Keep canoes off our rivers, e.petition.

Peter Waller

well ive signed it, dont like canoeists or boaters(had bad experience with them).

Went on a contest once on the meese at tibberton, we got there and a group canoeists and a boat had stopped there for a barberque. We asked them to move along so we could fish and they said that they were there first and they have more rights to be on the river than we did. We asked them why and they said that river are meant for boats and canoes not anglers as we spoil the rivers and heart the fish. We told them to get going as we were the owners of the stretch, they didnt move until they realised there were 18 of us and 5 of them.

And just as they were leaving they said that atleast there doing something that requires skill, thats right its harder to go down the river with the current than trying to fool a fish. if fishing was as easy as canoeing then wed end up with 100lb each every time we go. (i have done canoeing and found it 10 times easier than fishing)

Edited by rooney888
84854438.png

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much a multi edged sword, this one...............

On the one hand you have the larger navigable rivers - Thames, Broads rivers, etc.), on which I'd rather have kayaks & canoes than bl**dy water skiers.

Then you have smaller canalised rivers, on which I'd say that small boaters generally have a perfect right to paddle, cruise or 'controlled drift' - but what about the backwaters & weirs to these rivers which are generally little havens of peace, until the mad paddlers come through - there are even web sites giving instructions on how to 'shoot' the weirs - that can't be right especially if the riparian owners object to this activity.

I think that all the present un-navigable areas of rivers should be denied to all water craft

On the other hand if for instance un-powered boats (and angling) were allowed on the Cut-Off channel I'd have no objections whatsoever - miles of virtually un-fished river, full of big Pike & Zander - just the job for a bit of 'controlled drifting'..........

Barry

Me, upset? I'll soon tell you when I am. For the record most yakkers that I meet are a pleasure to meet, but the yakkers that I meet don't tend to come from the same mould as yer average canoe person. I can only guess that those of you who don't have a problem with the canoe fraternity don't fish rivers much, or at least have never met up with canoe clubs.

And if Patty is a butch Geordie then why should I be upset? Something of a good laugh if it is so!

Peter,

I do fish rivers - the name is a bit of a giveaway. There is a canoe club in the middle of Chelmsford, right near to where I often fish. They can be a slight pain at times, but no real problem. Not half as much as boats on a canal in the summer. Still, they've as much right to be enjoying the river as me. Fish early or late seems to be the solution if you want complete peace.

I think this is going to go know where....

The BCU have issued intent to lobby to get greater access to the rivers, not entirely 100 % behind this (see prev post for reason on page 2) but i think that the angling bodies should stand up without being militant and open talks with the BCU about a memorandum of understanding, get them to see the anglers point of view and why you take it, instead of being percieved as bunch of "grumpy sods who shout at people with paddles". This way you may be able to get your points accross about access to the waterways which they didn't understand or hadn't considered.

and at the end of the day the bcu might be approaching this by going for complete access and get some degree of that when this is all finalised but come on a petition with 120 odd signatures is not going to do anything.....

john

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales

www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk

Mark said: 4WD vehicles and kayaks are not comparable, nor even are mountain bikes and kayaks.

They are, when it comes to disturbing other users, e.g. anglers and birdwatchers!

True, yes. i was meaning in terms of damage and missed that point.

Thanks for the offer of a try, Mark. I sometimes use a friends sea yak. I've also had a play with the one of the ones that Brundall Angling are flogging. Mind you, I might go for a more subtle colour than yellow!

Well, they do the same in olive green - I was 99% decided on that before thinking of the safety aspect of using it at sea - had to go for yellow in the end. Anyway, you are very welcome anytime you want to give it a go Peter.

Lazy Hooker - spot on. There needs to be an opening of channels and some way of exchanging points of view.

I'd rather go for slow, wide peaceful rivers any day of the week - but then again i'm not into extreme paddling.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

As a kayaker and angler (mainly sea however)i can see both points of view, i also think the BCU are campaigning for free access to all rivers knowing they won't get it but hoping to increase the number of rivers they do have access to, its an old ploy used by the unions all the time ask for a 50% payrise but settle on 25% instead of asking for 25% and getting 10. I think as long as both sides are courteous then there should be no problem with both anglers and canoists sharing some(not necessarily all) of the same waters.

the problem i see is that very few people these days know how to be courteous to their fellow river/canal users and that a lot of people as a whole(both anglers and canoists/kayakers included) think they have a god given right to do as they please without thought or consequence to anyone else.

As for paying the landowners for the right to fish i thought(please correct me if i'm wrong as i'm unsure of this) that anglers actually pay for the right to gain access to the river over the landowners property as the landowner does not actually own the water that flows over the land but owns the right to cross his land to access said water via the banks,however if a kayaker was to access that same river from a public area why should he then pay the landowner when he actually isnt setting foot (or canoe/kayak) upon the landowners property.

Either way i don't think signing any of these petitions will do a lot of good as the govenment is still considering the possiblity of road charging and that was after 1.8 million people signed a petition against it.

You are correct Snakey1, about the paying for the right to access issue mate, spot on, I do not canoe or kayak but as an angler I do know the rivers are not "ours" (anglers), live and let live I say.......and if it all gets too much for some of you ..........restrict yourselves to fishing commercial venues, you will not be bothered by canoes,kayaks,cruisers,sailor boys,rear admirals or even Popeye himself! some of you do like a moan.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

live and let live I say.......

Trouble is, Bob, that on some waters, access for canoes means no fishing. That's not my idea of live and let live, that's do what you like and sod anyone else.

Would you support the automatic right to take the dogs for a swim in match angler's pegs on commercials?

Dogs are forbidden on most, if not all commercial venues Steve, the point I am trying to make is thus;

Anglers do not own rivers or the fish that inhabit them, despite paying for access rights ,fishing rights etc, the rivers are not "ours" so anglers cannot dictate the rules, on commercial venues the owner can and does dictate the rules and anglers do not get disturbed by other people, I know the thought of fishing commercial venues is a real turn off for many of the posters on here and elsewhere, but that is their choice, on rivers ( and I am speaking from experience ) you have to take the rough with the smooth, believe me in the height of summer the river Bure is an anglers nightmare because of the holiday cruisers, it is a fabulous river to fish but any sensible angler steers clear, it's no good bitching about it either, I am very wary of people that shout "Ban them/it" just because it does not fit in with their idea of a life , some people like to paddle on a river at the weekend for pleasure, some like to fish.....live and let live.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]