Shogun or Freelander

*Ant*

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a what?

is that some sort of vehicle from the 50's? :P

Most Hillman Imps were purchased by the gas board to go around telling people about the benefits of natural gas over coal gas.

Zulu is on about the Imp called Hillman who sits on his shoulder at night time and tells him to post naughty comments.

Newt's comments are atypical American law of Physics in that any task can be accomplished by the application of excessive amounts of brute force and if that fails use a firearm :blink:

I had a Shogun 3.1 DID, nice motor. (LWB)

Back seats folded down both ways to make a) more storage or B) a double size bed (why would anyone want a bed in the back of a car :blink: )

Out of the 2 I would go for the mitsibushi, I would quantify these remarks against other comments I have made in the past by saying the Freelander ISN'T a Landrover in the true sence of the word.

If you want a Freelander make sure it's the BMW produced model or be prepared to splash out reguarly on gearboxes, Diffs and headgaskets. (and do the hairdressing course :P )

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Newt's comments are atypical American law of Physics in that any task can be accomplished by the application of excessive amounts of brute force and if that fails use a firearm :blink:

Well, not ALL tasks but certainly most of them.

I would have agreed with 'any task' but wanted to put in that disclaimer because otherwise some spoil sport would have figured out some rare and odd exception.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I seem to remember that some freelanders ( this could well be the 1.8 as the MG soft top which has the 1.8 engine also suffers with this!! ) suffer from the head gasket blowing due to it being made from steel with a silicone bead that lets go and is very costly to repair.

It would have to be the TD Shogun for me :)

Alan.

I know of two lads who this has happened to...I wouldnt even think about one of them. Just look how many of them there are for sale....... :blink:;);)

If you dont want to get a Shogun...and want to stick to "Leyland", a Discovery diesel is a very good bit of kit.....my mate has one...great car. and fairly nippy too... :D

Re the TD Shogun, as Davy says, I have the V6 3 lt 24 valve petrol....and theres not a great deal in the fuel consumption. Did a 1,000 mile trip in it a month ago, get 22-24 mpg....motorway speeds too. Towing ,I get around 19-21, depending on the road type. cant fault it. Great Fishing/Shopping car...I had a fridge and a freezer in it last year, with room to spare.. :D:D

The seats fold completely flat, and I have slept in it when on fishing trips, full length....very comfy and draught proof.. :thumbs:

My avatar, is my car ....as Chris says, Big, Black, and shiny...when I can be bothered washing it !!!!!

If you want to hang on for mibbe 18 months, I will be replacing it, with yet another of the same breed....but think they are now called the Shogun Sport.....I have heard, that the build quality isnt as good on them tho' . But will see nearer the time !! :sun:

Come October ,you can have a wee drive in it....mibbes off road too..... :yeah:

Norrie

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Cheers Norrie, and thanks for the pm aswell. :thumbs:;)

......and thanks to everyone else for the replies, think the Shogun is the way to go. ;)

Edited by *Ant*

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

My wife has the L200 Warrior 2.5TD, shares a lot of bits with the shogun, superb motor. The seats don't fold flat in that one though :)

Hi Chris, Hows you mate ???? The L200 was /is the base for the Challenger, and the Sport. Seemingly, thats why it has an "Agricultural" :blink: feel to the suspension....... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Well i'm thinking about replacing my fishing wagon with one of the above.

I've noticed that the Freelander is a 1.8 which seems a tad small for the size of vehicle so was wondering if they feel underpowered.

At the other end of the scale is the 3.0 petrol Shogun, don't fancy the fuel bills on one of them :o , but thought I could live with the 2.5 turbo diesel. (oh....SWB, don't need the LWB)

So just thought that anyone who has either could help my chose and perhaps point out any known problems that I should look for.

BTW - Do the rear seat fold flat on both?

Thanks for any reply (unless it's from ferret in which case it will probably be no use and just to wind me up :D )

We've got a freelander TD4 ES for sale at the moment.

2ltr auto diesel, electric windows, mirrors, sunroof, heated seats for those chilly winter trips to the lake.

6cd multichanger, electric folding mirrors.

Roof rails fitted.

Its going in for an MOT on monday so will be sold with 12 months and will also be treated to 2 new front tyres and new front pads.

Taxed last week for 6 months so you can have it with that.

BIG BIG boot space and yes the seats fold flat.

Black, with leather interior, alloys.

£7995 ono

email richard@doity.com if you're interested.

Oh, forgot to mention, it is the BMW build.

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail