast shallow water (even if it only looks a few inches deep) will hold trout but the run in and run offs from fords are also worth targeting. A bit of cover also helps.

4. Trout hate lures that are travelling upstream. Cast up and retrieve back fast enough to keep the blade moving. To fish the downstream portion of the swim, cast across and let the lure swing around (You may have to wind very slowly to keep the blade going) and just let the lure swing across the stream.

5. I would start off with 10lb Firleine. Your could use a thin braid like Whiplash upto 20lb but wind knots are an issue with light braids and light lures and they will drive you insane.

I would definitely recommend assuming that pike are present and using a trace. If you get through half a dozen sessions and there is still no sign of any, you might want to drop down to a light flouro leader – not just because it’s low vis but because it’s stiffer than mono and this helps reduce tangles.

For river trout, you really don’t need a lure rod rated to cast more than 20g or a reel bigger than 2000 size – although I do almost all my fishing with a 1000.

Cheers for the input ken. I do use a small match reel and I think the rod will be perfect. I have fished the stretch for quite a while now and never had any sign of pike and never heard of any coming out there either. I guess that doesnt mean they arent there but I have certainly never seen evidence of them on the more upstream part I would be having a go at. Guess it pays to be cautious though.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

Just wondering? Do you use a trout lure called a "Super Duper" in the UK. I bet I have a hundred (well, maybe 50) and it always seems to be #1 when I "HAVE" to trout fish (I'm not very good at it). They are weird "U" shaped devices.

Phone

All,

Just wondering? Do you use a trout lure called a "Super Duper" in the UK. I bet I have a hundred (well, maybe 50) and it always seems to be #1 when I "HAVE" to trout fish (I'm not very good at it). They are weird "U" shaped devices.

Phone

Any pics or links phone? Never heard of them myself.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Vagabond has give you the beneift of his experience on the waters he has fished,

Yes, maybe I should have specified how wide that experience is.

Upstream spinning (ie casting your spinner upstream and bringing it back faster than the current) will get you trout anywhere they swim (except if conditions are extreme - like red-water floods) - the waters I have fished for trout include brooks, streams and rivers in Sussex, Kent, Hampshire, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Norfolk, North and Central Wales, Lake District, Southern Uplands, Central Highlands, Northwestern Highlands, Hebrides, Shetland, Ireland, Massachusetts, Colorado, South Africa, and Tasmania. That includes all sizes of river from the Spey down to tiny hill streams.

In many places catching trout on spinner cast upstream is so easy there is a "fly only" rule - and as I said, these days I only use the spinning method if I want a couple of fresh trout to eat in the near future. If I want to have a leisurely morning's fishing for trout, I take a fly rod. Trout are so easily caught (IF they are not spooked) that it is necessary to handicap oneself either by a bag limit - or by using a more difficult method to slow up the catch rate.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yes, maybe I should have specified how wide that experience is.

Upstream spinning (ie casting your spinner upstream and bringing it back faster than the current) will get you trout anywhere they swim (except if conditions are extreme - like red-water floods) - the waters I have fished for trout include brooks, streams and rivers in Sussex, Kent, Hampshire, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall, Norfolk, North and Central Wales, Lake District, Southern Uplands, Central Highlands, Northwestern Highlands, Hebrides, Shetland, Ireland, Massachusetts, Colorado, South Africa, and Tasmania. That includes all sizes of river from the Spey down to tiny hill streams.

In many places catching trout on spinner cast upstream is so easy there is a "fly only" rule - and as I said, these days I only use the spinning method if I want a couple of fresh trout to eat in the near future. If I want to have a leisurely morning's fishing for trout, I take a fly rod. Trout are so easily caught (IF they are not spooked) that it is necessary to handicap oneself either by a bag limit - or by using a more difficult method to slow up the catch rate.

Oh well, you have done it in so many places you must be right, I’m only in my 50s so there is time yet ...over to you for all the advice in future.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I was only skimming the thread when I posted my reply earlier as I was at work and only had ten minutes of lunch break left.

I totally missed the details of the rod you are planning to use.

I have to say that it's way to long and much to powerful for what you have in mind.

There's dozens of great rods out there but next time you pop into your tackle shop, see if they've gt something like a Savage Gear Bushwhacker XLNT 3-18gram 7ft 6in and give it a waggle.

As to whether you can spin for trout, it depends on your local bye laws (Check the sticky at the top of the Coarse Fishing page) and any rules imposed buy the club controlling the water.

In the Midlands, the EA byelaws say:

No person shall -

i) in fishing with rod and line for salmon in the Severn area use

any float in conjunction with any lure or bait.

ii) in fishing with rod and line for trout or any fish other than

freshwater fish during the annual close season for freshwater

fish, use any float or bait (which term includes ground bait)

other than artificial or natural fly (which term excludes

bloodworms, jokers and other midge larvae), spinners,

minnows, worms, prawns or shrimps.NB. “any fish other than freshwater fish” excludes salmon for the

purpose of this byelaw (see section 3).

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

There's dozens of great rods out there but next time you pop into your tackle shop, see if they've gt something like a Savage Gear Bushwhacker XLNT 3-18gram 7ft 6in and give it a waggle.

I have a Bushwhacker (the 8' one 10-40gm) and use it with a shimano Catana 3000 with 20lbs powerpro. I think it the most nicely balanced set up for lures and light(ish) spining that I have had. Love it.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I have a Bushwhacker (the 8' one 10-40gm) and use it with a shimano Catana 3000 with 20lbs powerpro. I think it the most nicely balanced set up for lures and light(ish) spining that I have had. Love it.

As I went all posh and got myself a G Loomis GL3 about 8 years ago (it's still going strong) I've not actually fished with a Bushwacker but they do have a hell of a reputation as a light lure rod for anglers on a budget.

The one you have was flavour of many months with the bass guys - but you need a lot more power to punch bass plugs into the wind that to flick 4g spinners about.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Can't say I've really tried trout fishing on the tidal parts, but my gut feeling from trotting down there is its probably the least productive part of the ribble for brownies. This may have a lot to do with a lot of it being slower flowing and IMO they seem to like the fast water.

I don't bother with a wire trace on the ribble as i find pike are very few and far between, but i don't spin on the slower tidal parts.

There are no rules against spinning for trout on the ribble that i know of, but i would think its a good idea to make sure you have a Salmon and migratory trout licence and not just a coarse licence as an EA bailiff might not believe you are just fishing for Brownies.

As others have said a size 2 silver Mepps scores highly for trout. Personally i would put a bit of extra weight on your line to help you cast that little spinner on a big river and maybe help stop some line twist and i wouldn't try to push the line size down to low as there is a good chance of a big sea trout, a salmon and even a few fool hooked barbel getting in on the show.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep