A New Centrepin from OKUMA

PeterNE1

Have just seen this on Ebay, advertised by a US retailer as being a (very colourful) new variant of the Sheffield, though reading the description I'm more inclined to believe its a cross-breed between the Sheffield and the Trent ... shoukld look great with the Darth Maul outfit :D

OKUMA Sheffield DR II

This seems to be following the trend of the OKUMA RAW, released a few months back ... wonder what else is in store?

Edited by PeterNE1

All,

I don't know about the fishing reel but "HQ GERMAN BEARINGS" have been second rate (to Japan) since at least the late 1990's. Why would they advertise German bearings??

Phone

All,

I don't know about the fishing reel but "HQ GERMAN BEARINGS" have been second rate (to Japan) since at least the late 1990's. Why would they advertise German bearings??

Phone

IF it was being aimed at the UK market (and perhaps this also applies elsewhere) 'German engineering' is still perceived as being a notch above most alternatives, including the Far East ... regardless of the actual quality, most products from the Far East are still perceived as being second-rate, rather than cutting edge. 'Far East' manufacture is usually spoken of as being a cheap, budget alternative ... a typical example is rods from Hardys that are made in China ... you still pay top whack for them, but pretty much everyone is of the belief that a UK - made product (by Hardys) would be of superior quality. :rolleyes:

Can't see that it offers anything new or better than the Sheffield and for that money you could get the lighter magnesium (Bowler)version.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Can't see that it offers anything new or better than the Sheffield and for that money you could get the lighter magnesium (Bowler)version.

Think it has the star drag, much like the existing Trent? Fair comment about the Martin Bowler reel though: I've had one for some time and it's a crackin' reel ... there's one floating about on Ebay now with a Buy-It-Now of just £140, and one sold last week for less than £100!

I must admitt i'm not a lover of that reel, a different colour would make a vast improvement.

On the reel foot the okuma centrepin reels have a sticker saying made in Taiwan and yet on the boxes it says designed and engineered in Germany. I reckon most German made stuff blows the socks of other countries goods.

PeterNE,

Probably right. They've lost their luster over here.

Tigger,

"designed and engineered in Germany" - - - a bearing? The ball kind or the needle point kind? Only if they use modern Asian metalurgy. The Far East fella's have to perform, they don't have a reputation to fall back on. As for reel aesthetics - I'll go with the French (although they've designed some REALLY ugly reels - they're up for a risk. I.E. both the fixed spool spinning reels and Abu Garcia style baitcasters were [probably] French). I'd bet the very TOP hand-made reel makers in the UK use Asian tools and technology nowdays. Not saying it is good - just saying.

Phone

must admit I'm not that keen on it either, OKUMA arent doing themselves any favours with their last 2 reels.

last two ??? everything that followed the sheffield surley .trent (colour could of been better ,a pointless slipping clutch drag [err thats what thumbs are for] ,The kennet (stupid fixed line guard ,and the change to shiny blingy silver colour just wrong ) and the fugley raw II ,well its just plain effin ugly !FACT! (<<< this fact was brought to you purley for the benifit of Elton , Fact! :D ) ,and now this attempt to copy the holland & wilkinson ,sheffield copy ,if it was all red and didn't have the star drag wheel and cut the price accordingly too that of the sheffield ,i'd have one ,i likes a nice red reel and think it'd look great ,just red .

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve