Sea Fishing and Conservation

Have I missed something ? I dont remember Mr moto sticking 2 fingers up at anyone who practices catch and release. Its a very good practice and one I often take part in myself. If anything you are making a personnal judgement of him rather than he of you. I am as much against waste and greed as the rest of you but you seem to be making judgements about a person who is doing something that is legal within the current law of the land. Rather than wasting time telling him how bad he is perhaps you should be lobbying governement to bring in bag limits for the east coast charter fleet.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have I missed something ? I dont remember Mr moto sticking 2 fingers up at anyone who practices catch and release. Its a very good practice and one I often take part in myself. If anything you are making a personnal judgement of him rather than he of you. I am as much against waste and greed as the rest of you but you seem to be making judgements about a person who is doing something that is legal within the current law of the land. Rather than wasting time telling him how bad he is perhaps you should be lobbying governement to bring in bag limits for the east coast charter fleet.

Yes he has, on more than one occasion.

And if you guys want to screw up the fishing on your own doorstep thats your choice, surprised at you Glenn.

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Surprised at me for what Scotty ? If the fish is wasted then im as upset as you - If its left to rot or go off in a freezer then that is not good. I personally return fish(not all the time but I do), I am pleased to here you do too. If you can provide me with evidence that the charter fleet effects the local or wider north sea COD stock then Im willing to listen to you - Ill read anything you can put in front of me, If you have prrof we are screwing up our fishing Ill even side with you and call for change. All Im saying is I didnt think Mr moto had criticised anyone for catch and release - it is after all your own choice. If he has criticised you for what you legally believe and practice then that is wrong of him - please accept my sincere apologies.

p.s This fish in question were probably caught closer to Norway than Whitby so its their stocks we should be concerned about if we need to be concerned.

Edited by glennk

I think my post is quite clear Scotty :) . Please take me as an individual and not as part of a larger group :) . If Mr Moto is gready, wastefull or damaging stocks then Im with you. If he isnt - Im not !!! If he has criticised you for your angling practices then im with you again.

As I said in an earlier post, until we are viewed as bona fide stakeholders in sea fishing, we will never be heard,

I would have thought that the £60M+ that we are charged in VAT was enough already.

What difference will an extra £3M from a sea fishing license make?

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

I would have thought that the £60M+ that we are charged in VAT was enough already.

What difference will an extra £3M from a sea fishing license make?

Nothing. It will probably cost that to collect it. BUT the government would have opened up another revenue stream. Saying that, I'm not sure licenses will happen as they have no way of enforcing it.

I think my post is quite clear Scotty :) . Please take me as an individual and not as part of a larger group :) . If Mr Moto is gready, wastefull or damaging stocks then Im with you. If he isnt - Im not !!! If he has criticised you for your angling practices then im with you again.

Take a look at some of his post in reply to me and others concerning conservation, I know you lads have different views on the subject and that a sever restriction on cod fishing would put you all in a difficult position as they form from your post the most important part of your catch.

I know in the past you have been concerned about commercial over fishing and I would hope we could all agree that anglers percentage of the whole of the North Sea catch is only point something of a percentage and if only anglers were taking fish there would be know problem with cod stocks.

However that is not the case and todays headlines once again highlight the problems cod stocks in the North Sea are facing.

No matter how much we chuntter on, on this forum, at the end of the day EU and other bodies who take no notice of us at all will decide what action to take.

Maybe and it is only a maybe, if you had good support, plus self imposed bag limits on charters, in other words set an example anglers may just be left out of the equation but as it currently stands when the big stick lands all and sundry will be effected.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Nothing. It will probably cost that to collect it. BUT the government would have opened up another revenue stream. Saying that, I'm not sure licenses will happen as they have no way of enforcing it.

As I remember there were those who said that about the fresh water licence :rolleyes: They will find a way of inforcing it via charter skippers and other coastal watches, be end up like the tv licence, if you by tackle you will end up having to give over your personal details. :lol:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist