A New Centrepin from OKUMA

PeterNE1

I know lots of retailers were selling the trent off cheap (I presume because we didn't fancy a pin with a big star drag built into it), have you bought a big box full of them Nicepix?

Maybe they wont send so many of them over here this time.

I've only got two and I'm keeping them ;)

I believe that the main reason that they didn't sell first time around was because of the negative comments posted by people who made assumptions without actually trying the reel themselves. Unfortunately the Internet is full of self-proclaimed experts with opinions but no experience. If you do a Google search on the Trent you will find the same old rubbish regurgitated over and over again, i.e; can't put your finger through the spool to retrieve or alternatively; you'll cut your finger off when you try to adjust the drag. Well, I've still got all my fingers and I do sometimes retrieve by putting one of them through the spokes. Some have suggested that the perforated back plate will let in grit yet forget that the bearings are sealed. I've had mine in sand, gravel and saltwater, banged it against granite and it has always run as new. I've used it as a light boat reel off the kayak, cast 2 ounce ledgers, trotted a float, margin fished for carp and had it rigged as a bait runner.

Forget the rubbish posted by those who haven't used one. Try one in the shop.

Regards, Clive

I've only got two and I'm keeping them ;)

I believe that the main reason that they didn't sell first time around was because of the negative comments posted by people who made assumptions without actually trying the reel themselves. Unfortunately the Internet is full of self-proclaimed experts with opinions but no experience. If you do a Google search on the Trent you will find the same old rubbish regurgitated over and over again, i.e; can't put your finger through the spool to retrieve or alternatively; you'll cut your finger off when you try to adjust the drag. Well, I've still got all my fingers and I do sometimes retrieve by putting one of them through the spokes. Some have suggested that the perforated back plate will let in grit yet forget that the bearings are sealed. I've had mine in sand, gravel and saltwater, banged it against granite and it has always run as new. I've used it as a light boat reel off the kayak, cast 2 ounce ledgers, trotted a float, margin fished for carp and had it rigged as a bait runner.

Forget the rubbish posted by those who haven't used one. Try one in the shop.

No I can't agree Nicepix. IMO a pin is the second best tool for any job i can think of other than trotting a float. If the best reason to buy a Trent is because you can rig it as a baitrunner, no wonder they didn't sell well before they drop the price. Even if it came with a built in bite alarm and a bobbin i wouldn't rush out to buy one.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Slightly missing the point Lutra. You can trot with this reel free running just as you would with a Sheffield, or apply a slight drag if you required it as you can with an Aerial type.

But, if you also wanted to use a pin to ledger and many do, then you can adjust the drag accordingly without it affecting the retrieve. In other words, you get a good trotting centrepin that you can also use for other types of fishing. It is not an either / or choice. You can have your cake and eat it.

Regards, Clive

Even if it came with a built in bite alarm and a bobbin i wouldn't rush out to buy one.

Neither would I Brian !

I might consider one if it was a free sample......but I wouldn't use that awful ugly star drag :lol: I'd much prefer any of my other okumas. I think for sheer value the aventa pro's are the king of the okuma pin range.

No not really Nicepix, its just Shittyshittybangbang comes to mind. :)

Edited by lutra

Neither would I Brian !

I might consider one if it was a free sample......but I wouldn't use that awful ugly star drag :lol: I'd much prefer any of my other okumas. I think for sheer value the aventa pro's are the king of the okuma pin range.

Yup about sums it up for me.Just cant see that any of the others in the range offer anything more for the extra dough!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think for sheer value the aventa pro's are the king of the okuma pin range.

If i was on a tight bugget it would be the only pin i would look at in any range. Especailly if you can get them for £50. :)

If i was on a tight bugget it would be the only pin i would look at in any range. Especailly if you can get them for £50. :)

Ive owned/still own most of the top end pins and allthough I can apreciate the engineering and quality they have never fished or produced fish any better than the old Aventa so I to would agree there Brian. Jeeze we sound like were sponcered buy bloomin Okuma! and I dont even own one!

I dont mind and can apreciate that we all have different prefferences and likes (both practical and even purely asthetic) but do get the hump when Im told how much better for actually fishing with/catching fish an item is when its really just that personal prefference! If you get what I mean :P

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ive owned/still own most of the top end pins and allthough I can apreciate the engineering and quality they have never fished or produced fish any better than the old Aventa so I to would agree there Brian. Jeeze we sound like were sponcered buy bloomin Okuma! and I dont even own one!

I dont mind and can apreciate that we all have different prefferences and likes (both practical and even purely asthetic) but do get the hump when Im told how much better for actually fishing with/catching fish an item is when its really just that personal prefference! If you get what I mean :P

Your right budgie you don't really catch any more fish with a bespoke pin but it does feel great to own and use one. I just get pleasure out of using the likes of Chris lythes etc and getting a bit of pleasure is what it's all about surely :).

I suppose you could say the same a bout alot of material things ...cars come straight to mind, mines an average Joe old astra estate that gets me where I want to go but it would be nice to drive a flash motor, I just can't afford one :huh: .

Many debates in this section of the forum revolve around differing points of view, as you would expect, but there are a number of posters (senior, in terms of posts) who insist on making their point in a sarcastic and derogatory manner. A recent thread - started by a newbie - attracted several such posts, before descending into farce.

Hardly attractive to new blood, is it?

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."