Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

Try Googling Australia, cats, culling. I can't be arsed spoon feeding you info freely and easily available on the web, look for yourself. By the way I was born, bred and brought up on a Dairy and chicken farm where we had approx 30 to 40 cats and I saw the damage they did first hand. Needless to say I cut their numbers down. I don't hate cats at all but if someone has one then they should keep it indoors or in a cattery or both, not let it run riot.

If a dog is straying around the street it is picked up by the dog wardens and if it isn't claimed sharpish it's for the chop in most cases, the same should be done with cats.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way since it's illegal to shoot feral Cats

Feral cats

The domestic cat and feral cat are one and the same animal - Felis catus. The family pet is classed as the personal property of its owner and any unjustified control may lead to prosecution. Although the cat's owner cannot be held liable for its actions, they could sue for damages should their cat come to any harm or go missing.

Feral cats are prolfic killers of nesting birds. If it can be shown that they have bred or are living in the wild then they may be humanely despatched.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Even at the figures that the RSPB quote that is still a shedload of dead animals and birds condoned and approved of by "animal lovers" who are probably anti-fieldsports.

Sounds about right to me.

I can remember going with the terriers, ferrets and shotguns hunting Rabbits in Creif and Cummrie, Perthshire Scotland ,right up in the hills. We where culling rabbits for the forestry commision on a regular basis and even right up there in the hills we often shot feral cats. I can remember bolting two out of one huge set/warren with the ferret which we disposed of. To me and in my experience a cat is far worse than any fox and do so much more damage. The chances of finding a true Scottish wild cat are virtually nil now due to feral cats flooding wild habitats and interbreeding with them. At the end of the day they shouldn't be allowed to wander round uncontrolled ...sh**ting in peoples gardens etc, etc .

I don't go along with the RSPB either. That would mean the cat kill averages out at 5.5 a year per cat. I think that is much too low.

Interestingly their total annual kill was 275,000,000, I believe that a larger proportion is made up of protected species of bird.

The other factor is that due to changes in farming practice a lot of birds that would not normally come into contact with cats are moving into Urban and Suburban garden environments as hedgerows are disappearing and being replaced by bushes and shrubs in gardens.

Even at the figures that the RSPB quote that is still a shedload of dead animals and birds condoned and approved of by "animal lovers" who are probably anti-fieldsports.

Most of the wild birds killed by cats would not make it trough the next winter. I know that cat's are a problem with wild life, but it's exaggerated.

Do you only accept evidence that you agree with Sportsman?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I don't see why cat owners can't be held responsible for their pet's actions. As a dog owner I am certainly responsible, in fact if I have several dogs and they chase and kill one fox I am apparently breaking the law.

Doesn't sound right to me :angry:

Most of the wild birds killed by cats would not make it trough the next winter. I know that cat's are a problem with wild life, but it's exaggerated.

Do you only accept evidence that you agree with Sportsman?

Which evidence is that. I haven't seen any evidence, all I have seen is an opinion. I already have one of those.

I have also not seen any evidence that the birds killed by cats would have died anyway

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

People soon start moaning when a Bird of prey takes a cat, there up in arms straight away and want the demon birds culling.

OH, I forgot to mention they only kill cats that are dying :rolleyes:

Edited by tigger

I don't see why cat owners can't be held responsible for their pet's actions.

Your the first 'country type person' rather than a townie that I have come across that does not understand why cats have a roaming commission under the law.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

To be honest Cory I was just being petulant.

The mad cat woman with 17 cats is often the madwoman who writes to the papers complaining about someone shooting in the countryside but when her brood of killers bring home the corpses night after night she just thinks that it's "cute"

This BTW is based on personal experience, and the mad cat woman exists :D

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

it depends on the cat ,i expect females are the biggest culprits bringing "food" home instinctively ,our tom was too bloody lazy to go out never mind hunt :rolleyes:

he went through the motions "chirring" out the window at birds but that and the occasional fly was the most effort he could muster ,moved pretty fast for cat food though and really "loved" you when roasted chestnuts were in the offing :D

theres plenty of cat collectors (usually women) just as theres collectors of many things ,mad perhaps going by the conditions i see very locally in a female animal collectors house certainly "strange" ,whilst not the worst type the place is clean but a certain smell comes home on your clothes with you.

on visits your eyes actually water she must be hardened to it but must notice it on going in from shopping etc

i love cats and certainly wouldnt use an airgun on one (airsoft though could be fun) but i have shot a dog up the bum when it hassled our geese ,watching it do a back flip then running away howling was amusing in the least but it did deserve it shouting had no effect.

technically speaking i could have killed it but the definition of live stock is on agricultural land so a garden may be different?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson