What is the nicest sea food to eat?

YoungRod

Good point Colin W - I am of course referring to marsh samphire. Not had the opportunity yet to try t'other

Zigs - maybe a sam-fur gathering expedition could be arranged. We must do some more cockling, got some belters last spring tide @ Ferry Bridge (best lot yet), I need some razor clams next ...

Edited by FearTheHands

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point Colin W - I am of course referring to marsh samphire. Not had the opportunity yet to try t'other

Zigs - maybe a sam-fur gathering expedition could be arranged. We must do some more cockling, got some belters last spring tide @ Ferry Bridge (best lot yet), I need some razor clams next ...

your mate huge furry whittingstall has been known to pickle rock samphire, think it was in elderberry wine vinegar. it grows on the edge of west bay harbour, sort of opposite the amusement arcade, don't know if there will be any at this time of year, mind you, has been very mild.

marsh samphire will be around july/august.

cockling sounds a good idea.

razor clams, we will have to go a bit further afield, couldn't find any down weymouth last year, but did find a scallop, put it in fresh water to clean it out but it died quite quickly so i cooked it straight away.

next morning, little willow inspected the empty bucket & demanded to know where "scott" was. :whistling::doh:

I once had a job as a research assistant surveying bass and mullet fry along the estuaries in mid-Wales. Perks of the job were fresh prawn, brown shrimp and samphire, depending where we were sampling.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

I was wondering, what is the nicest sea creature that is available to eat (UK or abroard)? I like sea food,but am yet to find something that really gets the tastebuds tingling!

Anyways, going fishing hopefully wednesday, weather permitting, so i gonna test out some new gear...

Happy New Year

YoungRod

Tuna freindly dolphin?

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

I've had a good think about this one, because I am really fussy about seafood. I don't like any kind of what I call 'snotters in a crash helmet' so whelks and winkles and their ilk are out. (Strange really because I adore escargots)

I love moulles frites (mussels and chips) as sold in France and Belguim.

Coquille St Jacques (scallops)

Any kind of prawns, shrimps, crab, langoustine etc.

Squid, octopus.

I don't like oysters. :yucky: Any man that could eat that could perform fellatio IMO. A gobfull of sea water with the texture of a raw egg.

When it comes to fish I won't eat wormy cod, haddock is much better IMO.

Really fresh mackerel on the BBQ with crusty French bread and butter (especially that French salted butter with crystals of sea salt like grains of rice in it)

Smoked Salmon (not really sea-food, but I love a slice or two on a hot blini)

Monkfish is pretty good. I think the best fish I ever tasted was a red snapper I caught in Dampier, WA when I was in the merchant navy. Our chinese cook stuffed it with herbs, garlic and butter, wrapped it in tinfoil and baked it in the oven. If heaven has a taste, that's it.

In Brittany the sell mustard that has glasswort in it (glasswort is le salicorne in French, keep an eye out for it if you visit France) It is scrummy with the mutton and lamb produced from sheep that graze on the salt marshes when the tide is out.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Some good ideas on BBC/food site for all kinds of stuff.

Havnt had a thorough look but any ideas for what to do with some of the less commonly eaten fish?

e.g. cant seem to find out what to do with garfish except use for bait or put em back.

Has anyone tried poaching cod in orange like anthony warrel-gingerbeard did on telly and if so could you still taste the fish afterwards?

Fish and chips from the chippy, at the seaside. :clap2:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Quite simple ones for me

Herring in Oatmeal

Mackerel cooked just after they were caught

nice big prawns broken out their shells and dipped in Marie Rose sauce

That sounds good, how do you do the Herring in oatmeal? coat the fish then bake it?