Have you ever caught anything other than fish?

Aaron1976

Chatting with some friends the other day I recalled the epic moment when I was fishing and caught a pair of denim shorts!

Have you ever hooked anything from the merky depths? Always nice hooking disgarded tackle, I remember ending up pulling somebody else's broken line with a pike trace and spinner attached! Cheers! :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chatting with some friends the other day I recalled the epic moment when I was fishing and caught a pair of denim shorts!

Have you ever hooked anything from the merky depths? Always nice hooking disgarded tackle, I remember ending up pulling somebody else's broken line with a pike trace and spinner attached! Cheers! :)

A small child's tricycle, caught on a spoon, from the Bristol Avon in Bath. 50lb PowerPro landed it OK.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Many things Aaron. The one that put up the best fight was, a used condom, hooked at the open end in flowing water.

The most bizarre and disgusting happened during a perch session on our local canal. I was fishing worm near a warm water outlet pipe, the flow from the pipe caused my float to move across the canal, and the perch would often take the bait when it reached the edge of the flow. This enabled me to 'trot' the swim.

During one swim down, my float moved sideways and slowly sunk. I stuck into a 'dead' weight, applying more pressure, caused the object to rise from the bottom, and with the help of the small current, 'kite' across the flow. This caused me to believe (for a few seconds) that I had hooked a monster. As the 'monster' came into the still water, I could see that it was in fact a sack. I had to use my landing net to get it on to the towpath, I then cut it open. The smell and sight of a couple of dead kittens, that had been festering in the warm water for some time, caused me to throw up, and it was some time before I could bring myself to continue fishing. :yucky:

The feline corpses were disposed of on a bonfire, which thankfully, the lock keeper had burning in his back garden.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Ive caught a TEREPIN on the Leeds-Liverpool canla before hard to believe but TRUE!

Ive also caught Newts before aswel

Pygocentrus Piraya

I once spent 5 hours piking with plugs and spoons and spinners in the canal in London from Caledonian road to Camden.

Only had 1 take all day, the rest of the time I kept on having the 'oh, what's this, that's a goog tug, oh no, another plastic bag full of sludge' moments. I must have pulled over 50 bags out of that canal.

I had planned to spend the day there but after all that hassle I packed up at lunchtime to head to the pub. As I was sat on a bench packing up I looked up and saw a dredger coming along with a woman at the helm.

"Don't bother!" I shouted, "I've done it for you!".

I have also caught a wellie - I thought before then that only happened in cartoons!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I caught a huge and very scarey turtle whilst fishing in Turkey.

I've caught a seagul - but have also lost pidgeons and a kingfisher.

I once caught my younger brother.

I have caught myself - both fairly in the lip and most unfairly in the testicles :o

I once caught a 4lb+ chub. It was hooked perfectly in the corner of the jaw but didn't fight much - it was green and fury because it had benn dead for at least a week.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

My mate Luke hooked and landed an alligator whilst livebaiting for Gar in Florida! He also lays claim to fame by "fishing" for several green tree frogs that had set up home in his father in laws chimney there to!

As for my self one extremely frightening Snapping Turtle in the US and a Cormorant (picked up a bait in over 20'!) from Ardingly Reservoir!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

ive caught many plastic bags they weigh a ton when full of water. caught nearly half a tree the other day that had several items of clothing on it. caught a few shopping trollies. ive caught planks of wood