A New Centrepin from OKUMA

PeterNE1

Ive owned/still own most of the top end pins and allthough I can apreciate the engineering and quality they have never fished or produced fish any better than the old Aventa so I to would agree there Brian. Jeeze we sound like were sponcered buy bloomin Okuma! and I dont even own one!

I dont mind and can apreciate that we all have different prefferences and likes (both practical and even purely asthetic) but do get the hump when Im told how much better for actually fishing with/catching fish an item is when its really just that personal prefference! If you get what I mean :P

OK lets give Okuma pins a kick then. None of their pins are very asthetically pleasing and the best value one IMO (the Aventa) would have to be the last one on the shelf for me to pick it if it was about good looks. I would take most spoked, bespoked, a few none spoked and maybe any spokin thing else first. :)

Thankfully for my wallet the most aesthetically pleasing thing about fishing with a pin is watching the float go under.

ps. I heard Tigger sold his Ferrai to buy more pins. :P:)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Many debates in this section of the forum revolve around differing points of view, as you would expect, but there are a number of posters (senior, in terms of posts) who insist on making their point in a sarcastic and derogatory manner. A recent thread - started by a newbie - attracted several such posts, before descending into farce.

Hardly attractive to new blood, is it?

I hope Ive never been seen as guilty of that Rob?

I see what you are saying though and have often felt it may be a reason AN doesnt get much new blood.The hardcore long term regulars may come across as a bit off putting for a number of reasons.One is that we all now "know" each other and as such know each others veiws and personalities (so we in general dont fall into the classic internet problem of missunderstanding attempts at micky taking/fun/humour due to the lack of body language/expression on face etc) this "knowing" can make us look at bit "cliquey" though I suppose.Other problems with having a centeral core is that many dont want to challenge our veiws for fear of been dissmised as tjhe "new boy" lastly many sit back without attempting to answer others questions because its "expected" the hardcore regulars will.This last issue is indeed one of the main reasons why I no longer post as rtegularly.

ps. I heard Tigger sold his Ferrai to buy more pins. :P:)

Both of them I heard! ;)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I hope Ive never been seen as guilty of that Rob?

No, mate. Just nicking a quote from your post .

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Both of them I heard! ;)

I could have done with one one time when I was following Brian down some country lanes to the river :o .....drives like he's in a F1....and that was in a small van !!

I have a similar view to Chavender in that the drag on spoked centrepins is pretty superfluous. I only use these reels for trotting a float (there are better tools for everything else IMO) and I have tried using the drag but I found that the correct setting at the start of the trot was no good when the float was someway downstream. The extra line in the water and the current acting upon it would speed up the reel so I’d have to apply the thumb…..I may as well have not bothered setting the drag in the first place. I have used it when I was learning to Wallis cast and it did help prevent overruns but once the float was in the water backing it off was a real pain, by the time I’d stopped the reel and done it the float was completely in the wrong place.

I don’t fully understand the ‘one way’ system of the Okuma Trent but it seems to be trying to solve a problem that my thumb and/or the reels ratchet can deal with. JV44’s got one and I’m sure it didn’t run as freely as my Sheffield, almost as if the drag couldn’t be backed off completely. I stand to be corrected on that but either way in the context of my ‘pin use it doesn’t have a place. I’ve since sold the Sheffield which was a big mistake.

I'm sure this topic has come up before, did we reach a conclusion?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Ive owned/still own most of the top end pins and allthough I can apreciate the engineering and quality they have never fished or produced fish any better than the old Aventa so I to would agree there Brian. Jeeze we sound like were sponcered buy bloomin Okuma! and I dont even own one!

I dont mind and can apreciate that we all have different prefferences and likes (both practical and even purely asthetic) but do get the hump when Im told how much better for actually fishing with/catching fish an item is when its really just that personal prefference! If you get what I mean :P

I can appreciate both points. For sheer value for money the Aventa Pro takes some beating. You get all the quality of a Sheffield at half price. On your other point I get more peed off by people making statements about tackle that they cannot or will not evidence when asked to. An opinion that you disagree with is one thing. A statement of fact that you know is incorrect is another thing altogether. Unfortunately the subject of centrepins seems to attract a certain snobbery when as you rightly; say, the top end pins don't actually offer any measurable improvement in your fishing over a mid-range model. It's noticible how many Brownings and the like keep popping up on eBay described as 'Unused'. I think that says it all.

