Back pain ?

RobStubbs

I'm after any advice on back pain from the multitude of people here. I've basically had a bit of pain every few months or so for years but nothing to worry about - a bit of physio or it just goes on it's own in a few days.

Over the last week and half it's been quite bad - 2 bouts of physio did nothing so I'm off to the Dr's tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's muscle related plus a bit stiffness of the lower back. Oh and I did have a cartilage op on my knee a week before the pain worsened so I'm pretty sure the inevitable 'walking differently' has probably aggravated it.

So I guess my question is what would people advise ?

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to your Doctor is the right thing to do and get a scan, or at least XRays on your lower spine.

I spent a small fortune on Osteopaths and Physios for about 18 months, before going to my Doctor.

He referred me to the Orthopaedic Surgeon, then a scan and I had a Discectomy (trimming of ruptured disc) in April this year, which was the problem all along.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Get it checked out by a profesional (a doctor not a an osteopath, chiropracter or faith healer) and if they can do something then great.

If they cant then when it flares up, take ibuprofen, go easy for a couple of days and then get going again.

The very worst thing you can do is lie on a board or rest for long periods. The board will distort your spine making it worse and resting up for weeks or longer will cause the muscles that support your back to waste and with less suporting muscle, things will get much much worse.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

my old man got hit by a crane hook whilst working at detford power station ,nothing bloody but a knock to the spine all the same ,as a kid i remember him confined to bed on a board for six months and he had trouble throughout his life ,such was the medical practice then ,nowadays ofcourse (and mentioned above) its the worst thing possible and gentle excercise (with painkillers) best ,it keeps the muscles fit the last thing you want is muscle weakening which then puts more pressure on the spine.

i remeber doing my back in carrying an empty fish tank ,i must have walked funny as i soon had extremely painfull muscles on my front (probably leant forward to relieve the pain in my back) ,the pain there lasted longer than the pain in my back ,had i taken painkillers no doupt i would have recovered after a couple of days .

doctors are there ,they'r free ,use them ;) if your not happy the quacks will still be there after.

ibuprofen (although there is concern to its use lately) is not only a pain killer its a anti inflamatory which should help with any swelling.

dont buy that silly gel even the "max" version wont do a thing (well in my case of a pulled muscle in my arm) half a tube meant that there was half a tube left! the arm still hurt :(

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Rob, doctors first..

Back pains can be caused by a variety of reasons...sometimes simply by a bit of stress causing you to tense up, followed by "back pain"

I use Ibuprofen 400mg for my sciatica, only need one every now and then....pain goes..muscle tension goes...sciatica goes...until I either "overdo it" when I have to start again :)

Don't let anyone "pull you around" until you have been checked out by a proper expert.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I hurt my back earlier this year getting big bales of compost in and out of an Asda trolley. I took ibuprofen and grumbled for several days until SWMBO ordered me to the docs. The doc gave me some better anti-inflammatories, and it calmed down very quickly.

I think blokes tend to soldier on and grumble too much instead of seeing the doctor. I got a right telling off* from the doctor a couple of years ago when I had an eye problem that turned into iritis because I put off getting it seen to until it was unbearable.

* Not the phrase I originally used, I got censored...

Edited by Steve Walker

go to your doc then go swimming in a small very warm pool like most of the large hotel chains have :ie ramada jarvis ,

usualy almost hot enough for a bath worked wonders for me

Edited by pumphypete

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

I have a recurrent bad back, if its just muscular the Oesteopath will work, if it structural they wont but are not likely to make it any worse. Go see the doc first and see what they say, but if it wasnt for my osteopath I'd be laid up right now. If you have a really bad back Ibroprufen wont help much, my doc says you need to take too many to get a decent anti inflammatory response. Voltarol does it for me, but you might have to try a few to find what works for you. I'm 6'4" and the world is just 6" too low!

So go see the doc, ask loads of questions and if you get sciatica see if you can get a scan to see whats up, but dont be scared of Osteopaths they can help! (I wouldnt pay out £30 a shot if they didnt) Never been to a Chiro tho

Good luck (oh and buy a neoprene back support)

dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com