I keep getting knocked off the internet

steve good

Hi Everyone

A few weeks ago Orange.co.uk my SP upgraded from 6.1 to.8 bit. (so I am told)

Since then, alot of my friends and family and myself, that are with Orange keep getting knocked off the internet.

Some nights it happens so much that we cannot use the internet.

In the morning it does not happen so much

Cannot phone Orange and they do not answer our emails

Any advice would be most welcome

regards steve

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In common with so many other things in life Steve - you get what you pay for! Orange are just trying to provide service to far too many people and they ain't set up to do it. In theory you shouldn't lose connectivity in this way. The fact that it happens mainly at the busiest time of day shows that the problem is down to overselling.

I am afraid that the only real solution is to go with a paid for ISP, and look at the contention ratios in operation.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

In common with so many other things in life Steve - you get what you pay for! Orange are just trying to provide service to far too many people and they ain't set up to do it. In theory you shouldn't lose connectivity in this way. The fact that it happens mainly at the busiest time of day shows that the problem is down to overselling.

I am afraid that the only real solution is to go with a paid for ISP, and look at the contention ratios in operation.

Hi nick

Thanks for the reply

I pay £17 a month for my internet connection, signed up to Wanadoo but since Orange have taken over its gone downhill

Bested change service provider who do you think is best

regards steve

I never really see any bad things said about either:

http://www.pipex.co.uk/

or

http://broadband.nildram.net/

Both been around for a long time and both have a very strong business user base, and don't really want to lose their reputations by starting to provide crap service. Because they have a large business user base they are also relatively less busy at the peak home use times!

Unfortunately for me I have to use BT - which to be fair have been very good so far

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Steve, I live in FRANCE and take it from me the service here is crud as well!! In fact no better I would say. the ONLY difference being I CAN call Orange from here and speak to someone, only problem being my French ain't up to much so I can't ruddy understand half of what they are saying!!!! Well apart from "48 Hours!" Which is how long it was off last time!! Plus the 10 days it had already been off!!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

i'm still getting knocked of by BT weeks after getting BB ,even worse sometimes when i'm using the phone

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I had that problem just kept getting knocked off the net it was driving me mad . So I opened the windows Event Viewer which liststhe problem of the NIC Card timing out so I open the device manager and rolled back the drivers options and now everything is OK

He who simply trys, Is not trying hard enuff

Like you, I am with Orange and was happy with my 2.2 Mbps connection and in January they invited me (at no charge) to upgrade to "up to 8Mbps".

Since then I suffer disconnections from 4pm onwards.

Sometimes I can't stay online for longer than 15 minutes.

After many conversations with Orange Technical (usually 11 year old Indian children), I contacted Customer Service and asked for a Mack number, they put me through to Customer Care, who advised me that my line was "unstable" above 3 Mbps and offered me a 2.2 Mbps connection with unlimited downloads for 14.59 per month as opposed to the £17.99 I am currently paying.

I agreed to this, but on condition that I have a months free trial to make sure its working OK, they agreed to this.

I am currently researching alternative ISP's, just in case it doesn't work out.

Its ironic, but half way through typing this, I was disconnected. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cranfield

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Like you, I am with Orange and was happy with my 2.2 Mbps connection and in January they invited me (at no charge) to upgrade to "up to 8Mbps".

Since then I suffer disconnections from 4pm onwards.

Sometimes I can't stay online for longer than 15 minutes.

After many conversations with Orange Technical (usually 11 year old Indian children), I contacted Customer Service and asked for a Mack number, they put me through to Customer Care, who advised me that my line was "unstable" above 3 Mbps and offered me a 2.2 Mbps connection with unlimited downloads for 14.59 per month as opposed to the £17.99 I am currently paying.

I agreed to this, but on condition that I have a months free trial to make sure its working OK, they agreed to this.

I am currently researching alternative ISP's, just in case it doesn't work out.

Its ironic, but half way through typing this, I was disconnected. :rolleyes:

Get yourself over to BT mate or even better SKY . I personally can't stand the rip off merchants , but they do a great package :thumbs:

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009