Spinning for trout thread

AddictedToScopex

I know my club which has a large amount of the ribble doesn't allow any bait fishing or lure/spinner fishing during the closed coarse season (fly only). I've just been on the blower with an EA officer and he informed me that rule applies to the whole river. He also stated that rule applied to the whole of the northwest.

Environment Agency North West

Area Office

Central Area Office, Lutra House, Dodd Way, Walton Summit, Bamber Bridge, Preston, Lancashire, PR5 8BX

0370 8506506*

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know my club which has a large amount of the ribble doesn't allow any bait fishing or lure/spinner fishing during the closed coarse season (fly only). I've just been on the blower with an EA officer and he informed me that rule applies to the whole river. He also stated that rule applied to the whole of the northwest.

Environment Agency North West

I've just checked. There are no such restrictions imposed nationally or regionally in the north west.

I respectfully submit that your "EA officer" is talking out of his arse.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've just checked. There are no such restrictions imposed nationally or regionally in the north west.

I respectfully submit that your "EA officer" is talking out of his arse.

He is, as I said , 'don't be bullied'...lots of theses supposed rules operate from a base of myth and concensus.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

All,

My post reads that I intended to fish the NON tidal stretch.

Sorry Rik, my fault. I should learn to read more carefully when I stay up past 10pm midweek. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Sorry Rik, my fault. I should learn to read more carefully when I stay up past 10pm midweek. :)

No worries Brian mate. :D

I have to say I am more confused than ever now :lol:

So it would seem that Ians club doesnt allow it, the ea man says no also however I cant find any writing to back it up from the EA. I will drop them a line I think to be doubly sure and ask if they can point me towards the writing that contains the legislation.

Not that I don't believe you Ian its just that I want to see it in writing from the EA so that I would have a decisive outcome either way. I wish I could remember who it was that told me I could do it all those years ago.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

So it would seem that Ians club doesnt allow it, the ea man says no also however I cant find any writing to back it up from the EA. I will drop them a line I think to be doubly sure and ask if they can point me towards the writing that contains the legislation.

Not that I don't believe you Ian its just that I want to see it in writing from the EA so that I would have a decisive outcome either way. I wish I could remember who it was that told me I could do it all those years ago.

If the no spinning rule during the closed coarse fishing season isn't actually a by-law (as the EA officer "Gary" told me it was) the problem is finding a stretch of river unaffiliated to a club. I've approached a number of club bailiffs etc and they all tell me that the clubs they know of have no spinning during the closed coarse fishing season in their rules and I believe between them these clubs cover most of the river ribble.

Rik, try ringing the EA yourself and see if you get a different answer than I did....they are hard work m8, they just keep passing you round the merry go round !

Edited by Tigger

If the no spinning rule during the closed coarse fishing season isn't actually a by-law (as the EA officer "Gary" told me it was) the problem is finding a stretch of river unaffiliated to a club. I've approached a number of club bailiffs etc and they all tell me that the clubs they know of have no spinning during the closed coarse fishing season in their rules and I believe between them these clubs cover most of the river ribble.

Rik, try ringing the EA yourself and see if you get a different answer than I did....they are hard work m8, they just keep passing you round the merry go round !

Yeah I know what you mean. I emailed them a while ago and went through 3 different people before I got an answer. They do like to pass the buck. Yeah there arent many parts of the Ribble that aren't under club control these days. Worth finding out once and for all though. Will post onto this thread if I ever get a definitive answer :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

As far as i can tell from reading the EA rules, your well within your rights to spin for brown trout on the ribble when the trout season is open, even when the coarse season isn't open. The only extra game fishing restriction i can see in the closed coarse season that i can see is "Early season method restriction for salmon with rod and line: any angler fishing for salmon may only use artificial fly or artificial lure before 16th June in any calendar year".

So not only can you spin for Brownies, you can also worm for them as well, so long as your club hasn't stopped it.

ps. If it ain't got red spots put it back. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

All,

How the 'ell do you know what you are fishing for? I couldn't pass a polygraph under the circumstance you describe. I KNOW what may - no matter how remote - take my bait.

Phone

All,

How the 'ell do you know what you are fishing for? I couldn't pass a polygraph under the circumstance you describe. I KNOW what may - no matter how remote - take my bait.

Phone

Phone

Just another example of the sometimes archaic and often confusing fishing laws we have over here. It's heartening to see that there are still anglers who will go to some length to make sure they're in the right without so much as wetting a line beforehand. Many wouldn't.

Rob.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."