in the eye!

me

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Plumb:

An oft repeated story (it appears in the Paxman anthology Fish, Fishing and the Meaning of Life for example) is told by the Victorian angler and writer H. Cholmondeley-Pennell (great name for a Victorian don't you think?? )

Anyways - one day fishing lake Windermere he accidently hooked a perch in the eye - and the eye remained on the hook after it was extracted from the poor fish. The maimed fish was returned to the water and, being rather short of bait H C-P continued to fish using the eye as bait. Well you can guess what happen next - but to quote Mr H C-P ..."The float disappeared almost instantly; and on landing the newcomer, it turned out to be the fish I had moments before thrown in, and which had thus been actually caught by HIS OWN EYE." Fishing Gossip 1866

I've actually witnessed a similar incident myself. It happened to a friend of mine on South Norwood Park Lake in the sities.

I'm going to include the story in the perch book I'm currently writing. However, I didn't remember where the original story came from, so thanks Chris!

BTW, this is one in the eye for the anti-angling brigade! The perch certainly couldn't have been in much pain!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

[[/qb]

I've actually witnessed a similar incident myself. It happened to a friend of mine on South Norwood Park Lake in the sities.

[/QB]

Where exactly is the Sities, Steve ? :P

Joking aside it does add weight to the fish / pain theory

I believe Perch have a similar anatomy as eels, with vital organs just behind the throat.

Caught 2 eels on holiday and couldnt get the hook out, it wouldnt open its mouth, no way! So had to cut the line and felt bad about this for weeks. I feel better now I know that it happens all the time with them and that the hook with rot away, you learn something everyday on here :D

Tight lines

Jean

Many years ago they were doing shark research in either the USA or RSA and actualy gutted the fish and returned it to the water. they found that with almost no exception the - now dying - shark would violently attack and eat it's own innards.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription