Top Gear accident

*Ant*

I will answer that Dean, by saying that the Wright brothers wern't on an obscene salary to do it! Look a bit deeper into the the record books and see that those who DID these things, were AMATEURS!!!

Roger Bannister (the first sub- four minute miler) was a STUDENT. Most of the names you will find have only been famous After the event. Before the moon landing, you would have said who is Armstrong? If he had not succeeded he would still be anonymous. who was the fourth, fifth and sixth moon landers?

Britain has, unfortunately, taken to hero worshiping overpaid footballers, television presenters, actors etc. who get paid whether you hero worship them or not!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was hammond going for the landspeed record? No, not really, in fact there has been a strict denial that was the plan - in fact - it's all a bit odd. Indications in the media suggest he may have been going for the landspeed record unofficially, which then makes you wonder whether everyone knew that was the plan or whether hammond, the production company, or the bbc made a decision which people organising the event (I believe the current land-speed record holder) might not have been entirely aware of). It appears there was no one official there so it wouldn't have counted anyway - which makes the whole thing a little pointless to say the least.

So - the logic behind the stunt requires some thought. It certainly wasn't to 'develop technology' lets not kid ourselves (world landspeed record is mach 1.02 - 700 plus miles per hour). It certainly wasn't to set a British record - or not officially. Therefore (one assumes) it was to say he 'could do it' which then makes you question the judgement behind carrying out such an attempt, and indeed whether some of the support is a little misguided.

All in it is easy to sympathise with Hammonds family - which (it goes with out saying) must be very worried about the incident and the potential problems that he may have over coming weeks or months. I've said it before though and really Hammond himself made that decision to drive that car, and with a family I think there is an 'element' of irresponsibility in his actions - very much like Steve Irwin.

If this was a guy riding his motorcycle in the rain at 100mph and crashed it you'd all blame the guy. Yes this is tragic - but in this instance not entirely faultless, and I suspect even Richard himself will question (on reflection) the true reason why he drove that car at that speed.

With all that though I wish him a speedy (and uncomplicated) recovery

Ian W

I will answer that Dean, by saying that the Wright brothers wern't on an obscene salary to do it! Look a bit deeper into the the record books and see that those who DID these things, were AMATEURS!!!

Roger Bannister (the first sub- four minute miler) was a STUDENT. Most of the names you will find have only been famous After the event. Before the moon landing, you would have said who is Armstrong? If he had not succeeded he would still be anonymous. who was the fourth, fifth and sixth moon landers?

Britain has, unfortunately, taken to hero worshiping overpaid footballers, television presenters, actors etc. who get paid whether you hero worship them or not!

well i agree with that, so lets imagine some tv crew were around at the time of the Wright bros and offered a them stupid ammount of money to do a fly on the wall doc about them, I wonder if they would have turned it down?

But I wonder what the public would have said about them, lets guess, they would have been slated, called them irresponceable and a bad example to others.

It seems today if someones good at something and are allowed to make money, they get kicked for it.

But alas its the times we live in.

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

Dean.

The corner you are painting yourself into is getting smaller by the posting. Your grasp of social history seems to be very slim.

The Wright Bros etc, were dedicated enthusiasts. Trying to attain a dream on very limited finances.

Not a very well paid (I`ll not say overpaid) television presenter, looking for something to entertain their audience with!!

I`ve no problem with folk that take on hair raising or foolhardy escapades. I just don`t think I should have to feel sorry for them when things go wrong. Especially when they`ve done it in the name of entertainment.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Americans look at someone driving a Rolls and think "I wish I could afford that car, maybe if I work hard enough one day I will." Many Brits would look at the same man and think "I wish he couldn't afford that car, then I'd feel better about being bone idle."

I just don`t think I should have to feel sorry for them when things go wrong. Especially when they`ve done it in the name of entertainment.

You don't have to. When Princess Di croaked I didn't feel sorry. I just thanked God I was starting a fortnights holiday abroad so I missed the nauseating displays of "public grief" and the blanket media coverage.

You don't have to. When Princess Di croaked I didn't feel sorry. I just thanked God I was starting a fortnights holiday abroad so I missed the nauseating displays of "public grief" and the blanket media coverage.

Then you were lucky Colin. I was at work. I had to watch it on a bank of 20 cctv monitors!!!

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Dean.

The corner you are painting yourself into is getting smaller by the posting. Your grasp of social history seems to be very slim.

The Wright Bros etc, were dedicated enthusiasts. Trying to attain a dream on very limited finances.

Not a very well paid (I`ll not say overpaid) television presenter, looking for something to entertain their audience with!!

I`ve no problem with folk that take on hair raising or foolhardy escapades. I just don`t think I should have to feel sorry for them when things go wrong. Especially when they`ve done it in the name of entertainment.

Well as I said in my previous post before what if they were offer a pot of cash by some film crew whilst doing it would they have turned it down?

Accidents happen in every walk of life, its just a shame when you hear "Well he got paid thousands for doing it, so it serves him right".

As for "overpaid" well it seems that this day and age, everybody from brickies to bakers are overpaid, if they got a decent car and house, I wonder if its to do with hard work why some people have them, and fair play to them.

So thing hard and long on this one, if some on turned up at your work , sport or hobbie (and I dont know what you do), and offered you thousands to film you would you turn it down? or say im ok thanks ill do it for the minimum wage.

weel i know what id say.

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

Well as I said in my previous post before what if they were offer a pot of cash by some film crew whilst doing it would they have turned it down?

Accidents happen in every walk of life, its just a shame when you hear "Well he got paid thousands for doing it, so it serves him right".

As for "overpaid" well it seems that this day and age, everybody from brickies to bakers are overpaid, if they got a decent car and house, I wonder if its to do with hard work why some people have them, and fair play to them.

So thing hard and long on this one, if some on turned up at your work , sport or hobbie (and I dont know what you do), and offered you thousands to film you would you turn it down? or say im ok thanks ill do it for the minimum wage.

weel i know what id say.

I currently get paid £350 basic a week plus overtime to drive a coach. In the past I have played in several bands that have just knocked on the door of success. Unfortunately the door has been closed more often than not. If one of those doors had been flung open and success thrown at me would I have said no I'd rather drive around a bunch of school kids for £350 a week. I don't think so. But do I sit here stewing at the lack of success or knocking those who have made it. No chance. Good bloody luck to them I say, and if somebody gets offered stupid money to do soaps, football, films, presenting etc then whatever. You take whats put in front of you.

Anyway the hamster is now in a general ward so appears to be on the road to recovery, oh and it's a no star NHS hospital by the way!

Colin

I am dyslexic of Borg, refistance is sutile.............your ass will be laminated!

I currently get paid £350 basic a week plus overtime to drive a coach.

I'm "in security" and face some real nasty people some days and get to sit on my arse doing nothing for 15hrs on other days my basic wage varies from £280 to £350 a week (depending on shift rota) and overtime doesn't exsist, do i hate anyone who does better than me......nope.

(but i really wish Sir Richard Branson was my older brother ;) )

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them