ACCIDENTS AT SEA

big_cod

Guest binatone
Has the threat of legal action gone away yet or is he still trying to get some money off you via your insurance

Have I missed something here? Has somebody had an accident on an angling boat? I thought big cod only opened this thread to get peoples thoughts on an unlikely event

Jesus, do all parties concerned contribute to this forum?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest binatone
Hang on Ill go get the big wooden spoon from the kitchen draw. BRB.

Don’t fall off your stool when you reach up for it, will you now. They say that 95% of all accidents happen in the home. :)

I suppose it depends on what he fell over? If it was oil on the decks for example I suppose the accident investigation people would put that down to bad work practices. I think I know where you’re coming from and all I can say is that when accident investigators investigate an accident, be it on land or sea they do not accept the concept that IT WAS JUST AN ACCIDENT. As far as there concerned accidents don’t just happen, there an unplanned event. You don’t plan to have an accident therefore you must have done something wrong for it to happen?

You can guarantee that if a passenger has an accident as regards to falling over (unless influenced by alcohol) that they (the authorities) will blame you for it.

Absolutely. I was in the Merchant Navy for nine years and it was like a mantra. Accidents don't happen accidents are caused.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Absolutely. I was in the Merchant Navy for nine years and it was like a mantra. Accidents don't happen accidents are caused.

I would say accidents on shore are different ball game the ground doesnt move.

Now being at sea you are on a moving platform which you have no control if you become negliable because somebody hasnt got good sea legs and cant stand up with the slightest movement of the boat then charter angling will soon be a thing of the past.

As for commercial fishermen out in all weathers the no win no fee brigade are in for a bannanza.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Im not so sure that the MAIB would take the same attitude.

Tell me something, if I decided I wanted to buy a charter boat and take out parties of up to 12 anglers out on trips up to 12 miles off-shore, what kind of boat will i need and what qualifications would I need to skipper it?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Re: the waders discussion here is the definitive answer:

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/killerwader.shtml

I wear waders in boats all the time, especially in cold water. :)

Neoprene chest waders are much more likely to save your life thasn anything else. :)

BTW Ian, if the guys in your account dropped the casualty back in the water because the wader straps broke then they shouldn't have been trying to lift him by his waders.

It would be very useful if skippers, mates and regular customers spent half a day doing a sea survival course :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest binatone

Now being at sea you are on a moving platform which you have no control if you become negliable because somebody hasnt got good sea legs and cant stand up with the slightest movement of the boat then charter angling will soon be a thing of the past.

As for commercial fishermen out in all weathers the no win no fee brigade are in for a bannanza.

The man (corydoras) was in the merchant navy for nine years, I suppose his ground moved a bit in it’s time and therefore will have witnessed a few accidents and there corresponding investigations.

If your anglers cannot stand up with the slightest movement of the boat, then why don’t you provide them seats? Or still get a boat that is more suitable for carrying anglers and therefore reducing the possibility of accidents. This is what the MAIB will recommend if you do not take practical steps first big cod.

Signs on your boat warning anglers that there will be sudden and unpredictable movement of the boat.

An induction of some kind when they first get on board.

Why not ask MAIB for advice, these things are cheaply done and at the end of the day it may not help the man with bad sea legs from falling over, but it will help you when it

/if it ever came to you explaining what measures (that’s reasonably practical) you have put in place to try and prevent such an incident.

The man (corydoras) was in the merchant navy for nine years, I suppose his ground moved a bit in it’s time and therefore will have witnessed a few accidents and there corresponding investigations.

If your anglers cannot stand up with the slightest movement of the boat, then why don’t you provide them seats? Or still get a boat that is more suitable for carrying anglers and therefore reducing the possibility of accidents. This is what the MAIB will recommend if you do not take practical steps first big cod.

Signs on your boat warning anglers that there will be sudden and unpredictable movement of the boat.

Why not ask MAIB for advice, these things are cheaply done and at the end of the day it may not help the man with bad sea legs from falling over, but it will help you when it

/if it ever came to you explaining what measures (that’s reasonably practical) you have put in place to try and prevent such an incident.

Binatone! - atre you saying that big cod's boat is not suitable for carrying passengers.......well the authorities that pass a vessell fit to carry passengers must not think that or he wouldn't be able to take anglers would he. Also let me say this, I have sailed omn ships bigger than your small trawler that you slogg your guts out on and I can tell you this size does not mean stability!!!

Binatone! - atre you saying that big cod's boat is not suitable for carrying passengers.......well the authorities that pass a vessell fit to carry passengers must not think that or he wouldn't be able to take anglers would he. Also let me say this, I have sailed omn ships bigger than your small trawler that you slogg your guts out on and I can tell you this size does not mean stability!!!