Sea Fishing and Conservation

Have I missed something ? I dont remember Mr moto sticking 2 fingers up at anyone who practices catch and release. Its a very good practice and one I often take part in myself. If anything you are making a personnal judgement of him rather than he of you. I am as much against waste and greed as the rest of you but you seem to be making judgements about a person who is doing something that is legal within the current law of the land. Rather than wasting time telling him how bad he is perhaps you should be lobbying governement to bring in bag limits for the east coast charter fleet.

thanks very much for that glennk , i do take part in catch and release (more so than i ought to) , and please feel free to have a look through my posts . and as far as i am aware there is nothing derrogatory towards conservation ( i back them all the way), but my gripe is that there is toooooooo much of it happening on this forum

lets get a petition going (or whatever) with all the members votes and get something directive done about it

regardless of what some members think of my views on this forum , i do want to look after the sea and everything (except sewage) in it.

but until something is enforced i will carry on fishing as normal without a care or worry.

But i will say that you can assured that you have my vote!!!

come on lads stop falling out with each other and get something done as a whole

how many (active) members would be interested ??????

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John gotta agree with yer bud yer spot on.

I came from a simlar background where catching a few fish were a help to the additional bartering items from the allotment and I know exactly where your coming from.

Yes I can see a legitamate reason for a few anglers jumping up and down because you may not conform to their extreem of conservation and have thrown a fish back coz it was to small (with them unaware that it was gut hooked and half dead when landed).

My sentiment used to be take just enough for the table but I have to admit on occaisions I have taken a few dozen nice size whiting home to supply the old peoples home (free of charge) with a genuinely fresh tasting fish which they may have not had for years. But I suppose that will upset the true conservationists coz I could have thrown em back.

All i can say is that life is about balance and rules.We need to get the rules about catch/returns made more readily available to unwitting and uneducated anglers who blatently abuse size limits and take every fish they cach (even if they are for the cat) Us anglers must contribute in some way to help preserve thefish stocks for the future to restore the balance otherwise there wont be anything left to trawl up.

Point to be made. Whatever we do will not be enough in someone elses eyes coz were all individuals. But most of us are sure trying to help each in our own way.

The dabslayer

[admin note: Hi BULLDRAGON. If you joined to ask for info or to contribute then you are welcome. I removed the content of your first post since it did not seem to do either and was simply a snide remark. Not the greatest idea for a first post.

Newt]

another new member with some nasty comments then NEWT?

Must say his name is a little bit OTT.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

[admin note: Hi BULLDRAGON. If you joined to ask for info or to contribute then you are welcome. I removed the content of your first post since it did not seem to do either and was simply a snide remark. Not the greatest idea for a first post.

Newt]

Sorry, remark was not intended to be snide, just a joke. Anyway I was on the trip on Cheiftain the one with all the photos that caused all the controversy. It was the first trip for me for seven years, and I enjoyed every second of that four days. In fact I can honestly say "It was worth every penny". Just like 10+ years ago when I used to go once or twice a month

'is all this conservation stuff affecting their business? (ooh i can't book that trip because i'm not allowed to take my catch home , or if i catch too much i darn't tell anyone about it or i'll be classed as emptying the seas)

YES anglers may take more than they're able to eat , but so what!

immigrants are taking benefits that arn't neccesarily meant for them (and most certainly not paid for by them!!!), people are blowing up towers , people are breaking the law everywhere you look .

let the powers that be sort it out and stop griping and get some fishing done. '

Its about finding a happy medium, can't you see that?

And to say 'anglers may take more than they're able to eat, but so what!' is just ridiculous and arrogant, but no more than I've come to expect from you :rolleyes: . Love the comparison you've made between yourself and terroist immigrants............nice ;)

And i'm still waiting to see some of your catch pictures, because I don't think you know jack all.

Scott

me...now lets have one of yours(foto)

i know a little about everything , but don't know everything about nothing.

80 stone of PRIME COD FILLET (none wasted ,all eaten, none sold) as far as i know anyway!

Edited by mr motorola

Hi again BULLDRAGON. No problems and I may have taken your comments differently than you meant them. This has been such an emotive topic that I am overly cautions.

mr motorola - nope. Not nasty at all. Just stuck me as being a little strange for a new poster but if it had been the least bit nasty, I'd have spoken to him offline. I am also known to mis-read some remarks even though I've been hanging around here for some years now and have pretty well learned to speak and understand Brit. I still have the occasional lapse.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thought the following might interest some of ou guys.....

The Times October 19, 2006

Get down on the fish farm

By Ross Clark

WERE I ICELANDIC or Norwegian I am sure that my overriding impression of the British would be one of a bunch of hypocrites. At the slightest suggestion of a whale being hunted we work ourselves into a high moral state over the evil people who go about harpooning these beautiful creatures.

