Eating Perch...or any other prized species.

Andy Macfarlane

Although in total disagreement with the public promotion of taking coarse fish as food I can appreciate that this has been a rather successful topic, 3200 views inside 5 days.

I am still convinced that there are a silent majority that disagree with the subject, for a start just think of all the regulars that have not contributed. Why?

How about setting up one of those polls and putting my theory to the test. Anyone know how to do it?

Can non members vote in a poll?

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although in total disagreement with the public promotion of taking coarse fish as food I can appreciate that this has been a rather successful topic, 3200 views inside 5 days.

I am still convinced that there are a silent majority that disagree with the subject, for a start just think of all the regulars that have not contributed. Why?

How about setting up one of those polls and putting my theory to the test. Anyone know how to do it?

Can non members vote in a poll?

Josh has already started one.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest rabbit
I simply stated that I "sometimes eat the odd Perch". That doesn't mean that I have, in your words,

"the taste for a McPerch". That insinuates that I make a habit of eating McPerch. I don't make a habit of eating fish, never mind McPerch.

You can do your best, to goad me into retorting with an equally pathetic poke at your nationality but I've already made my opinion on such nonsense, perfectly clear. Everyone on the forum, myself and Bob included, understood that had it continued, the thread would have ended up locked, with no discussion at all. Carry on at will but I won't be responsible for closing the thread.

Explain how my mind was made up on the issue? If my opinion on the matter was set in stone, I wouldn't have asked,

"Would someone care to explain to me, what the problem is?".

I was more than open to suggestion and I'd have been willing to stop eating the odd McPerch, had anyone put forward a strong enough argument to do so. In fact, there's always the potential for that to happen yet.

What is this nonsense about me wanting to fight anyone who disagreed with me? I had a 5 post, off-topic argument with Bob, which was resolved, without any fighting whatsoever and that was my last post, until the 14th page. The next disagreement I had, was with you, on the 15th page. In fact, I've made 12 posts, including this one. I'm hardly the pugilist you claim I am.

Bizarrely, you ask why the thread wasn't nipped in the bud and then you answer your own question by stating that this was a "Top topic". If you don't know what you mean, how can anyone else??

Andy chill out please, you may have an issue with me but I don't with you, my comments were all ''tongue in cheek'' and I am sorry you did not see that. BTW the Mc Perch was a reference Mac Donalds, I omitted the 'a' in Mac in error. Also I have never considered you a pugilist, anyway I thought you were Scottish.

Edited by rabbit

I don't have an issue with anyone....and yes, I am Scottish.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

That would be very immature Sam, this has been a good debate, held in a mostly reasonable & mature manner. It would be a shame to resort to such a tactic. :(

Sorry had to answer this one! Immature? in what way? I just think that the general angling population in the UK would be very interested in the topic, and amazed at the direction inwhich it has gone!

It has been an interesting topic and mostly fairly friendly!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Does anyone using this forum eat hedgehogs or squirrels?

No longer eat hedgehogs - last one must've been 25 years ago - but I regularly eat and thoroughly enjoy brer squirrel. Top scoff.

For the record, in my feral, free range youth, I think I've eaten most edible (and plenty of decidedly revolting) fish, birds and mammals found in the UK, and perch are seriously tasty, as are zander. Would I eat a perch these days? No. They are too precious to treat as snacks and I know better now.

Just saying, like. ;)

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

No longer eat hedgehogs - last one must've been 25 years ago - but I regularly eat and thoroughly enjoy brer squirrel. Top scoff.

For the record, in my feral, free range youth, I think I've eaten most edible (and plenty of decidedly revolting) fish, birds and mammals found in the UK, and perch are seriously tasty, as are zander. Would I eat a perch these days? No. They are too precious to treat as snacks and I know better now.

Just saying, like. ;)

In the late 60s the roach population was decimated, In the early 70s it was the perch, neither was due to the eating of them by anglers. At the time I remember being asked about eating the fish we catch, and saying, that the stocks are too low and I would not advocate it. Now however the perch stocks are of a size that the taking of the odd 1lb perch would not make a significant difference, to the overall numbers, it would however increase the chances of other perch reaching a much larger size, which would help inflate the egos of those who like to catch and display and release. IMO

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Just saying, like. ;)

I'll confess, I don't really understand this notion that our fish stocks are 'too precious'? Are there really places in the UK where the fish are that few and far between? That's certainly not the situation in my area. There are literally hoardes of perch in most of my local waters, and they're growing to unprecedented sizes, and in unprecedented numbers too. While I'm not for a minute suggesting that it's a sensible policy to eat 2lb perch, to suggest that this is the benchmark for a specimen is no longer really true. I struggled for years to come across my first 2lb+ perch, nowadays I could catch three or four of this stamp in a short session from just about any lock gate in my area.

I see the fish in natural waterways as a largely untapped resource. Admittedly, the fact that they're largely untapped as a food source is of a positive benefit to a catch-and-release-ego massaging angler like me, but I can't believe a small amount of human predation is going to alter the staus quo at all. Thousand upon thousand of coarse fish live and die without ever encountering an anglers hook. On purely ethical grounds, why should they be any less viable as a food source than sea fish? I could all but guarantee going out and catching a netful of perch, on most days of the season. I'd could be almost as equally assured of a blank, were I to set my stall out for cod or bass from any of my local beaches.

Personally I would like to see rigid bag limits and class sizes applied to those who wish to consume some of their catch. As long as we endeavour to allay any interest toward our coarse fish stocks from commercial quarters, I don't see any reason why the very most traditional aspect of our sport should not be allowed to continue. I'd limit it to one fish of any species per day, and levy sensible size limits on that fish. In the case of the perch for instance, I'd be happy to allow the pot hunter to take a daily limit of one fish of say a maximum of 24ozs. As an angler who enjoys targetting predators among other species, I'm not sure we should be advocating a lower size limit, as in sea-fishing.

Edited by slodger

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

I have voted in the poll.but could not resist reading this thread when I saw how many pages it consisited off,interesting reading.I would just like to congratulate you all for conducting this discussion in such an amicable way ...... :sun::sun::sun::sun: (expected to see blood and gore on every page :headhurt:

PS are you going for the record ......longest thread?

Sorry to havebutted in

Judith

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)