A New Centrepin from OKUMA

PeterNE1

when scientist and archaeologist first went too study the tombs and pyramids of egypt ,one stood there and proclaimed "look at all that sand" then a voice chipted up from the back of the group "i see no sand ,just tiny weny iddy biddy rocks & stuff " everyone turned around tuted and said to thenselfs "blooming geologists" ,theres beauty in everything we see if we just look hard enough ,ant to think "sand" is really just old ancesters and dynosaurs (fossells) and old rocks ground up real small ,sand is different on every beach ,or desert around the world ,i know because i saw it on C.S.I once

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

i've been asked why i don't say something about your comments ,especially the personal digs ,so i'll keep it simple as i can ,i respect this forums users and the people who run it ,and so to avoid letting this thread desend into a childish squabble with you ,i walked away from it ,but you keep having little digs so i've relented and ,well this is my last comments on this subject with you

i buy reel i might like too use ,not all pass the grade ,i don't buy reels because they have drags or not ,it makes no difference to me if the reel comes fitted with a drag thats upto the maker ,unless i was too order a bespoke built reel ,then i would specifiy no drag ,as i've no use for one ,and in fact have brought centrepins partly because they don't have drags ,my two fred crouch aerial's don't have drags ,my speedia has no drag ,my shadowlandia has no drag ,my Rolls royce built 5" stanton has no drag or ratchet for that matter and i've owned on & off since 2000 & have used it exclusivaly for 5 years fishing for everything from barbel (upto 9lbs 4oz) too gudgeon (to nearly 5oz) never needed a drag ,and that includes wier pools and flood conditions on the trent .all caught and play with the only use of a clothing peg to hold the spool still againgst the flow ,if it had a ratchet fitted then that would of performed that job ,and if that wasn't strong enough i would simply of fitted a stronger spring. i'f caught carp into high doubles on still waters didn't need a drag ,i used my thumb or if that wasn't suficiant enough i'd add extra force with the palm of my spare hand .

as i've said i leave any drags fitted by the manufactorers locked off ,i have no control over what manufacterers fit too their reels

i've never told any one NOT to buy any reel fitted with a drag ,just gave my opinion has this perticular reel " The trent" as too why I beleave its a poorly designed drag adjuster .i've never said that a trent is a bad reel .in fact i've never slagged any okuma centrepin off as bad reel ,i often express a opinion on their design ,as a few of them have features I don't like ,like the Kennet with its nasty fixed line guard (they should of simply fitted a removable one) where before you say i've not used one ,bare in mind i owned mine for three years ,and disliked the lineguard so much i cut it off ,i did however fit a removable replacement when i sold it on ,as the next owner might like line guards

you like too make vailed inferances as too me having even used one ,well if i really really had to i could get the guy who i borrowed it off too proof the fact ,as i'm sure he has pictures of me using it .i would just need too nip over too fly & fish forum and get him too sign up here .

i can also back up my opinion with the fact i've had plenty of experiance using okuma centrepins to judge weather the trent is a good design or not ,i've owned let see 4 okuma aventa pro's ,2½ sheffields (which i prefered too the aventa pro's just because of the design of the fasia with finger sized recesses in the fasia ) i as said earlier owned a kennet ,none of which has been bad reels and i've stated many times that i'd have one in preference too a youngs aerial .

you also seem too be obsessed by me owning a browning revolver ,which by the way i paid £86 for ,i did flirt with have a pair and did pay £250 for the second one ,which again was cheap compared too the prices they fetch on e-bay ,in fact i sold that one on as i didn't really need it .and this may come as a shock too you but i don't collect centrepins ,i may accumulate a few ,as i have different needs so i have reels too cover each need ,and no they're not all expensive reel either (something else you appear too be obsessed by the value of my reels ) the most expensive reel i own is a 1930's allcocks 7950-t10 it cost me £280 or so off e-bay (they again sell for around £400 usually) the rest of my reels cost less than £200 ,still cheaper than a youngs centrepin .my Anglers net pin cost a little over the price of the standard retailed ones as it did have the option of a bespoke colour as did other members of AN .because it was a forum thing .my fred crouch true trotters was quite expensive the little red limited edition one was £165 which i purchased through BFW at the time ,as it was just what i was looking for ,for fishing small rivers with but still cheaper than the equivellent sized youngs aerial ,brought a second fred crouch true trotter this year (partly because they have no drag) that was i beleave £135 or £145 (i'd have too check too be sure ,a excellent reel for a very reasonable price ,the rest of my centrepins cost less than £50 each ,one even cost just £1 ,i'm affraid I'm rather too tight too spend hundreds and hundreds on centrepins ,i tend to buy well and a bit of a sucker for a bargin.

you also make vailled inferances too being a pin snob ,i'm sorry but that dont wash either ,as half my reels are quite shabby and i don't pick them because of their badges or brandname's ,as i have every price range of centrepins in odd coloures as well like red or brown so its not a fashion thing either ,yes some are considered by some too be superior to the budget ones i own by some but too me they do a job wether its trotting with my browning or ledgering with my shadowladia (which cost me the sumly cost of £1 from a charity auction ,and brought because it had a design feature i might have a use for ,it has a anti-reverse ratchet ) its fitted with cheap nasty parts but i'll be giving it a try (as i did the trent) as you cant knock it ,untill you try it .i also owned until recently a dragoncarp marco contessi (i put it in a charity auction ,as its a good little reel but i didn't have a use for it) great little reel for its price only negative about them is the build quality sometimes

i'm not precious about my pins ,they get chucked in mud ,sand whatever and if someone want to have a go with one ,then they can ,i may be a bit nervious with lending my browning but only because its my favourite one .and anyone who has met me will tell you i'm not snobish about pins .

i've used other reels with drags ,the G&Y avon royal supreame has a very nice drag ,non intrusive and easy to adjust ,just of little use too me .i've used alcock stantons with drags and a old reel called a centrebrake both adjustable on the centre screw ,again i found no reel benifit too either.

i might know more than most about centrepins ,but still learning and i have never nor would ever proclaim too be a expert ,a nerd maybe but not a expert ,i find them fascinating and their history intresting as i do with most things angling ,(dont even get me started on star trek or starwars or motor cars & F1 ,computers ,Tv's or cake) i'm just ocd like that ,if it intrests me i learn all i can to better understand it .just don't ever ask me about football as it barely registers on the scale of things i like.

you asked previously why i don't like drags or think them necessary on centrepins in general (to which I gave my opinon ) but was a little vague in the scope of your question ,you later tried too twist things by saying you asked in perticulary in ralation to ledgering and the use of a drag on centrepins ,if you was a little more specific I would of elaberated more in respect too ledgering and asnswer to my best your question you was so insistant on .

if you needed to hold bottom against the flow ,your ratchet should be suficiant ,if not then get a stronger spring OR buy a centrepin with a anti-reverse ratchet fitted ,one of the main features of centrepins is the lack of gears and its ability to let line flow from the spool freely .and with reels like the trent if you tighten up the drag too the point where it wont release line against the flow of the river ,you run the risk of a bolting fish breaking off as the line suddenly pulls against a reel thats set not too give line (also the reason i got a shadowlandia so i can see this in situ for my solf so i can build a imformed opinion on its usefullnerss ,i think not but time will tell ) ,might only be a small risk but its there. personally if the flow was that much of a problem i'd either get a stronger ratchet spring or just ledger upstream if possible there by reducing the pressure on the ratchet .or alternativly just use one of my many baitrunners

i'm affraid that just because someones opinion differs from yours ,your not entitled too make slanderous remarks by direct referance or by indirect inferred remarks all writen on a open forum (and yes i know the lible laws concerning things writen in the public domain ,as i am a moderator on another forum & you need too know these things) to which i'm not bothered about ,nor am i bothered wether you like my opinions or not ,i did try to just walk away rather than be dragged into a petty squrobble over over something as insignificant as my opinion on drags on centrepins i mean its not as if we was discussing religion or politics or god forbid football .My opinion is just that a opinion ,not sacrosanct & not always right and never forced onto others.

i'm going back too ignoring your posts

you bring too mind this

someone-with-a-different-opinion.gif

just grow up ,accept not everyone has the same opinion as you ,and its not gentlemanly behavior too try and force your opinion above all others ,like a little schoolboy bully who shouts over others talking too make everyone listen to him ,and his opinion and everyone else is wrong or to force them out.

with that i bid you bye bye.

Good greif!!

All that fuss about a centrpin,or two, or three.

Just had to use the quote button just in case anyone missed it :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

i feel i must appologise for that previous post ,after reading it back it occured too me ,i really should use the spell ckeher more

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Got me in one Budgie :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Looking at one of these are they any good :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some folk need to lighten up, Its certainly made me laugh reading this topic that's for sure.

OKUMA%20TRENT_B.JPG

How the hell could you even consider using a blue reel. Everyone knows centrepins should be black or gunmetal grey!!

;)

Mat

Mat