Yet at the same time we consider it our divine right to send our brave deep-sea fishermen to scoop every last cod from the North Sea — even if, as the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES), cautioned yesterday, fish stocks are on the point of catastrophic collapse.

ICES has been warning for several years that there must be a moratorium on cod fishing for stocks to recover to sustainable levels. The result? We have carried on fishing, with 26,500 tonnes landed last year, plus another 50,000 tonnes caught accidentally and thrown back dead into the sea.

If we wish to keep our chip shops supplied in the longer term there is only one realistic option: we must farm most of our fish.

Yet the idea raises the hackles of British environmentalists, who have led a long and bitter campaign against salmon farming. A fortnight ago there was an outcry when the Soil Association lent its approval to a single Scottish salmon farm, with many members accusing it of betraying its principles. Norway has already proved that cod, like salmon, can be farmed, and is pouring money into the embryonic industry.

How have British environmentalists responded to this, and to Britain’s first cod farm, which has recently started production in the Shetlands? With horror. Cod farming is a “disaster waiting to happen”, according to one pressure group.

Sure, there are environmental problems associated with fish farming. But then so, too, are there environmental problems caused by breeding pigs and cattle. If, several millennia ago, we had refused on principle to start farming pigs and cattle and had instead insisted on eating them from the wild, these creatures would long since had become the stuff of myth and legend, having been driven to extinction.

Those who oppose fish farming are not just guilty of Luddite tendencies: they are trying to deprive the poor of good, nutritious food. Refuse to embrace cod farming and the land of fish and chips will become, well, the land of chips and more chips.

Making the most of it

Chi dorme non piglia pesci

me...now lets have one of yours(foto)

i know a little about everything , but don't know everything about nothing.

80 stone of PRIME COD FILLET (none wasted ,all eaten, none sold) as far as i know anyway!

Nice to put a face to the name, I was starting to think you were frightened of exposing your identity :)

We've had a wee battle of wills going on for the past few weeks which has been quite entertaining (at times).

I can assure you I am not a hippy, tree hugger conservationist by any stroke, and have always believed its predominetly down to individual, but you can lead a horse to water, blah blah blah. Nice to see the Whitby war drums have been going off ;)

We all have a common interest at the end of the day, thats why we are here, peoples opions differ, which is human nature but in many cases you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Many one this forum will tell you how the fishing isn't what it once was, my nephew is 3 soon, as soon as he's old enough he's coming out on the boat to fish with his Uncle, and all I want is to do my best to ensure there is still something for him to catch, and I dread saying 'this mark was one of the best 20 years ago, and now the fish have gone' , that would be very sad :(

All the best

Scott

Edited by Scotty T

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

If you don't see this I suggest you are in denial. I have had a banker mark of the last few years decimated this year by 1 boat! Everything caught gets sold, illegally. This 'angler' must have caught 500+ fish from this 1 spot. How sustainable is that?

JRT

so someone else has found a mark that you have been fishing for the last few years and taken 500+ fish

question 1. was it a charter/commercial boat.... and how many anglers

question 2 How Many fish have you taken from this mark over the last few years ?

question 3 do you stop fishing once you have caught half a dozen even if the fish are feeding

question 4 how can you be 100% sure that these fish were sold and not eaten by the captors

question 5 If you are 100% sure these fish were sold illigally did you or did you not report it to your

nearest fishery,s protection office

so someone else has found a mark that you have been fishing for the last few years and taken 500+ fish

question 1. was it a charter/commercial boat.... and how many anglers

question 2 How Many fish have you taken from this mark over the last few years ?

question 3 do you stop fishing once you have caught half a dozen even if the fish are feeding

question 4 how can you be 100% sure that these fish were sold and not eaten by the captors

question 5 If you are 100% sure these fish were sold illigally did you or did you not report it to your

nearest fishery,s protection office

Hi Jaffa,

A1. Private boat, 1 guy normally but I have seen 2.

A2. Friends and I have caught hundreds of fish from this mark..ALL returned, non kept.

A3. Nope, I catch what I can before the tide pushes me off. The most I have caught in a session at this spot is 10, again all returned. I then move to another mark.

A4. A friend who is a boat owner and fishing buddy sees him selling the fish AND has reported him to no avail

A5. Yes he has been reported as stated. But it seems he is not big enough to warrant investigation.

As we keep saying constraint is all we are asking for, which doesn't seem to much does it? Yet 'Anglers' are their own worse enemies. Which is why we will have restrictions slapped onto us without any say in the matter or future matters!