Dear believer

robtherake

I noticed this on YouTube while watching the Mars lander video. Worth a view.

Dear believer

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rob,

While I don't care to engage the forum in the issue - - - I have to say that is a really cool video.

Sportsman,

Don't you think he makes as many "assumptions" as I might?

Phonw

rob,

While I don't care to engage the forum in the issue - - - I have to say that is a really cool video.

Sportsman,

Don't you think he makes as many "assumptions" as I might?

Phonw

He assumes that followers of a particular religion think that they have it right and by definition followers of other religions have it wrong.

Seems a pretty safe assumption to me otherwise why follow a particular religion?

I was wondering, just to be on the safe side so to speak, whether I could be a member of all of the major religions. Just to cover my bets. When you get into your sixties you start to think that way ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

That one has been around for a little while and is very good.

Not massively strident, not focused on undermining the apologetics of any particular faith and all the better for it.

It almost has something of the feel of the late, great Carl Sagan.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Seems a pretty safe assumption to me otherwise why follow a particular religion?

They have better festival food? ;)

I'm sure there are plenty of people who are regulars at Church/Mosque/Synagogue/Temple but who are not really "believers" in the sense that while they may say they believe when asked, they do not exhibit any religious faith in their everyday lives and have never really given the question any deep thought. Just participation in social and cultural ritual.

It's good and stored away in my 'favourites'. Nothing much there that Dawkinbs hasn't already said, but it's as wel to have someone other than him saying it. I especially like (and Dawkins proposes this too) the notion that there is no such thing as a christian child (nor muslem, jew etc) but only children with parents who adhere to a particular religion. Forcing that religion upon them is child abuse.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

He assumes that followers of a particular religion think that they have it right and by definition followers of other religions have it wrong.

I was wondering, just to be on the safe side so to speak, whether I could be a member of all of the major religions. Just to cover my bets. When you get into your sixties you start to think that way ;)

I went fishing with my two lads this afternoon. The journey took about an hour, and our chat on the way led to me giving them a synopsis of this video.

Now my eldest (24), who is not the sharpest tool in the box, academically, came unbidden to the conclusion that most followers of religion do so because they see it as a free pass to the next life, and also that that belief gives them the strength to accept death, sure in the knowledge that there's something to look forward to other than oblivion.

I gave him top marks for that, knowing how thick he can be sometimes (although his practical abilities are quite something to behold!).

I have to agree with him: this seems to be the whole point of faith for a large proportion of believers.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Sportsman,

The older I get the less judgmental I have become. I see no reason you couldn't do that - "cover your bets" Dictionary.com says faith is simply "trust or belief without proof". That's simple enough.

Emma two,

Child abuse? Really?? Then again, I guess we force mothers milk on them so why not?

Phone

Sportsman,

Emma two,

Child abuse? Really?? Then again, I guess we force mothers milk on them so why not?

Phone

Yes really ‘child abuse’, and It thankfully is a notion which is increasaingly being considered.

'What shall we tell the children?' started as a lecture in by Nicholas Humphrey (a distinguished psychologist) aid on how religions abuse the minds of children, and was well received enough to reissued as a chapter of his book, The Mind Made Flesh, Oxford University Press. Humphrey is sure that, in the same way as Amnesty works to free political prisoners around the world, we should work to free the children of the world from the religions which, significantly often with parental approval, damage minds too young to understand what is happening to them.

In our culture children are threatened to the point of being terrified with extreme violence of a supernatural kind for failing to comply with and embrace the christianity.

There are lots of references of those from the school of thought which considers religion enforced upon children as abuse...

Here is one of the more high profile exponents of that

Have a look at...

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"