I am going to shoot a fox tonight!

Dave H

All,

I read the file above. I doubt anyone else will bother.

Perhaps I should briefly state my personal position. It is like singing or writing in rhyme or climbing a mountain. It is primarily for one and the same reason—the thrill to beauty. For those who want to discuss the primal metaphysics I suppose everyone somewhere wants to be a strong and skillful hunter able to care for themselves and their family.

I think the killing part is inate. Not to kill is a learned skill.

Phone

did ya shoot it then?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Simple fact is that the British countryside would be barely recognisable five or ten years after a shooting ban.

The copices, the hedgerows, the fallow fields and a broad swathe of the wildlife that we see regularly would simply disapear.

This is true, also consider the impact on natural and synthetic animal populations.

Synthetic being game breed and released to hunt/shoot which also make easy prey for predators.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I dont have a problem killing certain animals.

Mixey rabbits, birds with broken wings and Rats/mice.

Dont have a problem with hunters, its their choice.

Hunting/shooting also acts as a buffer for angling in my opinion.

Wise sentiments, personally I don't have a problem with hunting any animal as long as it is not endangered, certain animals that are hunted in Africa are controled by culling anyway and allowing hunters to pay a premium to do this helps fund game warden schemes.

synthetic pheasants and partridges are certainly not "easy" prey for predators if they are reared and released correctly. the only "easy" part of the equation would be the unnatural saturation of bird population rather than any perceived lack of instinct in the birds.

plus such an argument needs to be weighed against the healthy feeding of the native species that goes hand in hand with good keeping of the "prey" species. Feed for pheasants and suchlike allows for an extremely healthy population of woodland and hedgerow birds to benefit as well; so the entire eco system; though impacted by synthetic populations, also greatly helps the native species with food and with enviroment

so the entire eco system; though impacted by synthetic populations, also greatly helps the native species with food and with enviroment

It's not doing very much for Hen Harriers.

Virtually extinct now in England due to the actions of gamekeepers on moorland estates.

The RSPB suggests that there is enough habitat in England for 300 pairs: just two pairs attempted nesting last year, both nests failed.

In 2007 there were 15 nesting pairs in England. That was the same year in which Mr Harry Windsor and his mate shot two at Sandringham.

Would that be on this occasion?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1568966/Dirty-tricks-claim-in-Harry-shooting.html

I would also be interested in any proof that you can provide regarding game keepers shooting hen harriers

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Would that be on this occasion?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1568966/Dirty-tricks-claim-in-Harry-shooting.html

I would also be interested in any proof that you can provide regarding game keepers shooting hen harriers

Dirty tricks claim? Hardly surprising that the Telegraph would come up with a whitewash for the Royal family. The facts remain the same, those two Hen Harriers were shot out of the sky as they were being watched through binoculars, not diving on food at the same time as some shots were fired as the Telegraph suggests.

I didn't say that gamekeepers shoot Hen Harriers. Do you know something you're not telling?

The English moorlands ( the Bowland area in particular) are a very different kettle of fish from the Scottish estates that you may be familiar with.