New John Wilson Programme

Elton

Good ol' Wilson. Everyone's got an opinion on him!

Personally I love his enthusiasm and his programmes are always really well produced. Like others have said, there's a lot of pressure to catch fish. I too have noticed his abrubtnes/rudeness with ghillies and guides. But again, I'm sure the tension and pressure plays a big role in this. But I'd rather not see it. Just like when he grabs a fish that someone else has just caught and lets them (the captor!) hold the tip of the tail fin! If they're lucky!

I always smile when he's holding up a fish because he always repeats his sentances!

"Absolute magic, a b s o l u t e magic..."

"Fabulous fishing here on the Dorset Stour, f a b u l o u s fishing..."

The exotic locations don't really interest me. I just can't relate to it.

These are just minor gripes. I really like watching his shows. Especially the uk coarse fishing ones.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three cheers for Wilson - my childhood hero. I wish I had Sky (or rather I wish these were being shown on terrestrial TV).

Ability and enthusiasm, that's what he's all about. :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Three cheers for Wilson - my childhood hero. I wish I had Sky (or rather I wish these were being shown on terrestrial TV).

Ability and enthusiasm, that's what he's all about. :)

I watched a whole day of John Wilson's fishing safari yesterday, something like 12 hours of episodes were on Discovery Real Time. I prefer the home grown stuff but hey any fishing on telly is great in my book (not my wifes tho...)

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Would you believe it ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The bit that gets me, apart from the laugh, it's a bit green etc etc, is the way he and guide/fellow angler exchange names all the b****y time! It's not normal is it?

"That's a bit green Fred, yes it is John."

"Get out of the way Fred, OK John."

"Eh Brian it's whopper, Yes it is John."

"Give it here Brian, OK John, it is your program after all John"

Also my wife can't stand him.

She does however like Mick Brown.

All that said, it's good to have a new series or two. Paul Young is trembling his way up the eastern seaboard of the USA don't forget! There's another unassuming guy!

Colin

Edited by Colin Brett

Isn't it funny how all the wives like Mick Brown, watching "record breaking fish" recently the wife commented, this program would have been much better if they'd just had Mick Brown doing it!

Mat

I agree Mat, my wife thinks Mick Brown is great, like the favourite unkle. She also likes JW, much for his catchphrases as anything else. Cant say that I have noticed his rudeness though as others here have and I have seen all of his shows. Probably cos' I get shouted at by er indoors all the time :blink: and too thick skinned to notice.

She also quite likes Matt Hayes... but thinks he should clean his fingernails. :lol: Women eh!

That said, cant complain as she will happily sit down and watch hours of weekend fishing with me, shame she wont do this with football.

Edited by RPM

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone see the new JW show last Friday?

He was after grayling on the Test and, although I watched it from the start, didn't last the whole show - only 20 minutes in fact. There was something too artificial about the "ultra-prosaic" descriptions between shots - he was clearly doing a voice-over in a studio after the event - but it was too over-the-top. It was like listening to an English essay on the countryside. Put me right off listening, I had to turn it off. :(

Fishing wasn't bad though. :)

Our chief weapon is surprise

Good ol' Wilson. Everyone's got an opinion on him!

Personally I love his enthusiasm and his programmes are always really well produced. Like others have said, there's a lot of pressure to catch fish. I too have noticed his abrubtnes/rudeness with ghillies and guides. But again, I'm sure the tension and pressure plays a big role in this. But I'd rather not see it. Just like when he grabs a fish that someone else has just caught and lets them (the captor!) hold the tip of the tail fin! If they're lucky!

I always smile when he's holding up a fish because he always repeats his sentances!

"Absolute magic, a b s o l u t e magic..."

"Fabulous fishing here on the Dorset Stour, f a b u l o u s fishing..."

The exotic locations don't really interest me. I just can't relate to it.

These are just minor gripes. I really like watching his shows. Especially the uk coarse fishing ones.

or his other catchphrase (after he has dropped it twice thrown it around the bank for a while, wiped all of it's slime off with his hands several times, and held it up in the air for about 15 minutes)

"lets put it back straight away" :wallbash:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

"lets put it back straight away"

:P Yep, makes me laugh every time that one.....

Paul