Regards, Clive

I have a similar view to Chavender in that the drag on spoked centrepins is pretty superfluous. I only use these reels for trotting a float (there are better tools for everything else IMO) and I have tried using the drag but I found that the correct setting at the start of the trot was no good when the float was someway downstream. The extra line in the water and the current acting upon it would speed up the reel so I’d have to apply the thumb…..I may as well have not bothered setting the drag in the first place. I have used it when I was learning to Wallis cast and it did help prevent overruns but once the float was in the water backing it off was a real pain, by the time I’d stopped the reel and done it the float was completely in the wrong place.

I don’t fully understand the ‘one way’ system of the Okuma Trent but it seems to be trying to solve a problem that my thumb and/or the reels ratchet can deal with. JV44’s got one and I’m sure it didn’t run as freely as my Sheffield, almost as if the drag couldn’t be backed off completely. I stand to be corrected on that but either way in the context of my ‘pin use it doesn’t have a place. I’ve since sold the Sheffield which was a big mistake.

I'm sure this topic has come up before, did we reach a conclusion?

Rusty,

You have hit on the reason why I asked Tigger and Chavender as to why they accept conventional drags on the Aerial type yet seem to think that a more useful type of drag is somehow unacceptable, i.e that the drag that we have seen on Aerials for sixty years or more does not actually work when trotting for the reason you gave. You still have to use your thumb as the float progresses down the swim. The Trent has a different system that does not work any less well for trotting but actually does work better for other types of fishing. I find that strange along with the abhoration of the star drag (as found on multiplier reels for nearly 100 years) that is far more easy to adjust in use or otherwise than the conventional screw thread and knurled nut we see on the Aerial types.

I can accept that if you only use a pin for trotting then the benefit of a Trent does not apply to your circumstances. Some of us however use pins for other types of fishing and that is where the Trent really is different to other centrepin types. I'll give you two examples; Drift fishing for flatties or bass from a kayak - drop the bait down in free spool using your thumb as a brake, turn on the drag and you don't have to hold the spool to hold the weight yet when winding up you are effectively in free spool as it is a one way drag.

Secondly, the drag on the Trent can be set to stop line going out when ledgering in a river or float fishing a livebait for example, as can a conventional Aerial, but if you set the drag on an Aerial, you have to wind against it, whereas on the Trent you don't as it only acts one-way like a fly reel or multiplier. I have several conventional Aerials (Match Aerial, Youngs Purist, Trudex, etc) and there are none that would allow me to ledger in a decent flow with just the ratchet alone. They would need some drag applying too and that also applies to the re-wind (or having your thumb constantly on the spool which is not ideal for all circumstances).

The drag on the Trent can be switched off altogether using the knurled nut on the back, and in this mode runs just as smoothly and for as long as a Sheffield.

Regards, Clive

All,

I'm intrigued. Does anyone have this older version of the reel in question? According to the manufacturer's press release the drag is the ONLY difference.

Sheffield Sirata Drag-Centerpin Reel

Nicpix

I "get" what you are saying. I've never owned a Range Rover but I have an opinion. If what you say made any sense we would all own a 1992 Ford Focus for transportation. The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. Chill man - you're all wet on this one.

By the same token - I doubt if the fish even know how you dispense, gather or store your line. Uppity does get annoying but uppity is always - always a sucker for a quick hook set. They never learn. It's just that you don't need to try to rip their heads off when setting the hook. That's reserved for carp. (ohh, and in my experience, they are usually right)

Phone

...Some of us however use pins for other types of fishing and that is where the Trent really is different to other centrepin types....

Yes I can see that now it's been explained, thank you.

I have recently experienced circumstances where I’ve pressed the pin into ledgering service having started out on a trotting day with no backup FS reel in the bag, I just about managed it but the numerous practice casts of a 2oz lead weren’t pretty so I think I’ll need to stick to my comfort zone.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I could have done with one one time when I was following Brian down some country lanes to the river :o .....drives like he's in a F1....and that was in a small van !!

Was that you up my tailpipe Ian? From the way they were driving I thought it was a mad man trying to get to the best peg first. Silly me. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep