Photo Of The Day.

Guest Ferret1959

OI OI

ROLL ON SUMMER. THIS IS WHAT WE WANT.

Edited by merlino bill

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Judy, love the Sheffield pics, all three would've made good entries in the architecture comp.

Ayjay, the lighting effect on your accidental moon shot is OK - but the one you've entered in the comp is outstanding! :clap3: I really really would like to learn how to take decent moon shots (minus the scope though, I'm spending enough on camera gear without forking out for a scope aswell). Have you got any tips re the best conditions/settings etc?

No pics today for me, but I did get this guy yesterday.

57029287.robin_0903b.jpg

Great shot Rabster :thumbs: you get some great bird shots but sometimes i wish i had an opportunity around my area to catch some!! living close to the sea all i seem to get around my way are seagulls and a pigeon or two!! :(

Have to agree with you on your last post about the moon pics and the Sheffield pics!! top job done by both Judy and Ayjay on them! also wish i could be better at moon pics......but unfortunately not sure its possible with just my camera and no scope or extra lens.

Oh well keep the pics coming peeps........... love em :D

You can view my photo album @.... olliejays photo album

Jan - Touché :cc_surrender::lol:

Ollie

i wish i had an opportunity around my area to catch some!! living close to the sea all i seem to get around my way are seagulls and a pigeon or two!!

Where are you at mate? I'm in Blackpool & it's a birding mecca - & I don't mean the slappers on the Golden Mile.

Lovely sharp pic Rabster, great depth of field too. Can I ask what lenses you use to get so close to them?

Judy's pics just get better and better, WTG Judy!

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

: I really really would like to learn how to take decent moon shots (minus the scope though, I'm spending enough on camera gear without forking out for a scope aswell). Have you got any tips re the best conditions/settings etc?

It's very much trial and error rabster, I've only had a couple of attempts. The first time was with a virtually full moon which seemed easier to get the exposure right.

The one I took for the comp was much harder to get right, there was a lot more reflected light coming off the moon thaan the first time, whether that's because it's not full or if it's something to do with the time of year and angles of the sun etc. I'm not sure. Binoculars can also be used instead of a telescope, it's harder to marry the two together and the magnification is not so high but it can be done.

It's worth taking a look at the moon through bins anyway, the difference between that and looking with the naked eye is quite surprising.

I've not found a very long exposure is necessary, I'm sure the first one I did was only 1/8 of a second and the comp entry is 1/13. A tripod of some sort is very useful but bean bags or something similar can offer a cheap substitute.

Any sort of long exposure is obviously prone to camera movement and even more so when using a long lens, a cable release can help to prevent involuntary movement, but again a good substitute is using the cameras self timer.

Your bird pics are making me jealous, I just don't get enough time.

John

have you got any more examples of digiscoping you are going to post?

Tony

I've put a fair few on here in the past Tony, mainly in non-fishing before we had the photo section,it's been very difficult getting pics this winter, it always seems to have been either blowing a gale or really gloomy.

Neither of these conditions is any use for digiscoping, the wind has a big effect on the quality of the shot unless you have really good light for fast shutter speeds, poor light is just as bad because of the huge loss of light (compard to a standard camera lens) through a scope.

It doesn't get any easier in summer because of heat haze and any other atmospheric pollution; you have to remember that although the magnification of a scope through a camera is a wonderful idea in theory, in practice using it for a camera lens merely magnifies all the problems.

Here's a couple of my efforts from this winter, neither of them are really good but just about acceptable.

kestrel1f9rb.jpg

crop14qh.jpg

......and one from my garden

gscutfiltered6yw.jpg

wow ayjay you've captured some really great photos there fella... I especially like that last one, tho if you don't mind me saying they'd probably benefit from a one click 'auto levels' adjustment in the old digital darkroom just to give em that bit of pizazz.. :)

:clap2: